The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Logically, unless Linden and Benning think Ehlers is going to be a sure fire star they arent taking him. Argue all you want, but on draft day we will see who is right. We have a left winger just like him in Shinkaruk... it makes no sense when there is Virtanen whos a powerful right winger with great speed , which we could use, or a Power forward in Ritchie who could be used for a powerful line with Horvat and Kassian.

It's really easy to see who hasn't gotten over our loss to Boston in the SCF cause they still have a giant hard-on for anyone with size. I like Ritchie, I really like Virtanen, that combination of size, speed and skill could be lethal. I'd honestly be happy with whoever we draft, I simply prefer Ehlers over everyone else outside the top 5.

Just cause you don't like Ehlers, doesn't mean you have to bash him. Every prospect has their downside. As an Ehlers fan I'd be the first to point out his flaws. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, he still has things to work on, if he didn't he'd be the #1 overall pick.

Ehlers isn't even the same size as Desharnais or Gerbe. He is just under 6' . and weighs about 172lbs.

Shinkaruk was about the same size at his draft year and weighed 175lbs, nobody was saying he was a bust when we drafted him.

Yeah we didn't use our 9th overall on him. Took him 24th. Weird huh? Expected top 10 drops mid 20's.

Yeah well we already have a smallish skilled winger. We could use a bigger skilled winger ya know... some one who can fight

For sure, the Canucks are clearly lacking someone who can fight. Look at the space and time that Montreal is giving to Lucic because they are so scared of touching him. Subban won't come close to him. Same with Markov.

Yeah we didn't use our 9th overall on him. Took him 24th. Weird huh? Expected top 10 drops mid 20's.

Ehlers is on a slightly higher level than Shinkaruk as a prospect imo. If we draft Ehlers he'll arguably become our top prospect. Does it matter where we pick a player? The end result is all that matters. How we develop the potential is all that's important. We finally have the means to develop players properly with Utica.

On a side note I was watching old MacKinnon clips and wow was he a dominant force. His 1 on 1 moves were filthy, undressed defenders every game. What I do see in common between Mack and Ehlers is not only the speed, and some of the skills, but how they play the game is very similar. Both relentless and so hungry to receive the puck and win battles. Their compete levels are very similar. Skills wise though MacKinnon was a little more dynamic and could do more by himself, but they're skill set is still very similar.

Ehlers is on a slightly higher level than Shinkaruk as a prospect imo. If we draft Ehlers he'll arguably become our top prospect. Does it matter where we pick a player? The end result is all that matters. How we develop the potential is all that's important. We finally have the means to develop players properly with Utica.

On a side note I was watching old MacKinnon clips and wow was he a dominant force. His 1 on 1 moves were filthy, undressed defenders every game. What I do see in common between Mack and Ehlers is not only the speed, and some of the skills, but how they play the game is very similar. Both relentless and so hungry to receive the puck and win battles. Their compete levels are very similar. Skills wise though MacKinnon was a little more dynamic and could do more by himself, but they're skill set is still very similar.

Mack was a clear cut #1 or 2 pick throughout his entire draft year (an extremely strong draft year). Ehlers doesn't even get mentioned in to be in the top 5 in a weaker draft year. Ehlers has flaws, he's not a strong on the puck as Mack, he's not as good at predicting the play or reading his opponent. If Ehlers was as good as everyone hypes him up to be he would be the clear cut number 1. Mackinnon plays a way heavier game even though they may have been the same size.

Honestly people would get a better read on the draft this year if people could openly admit each players flaws (even the ones they want the canucks to pick)

Mack was a clear cut #1 or 2 pick throughout his entire draft year (an extremely strong draft year). Ehlers doesn't even get mentioned in to be in the top 5 in a weaker draft year. Ehlers has flaws, he's not a strong on the puck as Mack, he's not as good at predicting the play or reading his opponent. If Ehlers was as good as everyone hypes him up to be he would be the clear cut number 1. Mackinnon plays a way heavier game even though they may have been the same size.

Honestly people would get a better read on the draft this year if people could openly admit each players flaws (even the ones they want the canucks to pick)

It's so hard making a comparison on CDC without people completely blowing it out of proportion. I said that Mack and Ehlers play a similar game and their compete levels are very similar. Of course Mack is and was the better player (albeit not by much if you go by points). No doubt Mack was more dominant, he was a tier above where Ehlers is now.

Ehlers still has a long way to go, but I think he can make up some of that ground based on his current trajectory and how much better he's gotten over his first year in NA.

Although they play similar styles, have a similar compete level and even had a similar PPG ratio in juniors, they're 2 completely different players. And that heavier game you were talking about, Ehlers started to show some of that towards the end of the season and in the playoffs when he finally put on some muscle and height.

Its not that people can't admit to his flaws. (atleast I'll speak for myself on that) its that people are making things up that are incorrect.

What are his flaws to you?

Ehlers comparison to Mac Kinnon was made by his coach to reporters when he stated he was faster than Mac.

I compare them because they come from the same junior program, and are the same size and play a similar game. I constantly belabor that point because some folks still want to press the 'size' issue when the guy is the same size as the NHLs new rookie of the year. Nobody said Mac Kinnon was too small.

Mac Kinnon is a center, and we have all seen what he is capable of already.

I think Drouin and Mac Kinnon are more gifted than Ehlers but again, nobody knows much about him . We dont know how good he really is yet.

My flaws for Ehlers is his lazy backchecking. He has great speed and work ethic , so its not like he doesnt know how. He led the entire Quebec league in plus minus at an eye popping +65 . Another flaw of Ehlers is his size. Unlike what the others have stated, he is not small or 'undersized' . However, his size is not an asset the way it is for Virtanen and especially Ritchie.

My flaw for Virtanen is he tends to hang onto the puck too long instead of seeing the ice better. His hockey IQ is limited in that way.

My flaw for Ritchie is his footspeed and his tendency to float . His concentration could improve.

My flaw for Nylander is his approach to the game seems one dimensional . He needs to focus far more attention to his game without the puck.

Every player in this draft has flaws. Even Ekblad and Reinhart aren't exactly #1 go-to guys for NHL teams. Kinda the reason I'm not overly excited about this draft.

It's next years' that the Canucks should utilize far more.

Maybe Linden's plan is to trade this years' pick. Hopefully not next years' though.

My point is every player has flaws even NHL player. Theres no point of trying to convince everyone that he has this overal rounded game and is tops on all categories. Not many NHL players are solid in all around games. infact like maybe only 3 or 4 players. Kane is highly skilled but he’s not known for his strong defensive and PK game. So there is no point comparing Kane to Lucic as they provide different benefits to their respective teams. There’s no point for people to try and say Ritchie’s is a better player than Ehlers (and vice versa) as they play two different types of games. There overall on a rating would be almost identical just each player had a few more/less attributes in other areas.

Ehlers may be average size but he doesn’t play a heavy game and is soft on the puck. That not necessarily a bad knock, just acknowledging that’s not his type of game. Kane isn’t either. If both go on an one on one battle with Chara they are likely going to lose that battle where a big heavy player like Ritchie might win. Ehlers might get a lot more break ways and score odd man rushes that Ritchie on the other end.

It all comes down to what type of player team feels it needs, the big power forward, a speedy forward, a smooth visionary, or the all rounded player. We want a balanced team, eventually one of each. Not a roster full of the same type of player. aka EDM

It all comes down to what type of player team feels it needs, the big power forward, a speedy forward, a smooth visionary, or the all rounded player. We want a balanced team, eventually one of each. Not a roster full of the same type of player. aka EDM

That's why this pick is so controversial, everybody evaluates our team's future differently. By that I mean, everyone has different opinions on what we have in our cupboard.

Power Forward: Kassian

Sniper: Jensen, Shinkaruk, Fox

Playmaker: Cassels

All rounder: Horvat, Gaunce

I really don't like labeling players like that cause some of those prospects belong in multiple categories so I just put them in where they are most suited. Also those aren't all our forward prospects, but they're the most talked about.

You can see that where we are lacking is in power forwards and playmakers. We could go with Ritchie, Ehlers or Virtanen and we'd be filling a need. Personally, I think that speed is what we lack in our prospects. That's why I side with Ehlers, heck even Virtanen.

We need elite skaters with elite skill, capable of using that skill at top speed. That;s just me though, some of you think that we need bigger bodies to compete in the western conference and it's fully justifiable. I just think with our big centers, we need elite speed and skill to help create a balance in our future top 6.

Elite Prospects has Ehlers listed as 6'0" http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=66581

Interesting to see the final combine stats for each player in the top 10.

For once i'm actually excited to watch all the coverage leading up to the draft since it will be relevant for us this time around.

I know !

Its been a long time since we drafted Henrik Sedin at #3 . Having a pick this high with so many goodies to choose from has not been a normal occurrence in these parts for quite some time.

Its why I am all for tanking if it becomes obvious we are not honestly competing for the Cup. There is nothing wrong with getting all hyped up in September and October. Go canucks go !

But I pray to God that if we look like weaksause , then just pull the rug out and go get ourselves a franchise player in the ultra rich 2015 draft.

Archived