The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Anyone Have a Mike Santorelli update?

Whale Tail

I agree, in my opinion trading Hansen is a no brainer.

I would love to agree with your entire assesment but I will mention my one worry is that I've seen these types of mock line-ups for the past 3 or 4 years that look on awesome on paper but somehow Higgins always ends up on line 2 or 3 and Burrows on line 1, and I don't know if Mattias works on 4 but if we can do that I'm all for it. There is a ton of flexibility in that line-up but it also all depends on that seond/first line UFA. I also think Burrows should be on the third line with the ability to move up in times of need.

This also leaves Sestito as our 13 I guess?

Yeah I figure Jensen and Burrows can split time with the twins as Jensen is bound to have slumps. That leaves Burrows on the third line ~2/3 of the season and Higgins can move up to 3rd LW in those occasions.

That line up lets us play our 4th line more like a 3rd IMO as we'd have more like a 2A and 2B line. And that 4th is arguably better than our 3rd line was most of this year...lol

Agree, it all largely hinges on the ability to fill the 2nd line LW (or preferably LH Centre) hole. I think Tanev , Hansen + goes a long way towards that...but we'll see what new management does.

Worst case, one of Santorelli, Burrows or as you mentioned, Higgins (heck even Matthias) plays that LW spot (I know, not ideal) and we see if one of our prospects can steal it mid season (Shinkaruk once he gets some time in Utica?). That effects that 4th line depth though so here's hoping management makes a good trade.

I have to agree with the do not re-sign him club. I think that most of his success was predicated on the impression he left on Torts and Sullivan who gave him the ice time. Like most players who get in the caoch's good books, they get the ice time. Santorelli benefited from this and a new coach may change his fortunes.

I have to agree with the do not re-sign him club. I think that most of his success was predicated on the impression he left on Torts and Sullivan who gave him the ice time. Like most players who get in the caoch's good books, they get the ice time. Santorelli benefited from this and a new coach may change his fortunes.

Really? I saw a good 2 way player who worked his butt off on the ice, could make plays and get on the scoresheet. He is a much better all around offensive player than Hansen or Higgins too. What am I missing?

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen
E Kane, Kesler, Kassian
Burrows, Horvat, Santorelli
Higgins, Matthias, Richardson

That would be insane!

Burrows and Santo would be the perfect wingers for Horvat. I'd hate to see Higgins on the 4th but he'll obviously move up throughout the season.

Would Winnipeg do 6th overall + Shink for E Kane?

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen

E Kane, Kesler, Kassian

That would be insane!

Burrows and Santo would be the perfect wingers for Horvat. I'd hate to see Higgins on the 4th but he'll obviously move up throughout the season.

need to add a roster player to the mix as well.

He should definitely be re-signed. He was one of the few top 6 forwards we had this season. He won't be a top 6 FWD moving forward but he's a very good 3rd liner that can play in any situation, play any FWD position & can move up the lineup if need be, he's like Higgins in that regard but as a center.

I'll take him over Hansen.

Trade Hansen. Put Santo on the 3rd line on RW, then have Horvat down the middle & Higgins on LW.

Then we have the Twins, Burr, Kes, Kassian & either Booth, Jensen, other another prospect/UFA signing in the top 6

Santo is a terrific third liner center but shouldn't be expected to be more. He has better hands than Higgins and Hansen so is an useful player to keep as he can move up the lineup and still be effective.

Love to see our bottom six look like this

Matthias Santo Kassian (one more year till we move him up, next year he will face alot of pressure, let him get more comfortable contributing both ways but not have the pressure to yet - buy out booth and sign/trade for the second liner)

Higgins Richardson Matt Martin (trade Hansen and a 4th for him)

need to add a roster player to the mix as well.

Well considering he doesn't have Hansen in his lineup, he could be included.

I would do Hansen, Gaunce, and the 6th overall for Kane.

I wouldn't give Shinkaruk up. We need the skill he brings.

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen

E Kane, Kesler, Kassian

That would be insane!

Whoa man, not Shinkaruk. He was steal at last years draft and hes younger than Kane. Rather have Shinks than Kane

Really? I saw a good 2 way player who worked his butt off on the ice, could make plays and get on the scoresheet. He is a much better all around offensive player than Hansen or Higgins too. What am I missing?

I don't disagree with this assessment, but the sample size is too small. I don't think he is any better than Higgins and Hansen, maybe on par, but that just makes him rendundant as we already have those two guys under contract. He is likable and that is why people are fans of him, but his skill set is replaceable.

Santo is a terrific third liner center but shouldn't be expected to be more. He has better hands than Higgins and Hansen so is an useful player to keep as he can move up the lineup and still be effective.

Love to see our bottom six look like this

Matthias Santo Kassian (one more year till we move him up, next year he will face alot of pressure, let him get more comfortable contributing both ways but not have the pressure to yet - buy out booth and sign/trade for the second liner)

Higgins Richardson Matt Martin (trade Hansen and a 4th for him)

One 20g season in his career so far says no. He's not near as good along the boards as Higgins either.

But, I do like Santo and (if signed cheap) he would be a good depth player.

Archived