The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gretzky as vp or director of hockey ops? Gillis, Regier, Feaster among candidates for Washington Capitals GM

J529

I dont understand the gillis hate here... I, for one, think he did a great job here....

You're not alone. He's certainly a polarizing figure; & some 'insider-types' probably wanted him to crash out. If you line up his hits & misses, I figure he's on the positive side.

Any wanna cry about a GM's work? Look at Nonis, since spring 2013.

Gillis was the worst gm to ever draft in a period of 5 years. Literally not one playrr an nhl regular besides hodgson.

Thats why vancouver sucks.

You should take to reading the Bible, son .. specifically "The Book of Job" .. it will honestly cheer you up and teach you a new level of tolerance .. I hope.

That is one sad post.

You might want to change your name to 'Desole'.

You should take to reading the Bible, son .. specifically "The Book of Job" .. it will honestly cheer you up and teach you a new level of tolerance .. I hope.

Besides Bourdon passing away Gillis literally screwed up 30 rounds straight of drafting.

Only after the Gaunce pick did he really find some gems like Cassels, and before that pretty much just Corrado and Hodgson.

Vancouver does suck because we're currently in a death valley of having no young talent to supplement us, 5 years ago we had Kesler and Burrows making Linden and Sundin retire because there was simply no room anymore, who's pushing anyone now? Kassian and Jensen are coming along nicely but they're already in our top 6.

Gillis did not do as an "ok" job as a lot of whacko's in this thread are implying.

Do you even pay attention to what he's done when you consider the team he inheritted, and the UFA's who were ready to come here anyway.

His drafting sucked, his team needs' analysis sucked, his contracts were absolutely horrible and have handcuffed us bad and at the same time great at finding players like Tanev and Santorelli.

Hid grade from me is an easy C, and anything less than a B- is setting ur team back, Gillis did that

Edit: wrap your head around this one, Bernier, Grabner, and a 1st for Keith Ballard who was a buyout, no excuses this guy should not be employed again until he takes a job as a scout for 5 years.

Besides Bourdon passing away Gillis literally screwed up 30 rounds straight of drafting.

Only after the Gaunce pick did he really find some gems like Cassels, and before that pretty much just Corrado and Hodgson.

Vancouver does suck because we're currently in a death valley of having no young talent to supplement us, 5 years ago we had Kesler and Burrows making Linden and Sundin retire because there was simply no room anymore, who's pushing anyone now? Kassian and Jensen are coming along nicely but they're already in our top 6.

Gillis did not do as an "ok" job as a lot of whacko's in this thread are implying.

Do you even pay attention to what he's done when you consider the team he inheritted, and the UFA's who were ready to come here anyway.

His drafting sucked, his team needs' analysis sucked, his contracts were absolutely horrible and have handcuffed us bad and at the same time great at finding players like Tanev and Santorelli.

Hid grade from me is an easy C, and anything less than a B- is setting ur team back, Gillis did that

Edit: wrap your head around this one, Bernier, Grabner, and a 1st for Keith Ballard who was a buyout, no excuses this guy should not be employed again until he takes a job as a scout for 5 years.

Jesus Christ, that still stings to read.

Gillis ripped apart this team piece by piece. That some people fail to see this is mind boggling.

At least gillis stocked our prospects better than nonis did before he left

Nonis draft picks.

Edler

Schneider

Raymond

Grabner

Bourdon (Rip, if he were alive would be top 2 pairing)

Jannik Hansen

Mike Brown

Hell of a lot better then Gillis. Given how short his tenure was here. Nonis also drafted White who landed us Erhoff. Traded for our best goalie of all time. Signed Burrows and Willie Mitchell.

And if want to go back even further the Sedins Bieksa and Kesler were Burke picks. Most of our 2011 core were in the organization before Gillis even came here.

Gillis inherited quite an amazing team. And proceeded to throw up all over it.

Nonis draft picks.

Edler

Schneider

Raymond

Grabner

Bourdon (Rip, if he were alive would be top 2 pairing)

Jannik Hansen

Mike Brown

Hell of a lot better then Gillis. Given how short his tenure was here. Nonis also drafted White who landed us Erhoff. Traded for our best goalie of all time. Signed Burrows and Willie Mitchell.

And if want to go back even further the Sedins Bieksa and Kesler were Burke picks. Most of our 2011 core were in the organization before Gillis even came here.

Gillis inherited quite an amazing team. And proceeded to throw up all over it.

It appears that most of Nonis' picks came in the first draft, when he was just reading Burke's notes. Y'know... Beside the note that said 'Trade for Luongo'?

Beyond that draft, Nonis picked up Bourdon, Raymond, and Grabner. Instead of Kopitar, Letang and Giroux. The man had no clue on what he was doing.

Sadly, Gillis made some errors as well. And that's why we're at where we're at. Although a lot of guys are still not ready to be judged yet. There is way more potential than what Nonis picked up, that's for sure.

Hopefully the Trevor Linden era brings about some success in this regard. Historically, the Canucks have been quite brutal at drafting.

Jesus Christ, that still stings to read.

Gillis ripped apart this team piece by piece. That some people fail to see this is mind boggling.

If anyone is to blame for that trade, it's the pro scout that failed to notice just how severely injured Ballard was before he came here.

It appears that most of Nonis' picks came in the first draft, when he was just reading Burke's notes. Y'know... Beside the note that said 'Trade for Luongo'?

Beyond that draft, Nonis picked up Bourdon, Raymond, and Grabner. Instead of Kopitar, Letang and Giroux. The man had no clue on what he was doing.

Sadly, Gillis made some errors as well. And that's why we're at where we're at. Although a lot of guys are still not ready to be judged yet. There is way more potential than what Nonis picked up, that's for sure.

Hopefully the Trevor Linden era brings about some success in this regard. Historically, the Canucks have been quite brutal at drafting.

You know who else passed on those guys, 15-20 other some odd teams. Yet it's only our GM's are stupid. And we are comparing Nonis' picks to Gillis not Nonis to the league so spare me that waste of a tid bit. Guess who Gillis passed on Palat, guess who else Nyquist. Does all this matter when comparing his draft picks to Nonis? No, just like your comment .

you're reaching.

gillis passed on erik karlsson and jordan eberle to take cody hodgson and skipped justin schultz, derek stepan, travis hamonic and marco scandella to draft yann sauve. and thats just the first two rounds of his first draft.

you can make those meaningless arguments for every round of every year for every gm gm in the league. the reality is, dave nonis drafted more nhl players in his first year as gm (going off burke's notes according to you, though as assistant gm nonis was heavily involved in the draft) than mike gillis did in his 6 years here.

Show me someone who is mistake free and I will show you someone who has never tried a damn thing challenging in their life .. you who are afraid to fail will NEVER achieve bugger all .. only the brave accept failure and learn from it, for failure is inevitable if you are strong enough to 'dare'. ..

I hope Gillis gets a GM job and win's a Cup .. just to shut up the haters .. well not shut em up .. more like channel them and their collective 'spite' somewhere else.

Don't forget, he picked Horvat, Shinkiruk, Eriksson, Gaunce, and Jordan Subban they could be the best picks from Gillis in a few years...

eriksson wasn't a canucks draft pick, the odds are heavily against subban having a noteworthy nhl career, and the jury is very much still out on the other 3, having never played a regular season nhl game.

eriksson wasn't a canucks draft pick, the odds are heavily against subban having a noteworthy nhl career, and the jury is very much still out on the other 3, having never played a regular season nhl game.

You could say the same thing about Burke and Nonis draft picks as well as every GM's picks. Unless the pick is a Crosby, Toews, Malkin, Ovie, Stamkos, Kane, everything else is a crapshoot.

I dont understand the gillis hate here... I, for one, think he did a great job here....

For like a year. He's the sole reason why we plummetted down the standings over the last couple years. Piss poor trades and drafting will do that.

Archived