The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sad day.

GMMG was the best we have had.

This was always going to be the "down year" from the time he decided to revamp the team to "bigger, faster, younger".

The fans and the owners couldn't wait it out; just another week and then everything would have been "next year".

The new GM will be getting a sweet deal.

Lots of cap space to sign a very good UFA, several bigger, faster, younger players, lots of young talent coming up, and a great farm system.

Thanks Mike Gillis, really sorry to see you go.

I don't see Torts sticking around, the new GM will demand to put his own stamp on this team.
It's pretty clear that the players don't care much for Torts (the display last night at Anaheim was incredibly poor).

Regarding the posters comments about the changes that MG brought in were largely positive, in the use of science, refocus on player development. I think that trend will be kept. The major failings of MG were in player movement (GM) and his rapport with players and the public (president). Not suprising he was canned.

Breaking News about Jay Feaster? FFS
This would be horrible...

I agree.

People here have no clue...including me. We don't know the issues behind the scene or what develops under the surface. People want to chant something and glom onto whatever it is in a hot ticket item deal. Rah rah rah.

Fire AV. Fire Gillis. Vote for Rory. It's never ending.

I, for one, feel MG did a good job for the most part and think we keep looking for fall guys and a process of elimination means we have to have replacements. They aren't always guaranteed to be upgrades. We'll see, but I am apprehensive and don't feel the urge to rejoice here.

+1

I guess one extra bonus that hasn't gotten much attention is that there is nothing stopping a new GM from asking players with NTC's to waive them. Not saying they will or won't but the NTC's were Gillis' supposed no go zone. This can only make any sort of rebuild/reset a bit easier.

It's about time.

While we all could speculate that the Aquilini's were meddling in Gillis' job, none of us actually know. We may think we do, because we read the Province or listen to 1040, but in actual fact, unless someone within the organization comes out and says it, it's speculation.

Gillis made some good moves when he was here, for the first three seasons, but the teams actual record since 2011 speaks for itself. They went from Game 7 of the Finals, to a first round exit with one win, to being swept in the first round, to not making it in this year.

Gillis presided over and managed the team during this. He hired Tortorella, he signed players, and traded others for prospects. He gave players NTC's then asked them to waive them. All of this was him.

Anyone wanting to blame those moves on ownership "meddling" should come up with actual facts and not conjecture or speculation. There is enough of that going around here.

Yes he helped build a contender, but he lacked the ability to sustain it.

It was time.

This.

I like this move because now the new guy doesn't owe all the players with NTCs a god damn thing. Time to finally RESET

Agreed! Personally, I didn't think firing Gillis was the best move. I would've given him the summer to correct our failings... BUT that said -

No more of this 'reset' rhetoric. This team needs to be completely retooled. And a new GM will be distant enough from the organization's past decisions as to move players, perhaps even those with NTC's.

Change is coming. Buckle up.

only reason I wanted him fired was if we have a good replacement and right now lets be honest you need a experienced gm to fix this not Linden or Naslund.

Nicholson or Burke. Any other replacement will end up being a disaster short term and long term

No to that gasbag Burke.

Jay Feaster plus Torts.

Aquaman trying to turn the clock back 10 years.

This ownership is going to run this franchise into the ground.

Prepare for some very dark years fellow Canuck fans.

I thought you wanted Gillis fired MJD?

Archived