The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weise: The reason Tort's is gone?

Boudrias

Brock

I am no great fan of Weise, and I said he is an example of Torts coaching problem.

In reality Dale Weise is replacible, but the fact remains Torts did not trust any of his 4th liners.

Torts benched the whole line if 1 player made a mistake, he benched the whole line if a defenseman of goalie gaffed on their shift, he benched the whole line because the sky was blue.

The loss of Weise means nothing to this team, but the lack of a 4th line was a problem that filtered up the line up

I was shocked to hear last night on the cbc broadcast that Weise said he was never recognized away from the rink 1 single time in his 3 years with Van, not even in his own apartment building. Apparently it is a much different story for him in Montreal.

Horrible trade by Gillis, since the Canucks now have nothing to show for it. He is a replaceable asset sure, but he has great speed and can throw some hits. This is the type of guy you want on your fourth line in the playoffs, if you have a coach who plays his fourth line..

Last night Dale Weise played 11 minutes, scoring one goal and one assist against Boston, on the 4th line. In the T Bay series he scored a game winning goal on the 4th line.

Last season Tort's was never able to establish a 4th line and in that effort

rarely played his 4th more than 5 minutes. Weise is the obvious example of that

fallout. To me that is all about coaching. You do not solve a 4th line problem by playing the Twins more and have them PKing. Tort's was all about 'respect' but

his inability to create a role for his 4th line was in fact disrespecting their

role and not acknowledging the reality that serious playoff teams have to have 4 functioning lines.

I often wondered what the 4th line was there for.

If Dale Weise is the reason Torts got fired then that is the only thing he has ever done in a Canucks jersey that I will be able to remember 5 years from now. Fourth liners should be tough as hell or momentum changers and Weise was neither for us. Wish the guy well but I'm not going to miss him.

We have plenty of 4th liners.

Nearly all of our designated 4th liners should be in the AHL full time. The 4th line has a role, and should develop an identity. It shouldn't be made up of scrap players that don't quite fit in anywhere else.

4th lines can and do win games. The 4th line seems to always get overlooked in this organization.

Weise was actually a free pick up on the waiver wire. :)

Also, I think Weise actually had/have the potential to develop into a decent third liner and it's finally showing with Montreal. Weise actually had some pretty respectable numbers back in the American league scoring 50 pts. in 73 games his second year and 38 pts. in 47 games for his third year.

But no, there is absolutely no correlation between Dale Weise excelling in Montreal and the firing of Torts. Weise was traded before he was fired. Only possible correlation would be something like what the first poster said about Weise not being deployed enough, which lead to a ridiculous amount of ice time for our top players.

Weise was quite liked by the room. He also had a lot of the down-low on Tortorella from his time in NY.... & Torts' was apprehensive about him spreading dis-satisfaction to his 'mates...so Weise was played less & de-valued to convince Gillis, that he should be shipped out. Tortorella's selfish self-interests revealed...again. Torts anticipated that in Weise's case.... it would be impossible to be in the coach's dog house & remain a secret-keeper. Weise had little to no chance of staying a Canuck....once Tortorella was hired.

The OP's post...sums things up nicely for me.

Wow. Brilliant insight.

I still find it funny that this comes up now that Wiese is having a successful playoffs.

why do you find that funny? its pretty obvious that if the canucks give up on a 4th line player and he excels on his new team that people are going to question why we gave up on him for nothing.

did you find it funny that people brought up how we shouldnt have given up on grabner after he had a successful season on the islanders?, because you shouldnt.

I was shocked to hear last night on the cbc broadcast that Weise said he was never recognized away from the rink 1 single time in his 3 years with Van, not even in his own apartment building. Apparently it is a much different story for him in Montreal.

Horrible trade by Gillis, since the Canucks now have nothing to show for it. He is a replaceable asset sure, but he has great speed and can throw some hits. This is the type of guy you want on your fourth line in the playoffs, if you have a coach who plays his fourth line..

How is it that people could complain about him on these boards the entire time he was in Van and he claim to not be recognized in town? He's milkin this one pretty good :P

How is it that people could complain about him on these boards the entire time he was in Van and he claim to not be recognized in town? He's milkin this one pretty good :P

I saw him at The Roxy one night and gave him a pat on the back over some beastly hit he threw that night. So, he's been recognized once. Pretty distinct face.

Torts got fired because he didn't want to change the style or system he was coaching the canucks on. obviously it wasn't working since we didn't make the post season but things take time. I still don't get why alain got fired he brought us couple president trophy's and took us to the cup finals. Now were seeing him going to the eastern conference finals. Next thing you know Torts is going to get hired by another team and win the Stanley cup. Canuck luck

Dale scores and the Habs knock out the Bruins.

What was really cool was the refs called an honest series and if the was case in 2011 the Canucks would have won the cup.

Funny how Dale wasn't good enough to crack the Canucks line up , well he showed you eh coach !

Dale scores and the Habs knock out the Bruins.

What was really cool was the refs called an honest series and if the was case in 2011 the Canucks would have won the cup.

Funny how Dale wasn't good enough to crack the Canucks line up , well he showed you eh coach !

No doubt the refs called a good series.

I still think the Canucks should have made it easier on the refs in 2011 by playing their fast paced game.

Instead we stupidly fell for the bait and got involved in every scrum and we stopped doing what got us their in the first place,

The Habs just laid out the blue print for how to beat the Bruins, and that's with speed.

What a drag it must have been for Weise to have been run out of NY,only to wind up again in JT's doghouse here in Van...Just goes to show that one mans garbage is another mans treasure..Therrien obviously gave him confidence...he's been an important contributor to the Habs playoffs so far..

Archived