The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

If they can take even one game in this series they have a pretty good chance of making the post season.

If, Jays win one, Detroit would have to sweep the Braves, and win the make up game against Cleveland. I'm still pretty confident they are a wild card team. Having the tie breaker on Seattle, Baltimore, and Detroit puts them in a good position.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It was earlier in the year.  Now, the important parts of the bullpen just seem gassed.  They had to be perfect for too long and are starting to leak.

First half of the season they sucked. After the All Star break they were decent, but last quarter they're garbage again. Basically 3/4 of the season they've been trash.

Hard to believe that at the beginning of September, the Jays were trying to nail down the division title and now they're in danger of missing the playoffs entirely. Pretty sad way to see Bats and Edwing leave.

Unfortunately, a team that used to find ways to win is now finding ways to lose. Last night's contest was here for the taking, but one arrant throw on a dribbler changed everything.

I still think this team is too pull happy, but the bullpen shares a lot of the blame lately as well. The only thing that's working at the moment is the starting pitching, but they can only do so much....

I'm hoping that Gibby saw how they scored their first run last night and takes it to heart. Yes, Bats had the big blow, but if not for the small ball ahead of that hit, he probably doesn't even come to the plate.

Just imagine a 1 game playoff with the Tigers, just to see who gets to play a one game playoff with the O's...

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hard to believe that at the beginning of September, the Jays were trying to nail down the division title and now they're in danger of missing the playoffs entirely. Pretty sad way to see Bats and Edwing leave.

Unfortunately, a team that used to find ways to win is now finding ways to lose. Last night's contest was here for the taking, but one arrant throw on a dribbler changed everything.

I still think this team is too pull happy, but the bullpen shares a lot of the blame lately as well. The only thing that's working at the moment is the starting pitching, but they can only do so much....

I'm hoping that Gibby saw how they scored their first run last night and takes it to heart. Yes, Bats had the big blow, but if not for the small ball ahead of that hit, he probably doesn't even come to the plate.

Just imagine a 1 game playoff with the Tigers, just to see who gets to play a one game playoff with the O's...

Best starting pitching in the American League in September, I believe.  Just puts it in context with how inept the offence and bullpen have been when you have that lousy of a record with the best starting pitching....

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Best starting pitching in the American League in September, I believe.  Just puts it in context with how inept the offence and bullpen have been when you have that lousy of a record with the best starting pitching....

I bet if you told a bunch of baseball people that such a thing could have happened back in August, they'd have told you it was impossible.

But That's our Jays: Doing the impossible on a daily basis.:wacko:

Edited by RUPERTKBD

I just can't believe Rogers had to cheap out this year, it still pisses me off. AA should of been here for 1 more year, he knew what this team needed instead Rogers was scared with the contracts AA was going to offer or go after. Bringing in someone new a year after your team made the playoffs for the first time in 20+ years it's just retarded. Wasted to much time re evaluating his new team to figure out what needs to be done, just a complete joke imo and I put all the blame on Rogers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I just can't believe Rogers had to cheap out this year, it still pisses me off. AA should of been here for 1 more year, he knew what this team needed instead Rogers was scared with the contracts AA was going to offer or go after. Bringing in someone new a year after your team made the playoffs for the first time in 20+ years it's just retarded. Wasted to much time re evaluating his new team to figure out what needs to be done, just a complete joke imo and I put all the blame on Rogers. 

Rogers gave them the green light to spend in August. Pretty pathetic they couldn't in the off season. Frustrating for sure. But AA also traded Thor for Dickey so I couldnt care less he's gone.

The Jays' position here is not the fault of Rogers. They spent a bit at the deadline (Upton, Grilli, Navarro, Feldman, Benoit). 

The bullpen could definitely have been improved more, but when you look at that lineup, you expect that the bats would be able to come through more often and guys like Biagini, Grilli, Osuna, and Benoit wouldn't have to be perfect every inning. You'd be able to have Cecil, Loup, and Tepera to eat more innings in games that weren't as close. 

To me, the story of the regular season will be that the bats failed to adapt to the pressure of meaningful baseball down the stretch.

Yankees really helping out the Jays today.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 2