The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Linden to be new President of Vancouver Canucks

They started with the rumour, and this is the gist (talked more than I thought they would about it):

Steve Darling: Would you be interested?

TL: I've always said I'd consider it. Would be interested...said it for 6 years.

Would Canucks be the team if you made that transition?

Yes - home to me, been doing speaking events and various events across province and it's been fun. I wouldn't consider working anywhere else...not prepared to leave here. This is home to me...at the end of (his) playing days could have gone elsewhere but didn't/wouldn't. Same applies now.

Core of team's been there for a long time...would have to look at that.

Weigh in on what needs to be done?: difficult decisions to be made.

He spoke as if he was actually interested and didn't shy away. But that means little (as he said) - there have always been rumours about him...whether it be running for mayor or this.

They started with the rumour, and this is the gist (talked more than I thought they would about it):

Steve Darling: Would you be interested?

TL: I've always said I'd consider it. Would be interested...said it for 6 years.

Would Canucks be the team if you made that transition?

Yes - home to me, been doing speaking events and various events across province and it's been fun. I wouldn't consider working anywhere else...not prepared to leave here. This is home to me...at the end of (his) playing days could have gone elsewhere but didn't/wouldn't. Same applies now.

Core of team's been there for a long time...would have to look at that.

Weigh in on what needs to be done?: difficult decisions to be made.

He spoke as if he was actually interested and didn't shy away. But that means little (as he said) - there have always been rumours about him...whether it be running for mayor or this.

He doesn't even have the job, and he sounds like he's a good candidate.

I hope nobody expects Linden to be some sortof saviour at this point in time. Sakic, Foote and Roy came back to the Avs at the right time.

The Canucks right now are at THE BEGINNING of a rebuild. There are no new franchise players here yet. There's no hope of winning anything on the horizon.

Linden by all rights should decline the job until the timing is right. The Canucks should tank for new franchise players for the next 2-3 years. Then bring in a figurehead like Linden and give him a legit shot at success.

Who says it has to be like that? The Bruins brought Neely back as Vice-President in '07, and he took over as President in 2010. They didn't go overboard with anything. I'd say it sure didn't have a negative impact on the organization.

colorado also brought in Sakic and Roy and it seems to be going pretty damn good for them right now.

who are available GMs out there? I for one don't think Gillis is that bad, so if there is not a good replacement, then we better keep him. It's all about the replacement before the fire

There's a lot of talented assistant GM's out there. BriseBois, Verbeek, etc.

Just like there's a lot of talented assistant coaches, who might be ready for the big chair.

Instead of looking at the recycle bin, how about bring in some younger talent who has experience in finding, recruiting players and coaching?

Archived