The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

If Ehlers is 170-175 and the top 5 are taken Ekblad,Reinhart,Bennett,Draisatil and MDC I say take the chance on Ehlers he is close to 6' feet I think. If he ends up being 6'0 or 6'1 185-190 we have a steal in him

Doesn't have the frame to put on that kind of muscle.

If Ehlers is 170-175 and the top 5 are taken Ekblad,Reinhart,Bennett,Draisatil and MDC I say take the chance on Ehlers he is close to 6' feet I think. If he ends up being 6'0 or 6'1 185-190 we have a steal in him

I think the canucks would be gun shy on picking a guy like that, after drafting Shroeder. I know hes bigger but still under sized.

I agree with you mostly, but my thinking on the reason they passed on Nichushkin was mainly because hes Russian. I think the only knock on Virtanen, is he is an up and down power forward and not a play maker. He has a TON of raw potential though and hes young for his draft class.

Also remember we are under new management. We likely won't just be acquiring TWFs anymore

Doesn't have the frame to put on that kind of muscle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkQgTfACIAAfLiD.jpg:large

I wouldn't say that, kid looks like he has a decent sized mug to grow into. Not to mention his father Heinz was comfortable at 6 ft 190 lbs. His 21 year old brother is 6 ft 175 lbs so it isn't impossible for this kid to put on 20 lbs in three years (especially with access to NHL training and nutrition).

Who knows what's going to happen but the kid shouldn't be written off because of size issues.

-Jake Virtanen grew up a loyal fan of the Canucks and captain Trevor Linden.

-He models his play after Getzlaf and Nash, but is not as big or as skilled. He's not undersized though.

-He has A-level speed and an A-level shot.

-He initiates the play and hits guys often and goes to the net with authority.

-The Canucks have no right-shooting forwards other than Kassian or Grenier. Virtanen shoots right. Believe it or not, that is a VERY important feature to a team that lacks right-shooters.

-Ehlers has no ties with the Canucks and looks to be an eastern conference player.

-He models his play after Afiogenov and Frolov. Similar size, speed and skill.

-He goes wide around guys and the off-side winger tries to cut in if going wide doesn't work. A guy that slight will be destroyed in the NHL if he's caught. And he will be caught.

-Ehlers will be a physical non-factor.

-The Canucks already have Hunter Shinkaruk on the left side, as well as a ton of other left-shooting forward prospects.

To me it's just a no-brainer who Linden would prefer if given the choice between these two. Linden might even see a lot of himself in Virtanen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkQgTfACIAAfLiD.jpg:large

I wouldn't say that, kid looks like he has a decent sized mug to grow into. Not to mention his father Heinz was comfortable at 6 ft 190 lbs. His 21 year old brother is 6 ft 175 lbs so it isn't impossible for this kid to put on 20 lbs in three years (especially with access to NHL training and nutrition).

Who knows what's going to happen but the kid shouldn't be written off because of size issues.

Shoulder-to-shoulder width a concern there.

LOL people who think Virtanen will be drafted 6th overall. You're all going to be disappointed. I personally would love Ehlers, but I doubt we'd take him at 6th overall either.

Lol at NHL central scouting then. They have him ranked 6th.

-Jake Virtanen grew up a loyal fan of the Canucks and captain Trevor Linden.

-He models his play after Getzlaf and Nash, but is not as big or as skilled. He's not undersized though.

-He has A-level speed and an A-level shot.

-He initiates the play and hits guys often and goes to the net with authority.

-The Canucks have no right-shooting forwards other than Kassian or Grenier. Virtanen shoots right. Believe it or not, that is a VERY important feature to a team that lacks right-shooters.

-Ehlers has no ties with the Canucks and looks to be an eastern conference player.

-He models his play after Afiogenov and Frolov. Similar size, speed and skill.

-He goes wide around guys and the off-side winger tries to cut in if going wide doesn't work. A guy that slight will be destroyed in the NHL if he's caught. And he will be caught.

-Ehlers will be a physical non-factor.

-The Canucks already have Hunter Shinkaruk on the left side, as well as a ton of other left-shooting forward prospects.

To me it's just a no-brainer who Linden would prefer if given the choice between these two. Linden might even see a lot of himself in Virtanen.

100% agree. Either him or Ritchie. Guy has a chance to be the next Lucic....

100% agree. Either him or Ritchie. Guy has a chance to be the next Lucic....

I'm not big on Ritchie. Seems to be one of those guys who is only successful because he's so big in a league of boys and he won't translate very well to the NHL.

I actually wouldn't mind Fleury. We haven't had a top defensive prospect since Luc. I don't know if he's worth 6th overall however, I'm still hoping for one of the top 5 to drop.

Lol at NHL central scouting then. They have him ranked 6th.

As a North-American skater. VIrtanen COULD go anywhere from 8th-15th IMO. There is going to be A LOT of shifting after the top-5 barring the teams take those 5 (Bennett, Reinhart, Ekblad, Draisaitl, Dal Colle). As I said, I would love Ehlers, but he's a high risk, high reward type draft pick. He's either going to be a stud, or bust. I wouldn't mind Nylander, Perlini or Ritchie either. Lots of people want to stay away from Perlini but I'm curious as to why that is? I haven't been keeping an eye on him as much as others but I haven't quite picked out what's scary about taking him.

The consensus seems to be that the Canucks will draft Virtanen because he's a BC boy. I find that hilarious. Canucks will take the BPA at 6th overall, and that's not Virtanen, in my opinion.

Ehlers will definitely need to work on his size otherwise he'll likely have issues making the NHL. I'd be willing to take the risk on him since we took Horvat last year who was one of the safest picks in that draft. But as DeNiro said, they're 18, there's LOTS of time.

People also need to stop using drafting small players as an excuse not to draft them at all. We've drafted size the past 3-4 years. These are kids still. There's lots of time to progress.

The one undersized guy we took was Shroeder.... Might not be a total bust but isnt looking like a 1st or 2nd liner.

Archived