The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good news unless we hire an idiot to replace him.

only reason I wanted him fired was if we have a good replacement and right now lets be honest you need a experienced gm to fix this not Linden or Naslund.

Nicholson or Burke. Any other replacement will end up being a disaster short term and long term

To people saying "he had to go", do you remember when they said that about Vigneault? Remember how that worked out for us?

Seems the Rangers are doing just fine with the guy that was "the" problem last year.

rangers were a second round playoff team last year... and have a little lower winning % than last year and guys like rick nash have their production cut in half under AV compared to torts...

Hard to believe that after so much success, we miss the playoffs one season and our GM is gone.

He did some great things for this franchise, especially early on in his tenure. Pulled all the right strings the first few years. Perhaps lost his touch in the recent past, but deserves a lot of credit for taking the Canucks to new highs.

rangers were a second round playoff team last year... and have a little lower winning % than last year and guys like rick nash have their production cut in half under AV compared to torts...

stop being in denial look at the canucks record agaisnt the conteders last year and look at it now. AV is the better coach hands down and firing him was a huge mistake. This is even a bigger mistake. I can't believe this our team is being dismantled just like every other canadian team that goes to the finals does. This is a sad sad day.

Ya think Lou will have anything to Tweet out? After all, was it not Francesco who was at his house when Schneids got traded and the man formerly known as GMMG was pulling the strings on that trade? It seemed the man formerly known as GMMG and Lou did not have a great relationship. I supported him up until we got next to nothing for Schneids and then Lou. Upward and onward.

I am absolutely astonished at this damn fan base.

How many people are saying this is a mistake now? Give me a break.

We've been calling for his head for 2 years!

Mike Gillis, is a classless buffoon, and this organization can finally get back on track without him at the helm.

You tools need to wake up.

I have never been calling for his head.

Your description of MG more closely resembles yourself IMHO.

It's about time.

While we all could speculate that the Aquilini's were meddling in Gillis' job, none of us actually know. We may think we do, because we read the Province or listen to 1040, but in actual fact, unless someone within the organization comes out and says it, it's speculation.

Gillis made some good moves when he was here, for the first three seasons, but the teams actual record since 2011 speaks for itself. They went from Game 7 of the Finals, to a first round exit with one win, to being swept in the first round, to not making it in this year.

Gillis presided over and managed the team during this. He hired Tortorella, he signed players, and traded others for prospects. He gave players NTC's then asked them to waive them. All of this was him.

Anyone wanting to blame those moves on ownership "meddling" should come up with actual facts and not conjecture or speculation. There is enough of that going around here.

Yes he helped build a contender, but he lacked the ability to sustain it.

It was time.

Perfectly fine with this move. Just the goalie debacle itself would have been enough to make me question how Gillis remained at the helm. But he made so many poor trades and signings that it was time for him to go.

The problem is that the team is now in shambles, and we don't really have ideal assets to rebuild.

Dark days.

I am absolutely astonished at this damn fan base.

How many people are saying this is a mistake now? Give me a break.

We've been calling for his head for 2 years!

Mike Gillis, is a classless buffoon, and this organization can finally get back on track without him at the helm.

You tools need to wake up.

The stupid people were the ones calling for AV's head and that resulted in his firing which has been a disaster so far. Now that gillis is gone the queit people who supported gillis are expressing their frustration since they know this is bad move.

Archived