The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Actually, what I said is that you're all of a sudden his most outspoken critic.

Call it "amazing ability" if you need to.

I've been a critic of his for a long time now. It's not "all of a sudden"

Not sure where you're even coming from if apparently don't follow my posts.

CDC basicially for 2 years:

FIRE GILLIS!

Now that he's fired:

WHAT A MISTAKE, OWNERS ARE GREEDY!!!

IMO, Gillis has done a good job. I think that he has done some very good stuff and then some bad stuff. Sometimes i do feel that the negatives outweigh the positives and sometimes i feel the exact opposite.

His job was a 7/10.

Now if we can get Nicholson and Linden, omg the amount of respect that other teams would have for our management would be unreal. No one would try to out do us then.

Common misconception Blueberries. There is no such thing as the voice or singular mind of CDC.

You may have noticed by now that there are opposing/contested opinions on matters. and a poll with a number of people on either side.

That's 100% incorrect.

He was in the process of trading the backbone of our franchise. A huge piece that we needed a good return on.

Then a lockout happens, in comes a new CBA, and Luongo's value is gone because of it. Is that Gillis's fault? No its not. He didn't back himself into a corner, goal posts where moved on him, and his hands were tied. The ownership group didn't want to retain salary & it forced him into trading Schneider. (I blamed ownership at the time of the trade, and I continue to blame them now)

No that's a 100% correct. If I saw that keeping 2 starting goalies and being a greedy bastard going into an uncertain CBA lockout situation was super dicey certainly the guy in charge should have seen that as well. In fact, as soon as Lou offered to move he should have been gone shortly after. That whole situation was grossly mismanaged to the extreme. Anyone that disagrees is deluding themselves to the max.

Also, how many years did you plan on giving him to figure out something he should have learned at least 3 years ago?

Also, how many years did you plan on giving him to figure out something he should have learned at least 3 years ago?

That's the thing about Gillis. I thought in the beginning, him making Lu the captain and offering Sundin 20 million was just his way of showing people that he was a bold and outside the box thinker.

Unfortunately his bold outside the box thinking left him without an elite goaltender after having two, an aging core with no immediate help coming up from below, and a bunch of unmovable contracts.

It doesn't seem like he was learning how to be a better GM, it seems like he was making the same mistakes again and again.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a hard on for the possibility of Linden being GM? He hasn't work a day in a hockey front office, ever, and you want him to jump right to the top. Yikes.

That what MG did. Could Linden do any worse? I doubt it...

I don't feel like Gillis's back was against the wall after Schneider was traded. So according to your statement, Gillis did make a bold move by trading Luongo when Gillis's back wasn't against the wall.

Well if you followed the story closer you also knew that Lou said it was highly unlikely he could remain in Vancouver next year. There was also speculation of some bitterness between the parties. Regardless Lou had to be traded during thi9s year, or this summer. We got the most we possibly could and stopped the bleeding. So yeah, his back was completely against the wall because he traded the guy that wanted to be here and kept the guy that publicaly wanted to be traded. Obviously looking at the return can prove that as well.

He really didn't "pick it apart" but okay.

1) First of all, this team is in a transition period because Gillis failed from 2008 to 2010 to draft any players that could be put in the lineup to help keep us competitive. That's on him.

2) Detroit is one of the best organizations in the NHL. To compare Gillis and the Canucks to them is embarrassing for them. For the average team, there's a shelf life for a GM, and ours appeared to reach his.

Yes you're right things changed. Which was Gillis' idea of how to build a team. He even admitted himself that he let the team get away from the way he wanted them to play. 3) He let that happen the day he traded Hodgson and Ehrhoff. Trading skill for toughness is what killed this team.

4) This team had no direction under Gillis, don't kid yourself.

He should have traded Schneider when he had the chance knowing that he was the more moveable asset and that moving Luongo would be alot trickier. Both goalies were just as good, but one had more value and was easier to trade. It was really a simpler solution than you're pretending it was. 5) We would still have Lu, and Lack if he had done things the right way.

6) He could have always put a limited no trade clause in it with a contract that massive. Not that hard.

1) I put 2008 on Nonis aside from the Hodgson pick.

2) Its called following a model, looking at a winner, trying to incorporate that into what you do and striving to be like that. If we aren't going to strive to be great, then I don't want to be a fan of this team.

3) He did change the direction of this team, and he realized that recently, which is what I mean, he tried to get back to what made this team successful. And it didn't matter what our direction was, we couldn't afford Ehrhoff, he didn't want to take a fair deal, I'm sure Gillis would have loved to have brought him back but you need 2 to tango.

4) This is ironic. Cause you and others talk about him being handed a core and whatever. Well then why couldn't the previous regime win with this core if it was the same core??? Because he came in, and changed the direction of the team, changed the culture and thats the biggest thing he did, and without it this team wouldn't have had the success it did. And I think alot of you Gillis hater's can't see or look past that.

5) And we would be right back in the same position we had this year. Your speculating on Schneider's value at the time, and overvaluing it. Again look at the Bernier trade, Bernier at the time was in the same spot Schneider was then. That's a good comparable to judge his value. Last I checked Bernier didn't bring home a Carter like return, and I'm not sure what else we would have added. But it would have been something big & crippling.

And then if he did, he would have ended up getting criticized for that aswell.

6) Luongo was our franchise player & arguably the best goalie in the world, when your a franchise player, you get a full NMC, just look around the league.

1) I put 2008 on Nonis aside from the Hodgson pick.

2) Its called following a model, looking at a winner, trying to incorporate that into what you do and striving to be like that. If we aren't going to strive to be great, then I don't want to be a fan of this team.

3) He did change the direction of this team, and he realized that recently, which is what I mean, he tried to get back to what made this team successful. And it didn't matter what our direction was, we couldn't afford Ehrhoff, he didn't want to take a fair deal, I'm sure Gillis would have loved to have brought him back but you need 2 to tango.

4) This is ironic. Cause you and others talk about him being handed a core and whatever. Well then why couldn't the previous regime win with this core if it was the same core??? Because he came in, and changed the direction of the team, changed the culture and thats the biggest thing he did, and without it this team wouldn't have had the success it did. And I think alot of you Gillis hater's can't see or look past that.

5) And we would be right back in the same position we had this year. Your speculating on Schneider's value at the time, and overvaluing it. Again look at the Bernier trade, Bernier at the time was in the same spot Schneider was then. That's a good comparable to judge his value. Last I checked Bernier didn't bring home a Carter like return, and I'm not sure what else we would have added. But it would have been something big & crippling.

And then if he did, he would have ended up getting criticized for that aswell.

6) Luongo was our franchise player & arguably the best goalie in the world, when your a franchise player, you get a full NMC, just look around the league.

Because the core hit their prime when gillis was in charge? Iunno.

No that's a 100% correct. If I saw that keeping 2 starting goalies and being a greedy bastard going into an uncertain CBA lockout situation was super dicey certainly the guy in charge should have seen that as well. In fact, as soon as Lou offered to move he should have been gone shortly after. That whole situation was grossly mismanaged to the extreme. Anyone that disagrees is deluding themselves to the max.

Have you not read anything I've been saying.

He was working on a Luongo trade.

This was a player who had a big contract, wanted a trade & held the power to do what he wanted, then you had an active ownership on top of that. Aswell its not like this was a huge market to begin with.

In hindsight yes it would have been great to get a trade done, but realistically, there were so many variables that played a part in the entire situation. This was a valuable asset, and he needed to get a return off this. If he didn't the hate he would have gotten would make the hate he's getting now from guys like you & De Niro & the Moj child's play. In hindsight yes we can say things should have been done differently.

At the time, alot of people didn't want Luongo to be thrown away for nothing, and were expecting a boatload back, imagine if we had made the trade then and got what we ended up with today? The whole city would be outside Gillis's house with pitchforks.

Nazzy stepping down as GM at Modo.

Bob Nicholson stepping down as President at Hockey Canada.

Trev rumours today.

All these things that seemed to be mutually exclusive a few days ago suddenly may not be.

Nazzy stepping down as GM at Modo.

Bob Nicholson stepping down as President at Hockey Canada.

Trev rumours today.

All these things that seemed to be mutually exclusive a few days ago suddenly may not be.

Nicholson for President

Naslund for GM

Linden for Head Coach

Archived