The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

Wow. The guy wanted media guys to burn in hell and all I said was that Linden was still technically a liar (which he was, hence the apology by him) and CDC proceeds to go on all out offensive.

Non-issue though.

I think Francesco hired the right guy. Linden can flush this team down the toilet for decades and will still get a free pass. (Not that I'm saying he will, Jesus. I mean Linden.)

Trevor Linden is no doubt one of (if not THE most) respected person to don the Canuck jersey.

He was my favourite player when I was a teenager, and I couldn't help but smile when I heard the news.

Having said that, he hasn't been involved in the league since retiring. He doesn't have the experience in team management at any level, even in a junior role, so he is very green with respect to this senior position.

I do understand that he has successful business ventures and he was a big part of the NHLPA years ago, but he is being hired to select a General Manager for this team and also to supervise and provide input on the hockey personnel, and there isn't a lot of background on Linden's resume.

Please understand that I hope he turns this team around, but the cynical part of me can't help but feel this might be mostly a PR move to save season ticket sales.

k.

Willes referring to his job as 'overlord' is a hockey question?

What was Botchford looking for in asking a follow up to the hot key conflict between Gillis and Tortorella? Call it a hockey question if you want - but I've scarcely seen a line of "hockey talk" in any article Botchford has ever written. It's all about the drama.

These guys crap is always loaded.

As someone else mentioned here, if people think Linden is too nice a guy, they are forgetting the way he played the game. Yeah, he's a nice guy - who will run you over (in the right way) when he has the opportunity.

Yeah, its a hockey question. Who doesn't want to know how this new structure is concocted. It will be a big factor in what kind of GMs will be interested in taking the job. Most GMs that are worth considering, will not want to be a puppet.

This is the entertainment industry. Botch fills a role. Its his job to be on the edge. And being on the edge is not about lobbing politically correct soft balls.

You forgot to mention turning around the perception of the team to the NHL who seem to view us as a bunch of "thinking-outside-the-box" divers, whiners and (sometimes) cheapshot artists a lot of the time. Trevor will almost certainly help change that... provided of course that we stop diving and cheapshotting players. I'm certain that he will encourage a new way of thinking when it comes to things like team pride and "hard" play; we won't be wimps but we won't be goons either. I'm sure potential free agents will be much more likely to consider Vancouver as a serious destination with him at the helm. We'll be like... well a lot like Trevor Linden was as a player. Hopefully.

Every team dives. The whole diving thing was just a creation of the eastern media. And the reason the haters thought we dived more is because we always killed it in the powerplay.

Does anyone remember in 2003 when Linden told Burrows to spread the snow out around the net of the oppositions goal just after the goalie just finished cleaning it up ? I do. Just sayin.. This is hockey.

Linden better lean on Pat Quinn -as in hire him in some capacity as a special advisor ASAP.

Linden has a little to no clue and this is all PR face saving candy coating.

Sure,he can make a go of it but he better get a mentor on the payroll as fast as he can.

Thought about this all throughout the day. I think its a good move. Linden is a smart guy. Who also knows everyone in the business. If he hires a good gm i.e. not Feaster, then im on board for the next Canucks era. Gillis wasnt horrible , but he wasnt great either. Aside from "pampering" his players and enticing free agents he didnt do much. His 2013 draft might be his saving grace though.

It's OFFICIAL... This just in... Rookie (completely green) president now in charge of the Vancouver Canucks hockey operations.-------------> W E A R E R E A L L Y S C R E W E D N O W <----------

Just like how New Jersey was screwed all those years when Lamoriello took over as a rookie President and GM.

Linden better lean on Pat Quinn -as in hire him in some capacity as a special advisor ASAP.

Linden has a little to no clue and this is all PR face saving candy coating.

Sure,he can make a go of it but he better get a mentor on the payroll as fast as he can.

Did you even listen to the press conference? He has a great advisor in Gillman right now, a guy who should be a GM. He will look inside the org first then look outside for possible AGM from another team if he fits the profile he wants. I like that he talked to Cam Neely another guy who took time off from hockey before he came back to win a cup. Baby steps is what he needs to do and I bet Neely told him just that. Btw I thought you would be happy that the big bad beast was fired out of here.

Very happy with this hiring. I really think it was a great choice. Linden is not only a fan favorite, he is also very well respected around the league. He is passionate about winning and may not have NHL management experience, but he has worked with the NHLPA and has managed the gyms under his name. And I believe he will make sure that he has the right people around him to guide him though his early days. Good luck Trevor!

Out of respect for the guy in place, he did what he had to. You don't give information before official announcements have been made. Here's the rule of thumb...if a lie doesn't hurt anyone and is actually to save someone some bad feelings then it was done in good faith. Nothing that was "lied" about caused anyone pain or suffering, so it's pretty much a non issue.

It wasn't anything sneaky it's simply protocol to follow a process when someone's being fired and a replacement's coming in. You try to do it tactfully and allow for pride and dignity.

He was actually booked on Global for his fitness center expansion into other areas of fitness...so those questions likely caught him off guard and he really didn't have to answer any of them.

Morally lying isn't the best policy but in today's day and age of media with the twitter, facebook, bloggers, and overabundance of horrible writers that are mostly overbearing stalkers I have absolutely no problem with lying to them. Straight up in their face, I couldn't care less.

There is no way that the media should be able to ask you a question and then basically say it's a "yes" answer if you refuse comment. If they bend the rules I'm breaking them. Screw them.

I used to deliver the Province in the Interior in the early '60's .. it has sunk to new lows, tho .. the Province belongs on the outside speculating .. I have a lot more trust in those media folks who spend time with the team .. the Two John's and Murph .. I realize they are 'mouth pieces' to a certain extent, but they are good for the Canucks.

I find it hilarious that little crybabies like you and old news take shots at the Vancouver sports writers that actually ask the TOUGH questions that most others are afraid to ask. This city and team NEEDS those kinds of writers and radio hosts, its called journalism not team promotion.

And then of course you mention Shorty, Cheech and Murph (lets thrown in Valk) as the media you trust. Are you kidding me?!!? The 4 BIGGEST Canuck fanboys who do nothing but kiss the ass of this team on EVERY broadcast are the ones you trust.

Is there any reason that you can't listen to all sides and realize that the Botch's and Willes' etc asking the tough and sometimes "dramatic" questions are needed to counteract the fluff that the "Two-Johns" etc throw in our faces 65 nights a year..?

Yeah, its a hockey question. Who doesn't want to know how this new structure is concocted. It will be a big factor in what kind of GMs will be interested in taking the job. Most GMs that are worth considering, will not want to be a puppet.

This is the entertainment industry. Botch fills a role. Its his job to be on the edge. And being on the edge is not about lobbing politically correct soft balls.

You're convenietly sidestepping a few things.

First was the use of the word "overlord". This is a guy who makes a living piecing words together that's how he chose to frame something he doesn't understand.

Secondly, as Linden promptly responded, the structure that Willes is referring to as "new" is in fact used by many, many franchises spanning various professional sports leagues - NHL, NBA, NFL....

It was an ignorant, leading and patronizing question.

No problem though, because Trevor Linden is not the vulnerable, inexperienced bushy tailed man a lot of people seem to be characterizing him as. There may be some small minds that can't wrap themselves around the fact that a 44 year old man with a lifetime of hockey in his blood, with lots of negotiating and leadership experience is capable of stepping in and doing a great job. Moreover, Linden absolutely and clearly said that he has not only taken counsel from his peers who are experienced, but also intends to surround himself with intelligent and independent thinkers who can help guide him. I'm very confident that Trevor Linden will have no difficulty whatsoever attracting highly competent people willing to work with him. The fact that you've already run with some fairly unfounded anxiety regarding who would be willing to work with Linden in the structure Willies does not understand but has named as "overlord" might indicate how succeptible you are to this kind of suggestion - and that is all it is, at best.

Yes. Botchford fills a role - which I suppose if you were to work hard enough to find a positive spin for it, would be to endlessly nip at the heels of Canucks management and coaching, in a manner that lacks real hockey substance to qualify it, and is quite easy to pigeonhole, which has the effect of rallying fans to support their franchise and to dismiss his perpetual spoiler-act outright

I find it hilarious that little crybabies like you and old news take shots at the Vancouver sports writers that actually ask the TOUGH questions that most others are afraid to ask. This city and team NEEDS those kinds of writers and radio hosts, its called journalism not team promotion.

And then of course you mention Shorty, Cheech and Murph (lets thrown in Valk) as the media you trust. Are you kidding me?!!? The 4 BIGGEST Canuck fanboys who do nothing but kiss the ass of this team on EVERY broadcast are the ones you trust.

Is there any reason that you can't listen to all sides and realize that the Botch's and Willes' etc asking the tough and sometimes "dramatic" questions are needed to counteract the fluff that the "Two-Johns" etc throw in our faces 65 nights a year..?

King of the ES, is that you?

Do these talking heads understand that Linden has a responsibility to his team first and foremost?

Professionals have to lie all the time when representing their clients. Lawyers...damn straight.

Even the press, when they go undercover, must tell lies to get a story.

Police...OMG do they ever.

Realtors...sometimes for their clients they must. The list goes on.

This is the real world folks and Trevor is President of hockey ops in a media frenzied hockey market.

This is just practice for the multitude of lies he will have to tell when the press asks him...are you planning on trading so and so? Do you think the team is playing good right now? The list goes on. It's the job of the GM and management to keep secrets.

It's called doing his job.

Archived