The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Barry Trotz will not return as Preds HC - offered another position

JoshuaCooper @JoshuaCooper 3m

#preds coach barry trotz will not be back next year as nashville's head coach http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2014/04/14/barry-trotz-out-as-nashville-predators-coach/7696215/?sf24994954=1 #nhl

The only head coach in Nashville Predators history so far will not be back next season.

Barry Trotz will not return for a 16th season with the team, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Trotz has been with the Predators since the franchise's first game in 1998, hired by general manager David Poile to steward a rag-tag group of players plucked in the expansion draft mixed with younger prospects.

He evolved into much more, becoming one of the most respected coaches in the NHL, thanks to his ability to deal with the difficult issues that come with being an expansion team in a non-traditional hockey market.

As per TSN, Trotz offered another position in Predators organization:

The team announced on Monday that they would not be renewing the contract of Barry Trotz, the man in charge of the club since its first season in 1998. Trotz has been offered another position within the organization.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449305

If there's any chance the Canucks can get Trotz then Linden needs to be all over it. You won't find a better coach out there who can get so much out of his team. He'd be the perfect coach for a rebuilding squad.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Trotz stay within the Preds organization within some other capacity.

I wonder how many teams will be jumping all over Trotz. Winnipeg hasn't extended Maurice yet (Trotz is from Manitoba), there are rumors surrounding Carlyle and Toronto, Vancouver? Would Edmonton chop Eakins? NYI? Could be interesting.

I know he's a good coach and all, but Barry Trotz/Nashville Predators style of hockey????

I thought we wanted to see an exciting on-ice product.

The general thought around Trotz, is that he gets the most of his players. He's just been forced to play 'Predators' style of hockey due to their internal budget.

I wonder how many teams will be jumping all over Trotz. Winnipeg hasn't extended Maurice yet (Trotz is from Manitoba), there are rumors surrounding Carlyle and Toronto, Vancouver? Would Edmonton chop Eakins? NYI? Could be interesting.

The general thought around Trotz, is that he gets the most of his players. He's just been forced to play 'Predators' style of hockey due to their internal budget.

Yeah, I think that any coach in their right mind would coach a defensive system given how that team has been built over the years. He's done an excellent job in Nashville and I am sure Linden will at least give him an interview.

I know he's a good coach and all, but Barry Trotz/Nashville Predators style of hockey????

Yep .. I fear Trotz would guarantee us a lottery pick next year AND a lot of empty seats

One of the most reputable people in the league. I want to give Torts another chance cause letting him go after one year would look bad considering he did excellent with the team in December but if you can get a guy of Trotz's calibre, it's hard to pass up on that.

In just wondering though, don't Trotz and Torts play a similar style / defense first emphasis? If so, would it be worth doing the switch?

One of the most reputable people in the league. I want to give Torts another chance cause letting him go after one year would look bad considering he did excellent with the team in December but if you can get a guy of Trotz's calibre, it's hard to pass up on that.

In just wondering though, don't Trotz and Torts play a similar style / defense first emphasis? If so, would it be worth doing the switch?

I think from afar Trotz has the calmer and friendlier disposition; styles are similar and both have ways in dealing with accountability. Would like to see what he could do with a cap team with the thing's he's done with the rosters in Nashville.

Who knows maybe it could lead to acquiring Weber??? :frantic:

Trotz never had a prolific forward group to play north-south hockey with. I can't hold that against him. The fact he survived so many years in Nashville speaks as to the quality of coach people really believe he is.

While I don't think he fits our style (or at least the one we want to play going forward), I'd expect he gets an interview if/once we are in the market. He'll get a job somewhere though - imagine him in Edmonton?

I think from afar Trotz has the calmer and friendlier disposition; styles are similar and both have ways in dealing with accountability. Would like to see what he could do with a cap team with the thing's he's done with the rosters in Nashville.

Who knows maybe it could lead to acquiring Weber??? :frantic:

Yeah, that's a stretch. If Nashville decides they want to trade him I doubt we can offer the best package, and Weber doesn't have an NTC to control his destination. If Weber really wanted to come here above all else he would have accepted Gillis' one year offer sheet.

As per TSN, Trotz offered another position in Predators organization:

The team announced on Monday that they would not be renewing the contract of Barry Trotz, the man in charge of the club since its first season in 1998. Trotz has been offered another position within the organization.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449305

I remember reading in article that said that Trotz would likely not want to coach anywhere else, due to his family being comfortable in Nashville and not wanting to move. My bet is he takes whatever the new position is that the Preds have offered him.

Archived