The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

That is a hometown myth. Linden was incredibly unpopular due to the players believing he rolled over in his time in the PA and got them a bad contract.

Other players were slamming him for years afterwards.

Yeah, the only thing Linden is "known for" around the league is (arguably) illegally taking a position in the NHLPA and then abandoning the players to what was considered a horrible contract at the time, then disappearing never to be seen again.

But sure, a hero to everyone in the NHL, let's go with that.

I'm pretty sure you have no clue what Bob Nicholson did as CEO and president of Hockey Canada and haven't the ounce of knowledge to understand what you're talking about.

No kidding. That was a pretty sweeping statement about what he hasn't done and the only thing he got right or could be certain about was him having never held an NHL position before.

Trevor Linden is a terrible choice for a position that isn't similar to where Yzerman started in Detroit.

Brendan Shanahan, Marc Messier and Wayne Gretzky are where I'd look for player icon President and GM types. Y'all need to remember that there is probably going to be only one hiring, not two. The Aquillnis don't need another mouthpiece because they already had that. I'm fairly certain that they don't really think they're hockey savvy.

They want someone who is going to bring respectability back to Vancouver. For those of you that read Messier, you need to remember that the Canucks could rebuild many burnt bridges by bringing him into the fold. His presence would probably necessitate a Sedin trade and it's hard to say how feasible that is(How do you move $14 million locked up in two players who always have to play together?)

I hope the've taken their time with this and this isn't some quick jump to a decision. Id be Okay with Nicholson or Linden in a President role and quite cautious if they promoted Linden straight to GM, Naslund for that fact also. Id rather a guy have some actual experience, in Lindens case.. If you want to bring him into the organization why not as an assistant and have him work his way up.

I really want to see some new blood in here and not become the Oilers old boys club.

Its hard to know what is true and whats not but Gillis pretty much making an ultimatum to the Aqualini's makes me really wonder who was running the show. We'll probably never know but there were very vocal reports that Torts hiring was strongly pushed by Aquaman and it certainly seems to be the case. Makes you wonder who really is the problem here.

Linden's my all-time favourite Canuck. I loved his play on the ice, his charity work, and the fact he stuck around in Vancouver after he retired. He'd be great in a PR capacity. That being said, I don't want him as the GM, because I don't want to see him blamed for the team performing poorly.

Bob Nicholson has no NHL experience..He's never traded,drafted,signed free agents etc..I see him in administration...not as GM.

Linden,Naslund,Smyl are also not GM material IMO...They need a guy who knows the ropes..Fenton,Benning etc

To be fair, neither did Gillis. Neither did Yzerman either.

He's a smart enough hockey guy that I'm sure he could figure it out.

That being said I think he would make a better President than GM. Bring a guy like Blake in who's had a bit of experience and is chomping at the bit to be a GM.

Honestly, Nicholson as President would be perfect, he can choose a good GM (praying its Naslund) and i doubt owners will be willing or able to influence a man of his stature.

Pres: Nicholson

VP: Linden (For Experience, which he has none of btw)

GM: Naslund

AGM: Gilman

Coach: Torts (one more chance)

If Bob Nicholson becomes President, I'd have to think that Jim Benning would have as good a shot as anyone at the GM position given Chiarelli and Nicholson's relationship through the mens Olympic team.

One would think he'd put a lot of stock into what Peter Chiarelli tells him about Jim Benning.

Archived