The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Sounds to me like the change is going to come from Benning actually doing a ton of amateur scouting himself, going into the trenches with the guys. Seems to me like that is uncommon for a GM.

I love this. It will make it pretty obvious regarding whether or not a scout is up to snuff as well too.

You can't disagree with the Bruins trading Seguin. It was the right move at the time.

1. He wasn't a fit with the team

2. He had off ice issues

3. His weaknesses had seen little improvement

4. Would you rather trade one of Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, or Marchand to keep him around? Don't think so.

They got Loui Eriksson, a player that caused CDC users mouths to froth and wanted Vancouver to trade for him so badly, a young top 6 forward in Smith. Bottom 6 prospect in Fraser, and a potential top 4 D in Morrow.

I really don't see how Boston wouldn't pull that trade off.. It's too bad that Loui just hasn't found his game yet.

You can't? You can't have an opinion?

1. I'm sure 80 point 1st liners are a good fit on any team.

2. Fair, he had growing up to do, so did Kane, so did Richards & Carter. Among others. Not enough of an issue to solely move a young kid like that on IMO.

3. Disagree, he was getting better as a whole. He was poised to take another step forward IMO. (And he did)

4. They didn't have to trade anyone, they could have kept all of them and Seguin.

The deal was fine, they just didn't trade him at the right time IMO, should have waited a bit longer, could have got more, but they still got a pretty good return so it is what it is. Both sides ended up with positives from the deal.

Yeah he seemed to be really high on Horvat. Which is good.

He did mention we need to get bigger too. I got the impression we'd be picking Ritchie actually.

I got the impression that we would be looking at more of a guy like Virtanen. Has lots of skill but isn't afraid to mix it up when need be. Also he's pretty fast.

We're never going to stop arguing about who we should pick. Even after we pick a guy there are going to be tons of people mad as hell cause the guy they wanted didn't get picked. It's going to be annoying.

Yeah he seemed to be really high on Horvat. Which is good.

I got the impression that we would be looking at more of a guy like Virtanen. Has lots of skill but isn't afraid to mix it up when need be. Also he's pretty fast.

We're never going to stop arguing about who we should pick. Even after we pick a guy there are going to be tons of people mad as hell cause the guy they wanted didn't get picked. It's going to be annoying.

Going to be? .. :)

The Boston will never be out of Benning. You don't spend eight years somewhere, part under the best of circumstances, and then just sever all emotional ties. Which is fine, it would honestly strike me as odd and unsettling if he said something like "Boston? Yeah, f**k those guys!" in his first interview.

At the end of the day though, from listening to his interviews most of the day, Benning sounds like a dude who wants to carve out his legacy here. I'm stoked for the draft.

Benning did well for the Sabres as a scout. Hopefully he'll do just as well for the Canucks. The Sabres almost chose him last year, but Murray edged him out in the end.

Linden made a good choice.

Wasn't it that Benning didn't want to be force into keeping Ted Nolan?

Anyway, the Sabres are miles ahead of us on a rebuild. Tons of picks coming up.

He's going to be very restricted on the changes he'll be able to make. I expect he'll keep most of the core, save a move or two, and revamp the bottom 6 and defense.

Did I even say "trade" in my comments? <_< Read what I said over again.

What I feel he's going to do is he's going to make changes to our depth with the addition of key pieces through the draft. I doubt that he's going to swing a deal unless the opportunity is there to pick up a solid piece of the puzzle. We need to rebuild the prospects pool with some key drafting. And no good team has a shallow prospect pool.

Certainly with changes to the core and the addition of playing the younger players so that they get NHL experience, they will create a "culture" in the Canucks that has sorely been lacking. It's not going to be an easy road and nobody should expect that it's going to be. For several years now, the Canucks have let their younger players sit in the AHL, it's time to let them come up and show their mettle and be evaluated on whether they have what it takes to stay in the Canucks organization.

It's going to take awhile to get the Boston out of Benning.

To be fair to guys like Jim and Trevor, they grew up playing in an age when Boston and Vancouver had a pretty good relationship with each other. I thought it was pretty classy of Neely to let Jim come to us as soon as the season ended as well, probably feels a little guilt over how we got fleeced with Pederson lol.

No. But when Benning says what he did about scouting staff it doesn't sound like he's going to make any changes. Drafting has never been strong suit for this oragnization in his entire history.

He specifically said he'd give then instruction and help them get better. He also hesitated to go further with a "but if" sentence that would have sounded like "but if they can't do the job they'll be replaced". Good people or not is irrelevant.

He looks like the type of guy who will fire you on the spot if you don't do your job properly, management or player. "Properly" in this case is the Benning way.

Not one current Canucks scout can claim to be more knowledgeable about young upcoming players.

To be fair to guys like Jim and Trevor, they grew up playing in an age when Boston and Vancouver had a pretty good relationship with each other. I thought it was pretty classy of Neely to let Jim come to us as soon as the season ended as well, probably feels a little guilt over how we got fleeced with Pederson lol.

Or maybe Neely is just that type of guy...

Wasn't it that Benning didn't want to be force into keeping Ted Nolan?

Anyway, the Sabres are miles ahead of us on a rebuild. Tons of picks coming up.

Miles ahead of the Canucks on a rebuild... That's because the Canucks are NOT rebuilding. They're staying the course while inserting youth in the lineup.

Archived