The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Fired

Strombone1

He was a great guy and fantastic leader, but not what this ageing Canucks core needed. He ground the twins and Kesler down into the ground and our depth couldn't really get any steam as a result of playing 10 minutes a game.

We need a guy who will ease the twins into a 2nd line role while working our young stars into the game. Trotz is ideal for the Canucks if he's willing to part with Nashville. He's worked with a team of grinders and a young goalie before and turned them into a playoff team, and he could do the same here. His old Nashville teams were almost identical to our current squad - lots of grinders with not a whole lot of skill (Booth, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian etc.), a few young kids and a handful of veterans past their prime who can still break games open.

Trotz's system and style of play would help Edler abundantly, and turn this defence into arguably one of the best in the NHL. It definately has that potential.

Goaltending may be our only weakness under Trotz as we don't have a guy capable of playing 60-70 games, but Trotz has worked with goalie tandems before with great success, and our GM should go out and find a veteran goaltender to help Lack.

Excellent news.

I can't believe so many people are surprised.

Also, I still can't believe it's not butter.

yeah because firing the coach last year worked out great this year right? lol

bringing in a new coach will make no difference with this team

AV was a good coach but had run his course here. Torts never should have been hired. And as has been said, new management group so it's not unreasonable there's a change.

I'd say Sullivan will likely go along with Torts, but it's up in the air about Gulutzan. We'll have to see exactly what gets announced tomorrow (assuming this is true of course).

I don't think it will be Trotz; wrong style of play. Nor do I think Laviolette would be a good fit either since he's a bit of a screamer like Torts. He coaches a different style of play but I think they might go a different approach.
While McLellan is a good coach, he hasn't had postseason success in San Jose so not as sure we'd want him here. There are other candidates who might be good I'm sure but I keep coming back to John Stevens for his approach and what he's done to help LA win the last few years.

head coach in PHI as well

yeah because firing the coach last year worked out great this year right? lol

bringing in a new coach will make no difference with this team

It didn't work because they brought in a dinosaur of a coach who shouldn't be a head coach in this league anymore.

Bringing in a new coach isn't about next year. It's about developing a new and younger group of Canucks going forward.

We now have a president who was most likely hired due to his playing career.

No GM. No Coach.

If we're having a complete overhaul of management this could mean VERY good or VERY bad... and i'm leaning towards the latter.

We now have a president who was most likely hired due to his playing career.

No GM. No Coach.

If we're having a complete overhaul of management this could mean VERY good or VERY bad... and i'm leaning towards the latter.

Don't worry, the hostile and knee-jerk hockey environment in Vancouver will show Captain Canuck the door at the slightest sign of adversity. One of these days, I won't be surprised if a Canucks coach gets hired at the end of a season, then fired at the end of training camp because camp was so bad.

I like Torts, he did some good things but I really loathe the system he runs and he either can't or won't adapt. I want a coach that wants our team to have the puck and make plays instead of always chipping the puck off the boards.

It didn't work because they brought in a dinosaur of a coach who shouldn't be a head coach in this league anymore.

Bringing in a new coach isn't about next year. It's about developing a new and younger group of Canucks going forward.

Here's a little newsflash: that's not happening until this stale core is overhauled. Until then, we will just be a revolving door of coaches.

Here's a little newsflash: that's not happening until this stale core is overhauled. Until then, we will just be a revolving door of coaches.

No doubt the core is the problem, but hopefully this is the summer we finally forget about 2011.

And Torts isn't the guy I'd want behind the bench leading the change in this team.

Newsflash to you... MG was fired because he brought in Torts and not new players. Pretty sure the new GM is going to have a mandate to change things dramatically.

It's not a coincidence that almost all of our key guys had crap seasons, This 'system' simply did not work with this team..(what ever that system was..) , Time to put the faith in Linden and move on, enough excuses and enough with the side show....I'm sure Torts will be fine , chilling at some resort with Gillis, collecting mills and laughing about how they fuckd up the Nucks while sippin' Pina- colada's

2011 Cup loss

2012 first round exit

2013 first round exit

Coach fired

2014 no playoffs

GM fired

Coach fired

no change in players

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same result.

Coaching, much like goaltending has never been this team's problem

Interesting to see when / if any players are actually moved since the common denominator in this mess is folks...unfortunately, the players

blame coaches all you want, blame torts all you want. Torts saw a SOFT TEAM PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY, when he came in here.

he assessed the competition and realized with this lineup his players are going to have to learn to play tougher physically and mentally if they want to win a cup - thus he tried to use the regular season to teach them to play the way they need to, to actually win...which they simply whined about and wilted like the wimps hey are...

if you disagree, you certainly haven't watched the Anaheim/Dallas series, the LA/SJ series, the way Boston plays

just because he has a team full of whiney pufters was not his fault, its the team full of whiney old pufters...

wrong decision

I completely agree, unfortunately the new gm needs to pick his coach.

Firing Tortz tommorow let's all available coaches know a Canadian team has the position available.

So when we miss the playoffs next year, do we fire the new coach? At some point we have to realize that we're just not a good enough team and stop taking it out on coaches

I don't understand the pessimistic outlook here..,.....Do you really think that next year is going to be worse than this one...?...With a different coach ,and a system that does not stifle offense...I m certain the core players will bounce back ( especially the Sedins).

Wow Tort is fired? Guess kind of saw that coming and let's say Tort's words bounced back onto himself, recapping his press conference on the reasons why he didn't start Lu for the Heritage Classic. Like he said, he needs to make a decision on who gives him the best chance in winning a game and management have to make a decision on which coach will be able to get the team the best chance in winning games, Torts is not it! Fired!!

The truth is, Torts did brought in some good things for the team, the first half of the year, but after the Calgary incident and to further put the nail on the coffin, having Lu sitting there on the bench watching the Heritage game... ummm.. are you kidding me... take whatever reason he may have and shove it because that pretty much sealed his fate. I already called this out right after the Heritage Classic game. The team will spiral to the bottom and which it did. Yes the players are professionals and are paid to play their roles in the team, but I can assure you that they sure aren't playing with much heart for Torts especially after they saw how their bros in arms being treated. It's not the perfect example but look at Colorado! I bet you if the impossible permits and you ask each and every players there on the Colorado team, they play with their hearts for their coach, Pattie Roy. They respect him and vice versa. That's how a team win games.

I am not saying the 'Nucks would win the cup this year if things were different but I am quite confident that if it wasn't for that Heritage Classic stunt and didnt trade Lu away and Lu actually plays the role as the #1 goalie for the 'Nucks, the team would have barely make it to the playoffs. As for some of you haters, no I am not a Lu fan and I am not dissing Lack, but Lack still have quite a few years to go and mature to become a cup contender goalie. P.S. hopefully we learn from the Cloutier era....

I meant no offence fellow Canucks fan. Luongo was excellent. He was the victim of a porous defense

Other way around. FLA had a terrible D when he was there first and he kept them in it game after game in the regular season. He comes to VAN and has an arguably better D in front of him and Lu became porous and inconsistent in the post season.

Archived