The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Jim Benning has a huge task ahead of him if this news is true

Yep it's true, all signs pointing towards him.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

Linden has continued to interview others but Benning's interview reportedly went well. He remains leading candidate for GM, at this point.

Hope he can get it done in this crazy market.

Yep it's true, all signs pointing towards him.

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

Linden has continued to interview others but Benning's interview reportedly went well. He remains leading candidate for GM, at this point.

Hope he can get it done in this crazy market.

At least it sounds like the interview process is moving along, hopefully we don't have to wait until the playoffs are over. The more time they have to concentrate on the draft the better.

I was watching coverage of this ad nauseum yesterday and with the firing of Shero, Iain MacIntyre was worrying that the Pens might scoop Benning on the Canucks.

On the face of it, it looks like typical Vancouver sportswriter pessimism, but he did make one good point: Although Benning is a Westerner, he's been living in the east since 1994 and his family is settled there. It's entirely possible that the Washington and now Pittsburgh jobs are more appealing. (especially Pitts, as he'd have Sid, Geno, Kunitz and Letang to work with)

The good news is, according to TSN and Sportsnet, Pittsburgh has promoted Jason Botterill to interim GM and it doesn't look like they're in any particular hurry to name a permanent GM. I could see a scenario where the Pens let JB and the other management staff look after the draft and choose their new guy afterward. That guy could conceivably be Botterill.

So although, Trev may want to interview Shero as part of his due diligence, I don't think the Pittsburgh situation changes the dynamic all that much.

The good news is, according to TSN and Sportsnet, Pittsburgh has promoted Jason Botterill to interim GM and it doesn't look like they're in any particular hurry to name a permanent GM. I could see a scenario where the Pens let JB and the other management staff look after the draft and choose their new guy afterward. That guy could conceivably be Botterill.

The rumour I've seen floating around is the Pens are looking into Crosby's agent as a potential GM replacement. Botterill has to be someone they're considering as well, since there's no given Brisson wants to leave the agent business.

I don't think Benning's rumoured as a top choice in either Pitts or Wash and with the news of the recent second interview for us - which I doubt was just him coming to us to say he'd like to consider the other options as well - other teams may even be looking past him to an extent.

The rumour I've seen floating around is the Pens are looking into Crosby's agent as a potential GM replacement. Botterill has to be someone they're considering as well, since there's no given Brisson wants to leave the agent business.

I don't think Benning's rumoured as a top choice in either Pitts or Wash and with the news of the recent second interview for us - which I doubt was just him coming to us to say he'd like to consider the other options as well - other teams may even be looking past him to an extent.

I heard that as well, but the consensus seemed to be that it would be a huge conflict of interest with Brisson representing Sid and Geno. (and Letang as well, I think)

I actually think that the Pens' drafting has been pretty good. Maata, Pouliot, Bennet....I think Botterill would be a solid choice.

Brian Lawton is saying that Benning doesn't want the Canucks GM job. Not sure I believe him, but throwing it out there.

Seems weird, Linden just did a second interview with Benning...It would have ended at the first if he wasn't interested.

Seems weird, Linden just did a second interview with Benning...It would have ended at the first if he wasn't interested.

2nd interview to close the deal. Just wants to make sure they are on the same page about hiring Trotz.

There is no doubt about it that there is a conspiracy of western Canadian hockey people assembling in

Vancouver!

I heard that as well, but the consensus seemed to be that it would be a huge conflict of interest with Brisson representing Sid and Geno. (and Letang as well, I think)

I actually think that the Pens' drafting has been pretty good. Maata, Pouliot, Bennet....I think Botterill would be a solid choice.

Clearly if he became GM he could no longer be the agent for anyone, much like Gillis did with his clients. No problem with Botterill for them though.

I was watching coverage of this ad nauseum yesterday and with the firing of Shero, Iain MacIntyre was worrying that the Pens might scoop Benning on the Canucks.

On the face of it, it looks like typical Vancouver sportswriter pessimism, but he did make one good point: Although Benning is a Westerner, he's been living in the east since 1994 and his family is settled there. It's entirely possible that the Washington and now Pittsburgh jobs are more appealing. (especially Pitts, as he'd have Sid, Geno, Kunitz and Letang to work with)

So although, Trev may want to interview Shero as part of his due diligence, I don't think the Pittsburgh situation changes the dynamic all that much.

If the Pens scoop Benning the Canucks could als turn around and scoop Botterill. He is pretty established as well....lol.

Seriously, you have to believe that the Pens are going to give the reigns to Botterill at least for a little while to test drive him as the potential replacement. He has been the heir apparent there after all. Plus he would be a very good choice for Pittsburgh to keep and promote.

If the Pens scoop Benning the Canucks could als turn around and scoop Botterill. He is pretty established as well....lol.

Seriously, you have to believe that the Pens are going to give the reigns to Botterill at least for a little while to test drive him as the potential replacement. He has been the heir apparent there after all. Plus he would be a very good choice for Pittsburgh to keep and promote.

I agree. It's what I would do if I were running the Pens.

Archived