The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Botchford] Kesler gave a list of 6 (revisited)

If the Ducks are willing to give us Etem and the 10th overall and the other 1st as well, we definitely have to look at it... Draft Ritchie and then one of Virtanen/Ehlers/Fabbri/Nylander would be amazing. I want Pouliot from the Penguins but thats not looking like its going to happen anymore :(

If the Ducks are willing to give us Etem and the 10th overall and the other 1st as well, we definitely have to look at it... Draft Ritchie and then one of Virtanen/Ehlers/Fabbri/Nylander would be amazing. I want Pouliot from the Penguins but thats not looking like its going to happen anymore :(

Sure it is. Trade them Edler for a moderate contract coming back and Pouliot plus a middling pick

Problem solved

Never happened. Botchford have no crediblity. The root of all Kesler rumors came from Louis Jean, who started it, and it never stopped from there. Kesler never asked for a trade, confirmed by himself, and Mike Gillis.

Oddly enough, it's been widely confirmed by other GMs that he was available.

Kesler may have never "asked" for a trade, but he's certainly not against being moved to a team of his choice if it helps the Canucks Franchise move forward.

I think this is exactly where he's at. He sees theres little help on the way, and while not making any demands, he's leaving the door open for the team to make a move if one comes around. Thus giving management a list of teams he would waive for.

Oddly enough, it's been widely confirmed by other GMs that he was available.

Kesler may have never "asked" for a trade, but he's certainly not against being moved to a team of his choice if it helps the Canucks Franchise move forward.

I think this is exactly where he's at. He sees theres little help on the way, and while not making any demands, he's leaving the door open for the team to make a move if one comes around. Thus giving management a list of teams he would waive for.

Which makes perfect sense on his part, I think .. he gives his all for whomever is signing the cheque, but his loyalty is to himself and his family .. when all is said and done, that is how it should be.

That is what makes players like Smyl and Naslund and Ohlund and Linden and Henrik & Daniel so special .. we have been blessed with great players lately, who gave their soul to the Canucks .. it is time to use Kesler to find the next potential 'franchise guy' .. who knows, it may be Horvat, Lack or #6 this year?

Friedmans 30 thoughts today:

5. Newly hired Canucks GM Jim Benning said he would like to meet with Ryan Kesler, who requested a trade. There's a lot of info flying around about the centre. Here's what agent Kurt Overhardt would confirm: that he and Kesler have met once with Canucks president Trevor Linden, who met solely with Kesler on a second occasion. Both sides agreed to have another discussion once the new GM and head coach were hired.

6. Here's what Overhardt would not address: What it would take to change Kesler's mind. Both Linden and Benning talk about the Canucks retooling on the fly, and, from what a couple sources say about Kesler, that's a critical part of the discussion. He's suffered some pretty painful losses in his career (2010 Olympics, 2011 Stanley Cup, 2014 Olympics) and badly wants to win. The agent also wouldn't talk about Kesler's list of teams (Anaheim Ducks, Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay). It is believed, however, that group may change.

It's time to trade Kesler. I've been on the fence for some time, not sure what rumors to believe. But Friedman is writing in 'facts' with this piece. As in fact: Kesler asked for a trade. Kesler wants to win sooooooo badly that of the 23 other teams in the league, the Avalanche and Red Wings have a better shot at the cup over LA, SJS, STL, Bost etc? Caman. He wants out of Van and he wants a select destination (which is technically his right with a NTC). You don't think the Sedins, or 85% of the Canucks current roster, haven't suffered through some painful losses? Caman. Don't hear them requesting a trade.

It's time to send Kesler on his merry way and get the best package available.

It's time to trade Kesler. I've been on the fence for some time, not sure what rumors to believe. But Friedman is writing in 'facts' with this piece. As in fact: Kesler asked for a trade. Kesler wants to win sooooooo badly that of the 23 other teams in the league, the Avalanche and Red Wings have a better shot at the cup over LA, SJS, STL, Bost etc? Caman. He wants out of Van and he wants a select destination (which is technically his right with a NTC). You don't think the Sedins, or 85% of the Canucks current roster, haven't suffered through some painful losses? Caman. Don't hear them requesting a trade.

If this is true.

Yup

His value will now diminish to the point of worthlessness if it drags out.

I also cannot see him signing here in two years.Trade him

If this is true.

Yup

His value will now diminish to the point of worthlessness if it drags out.

I also cannot see him signing here in two years.Trade him

Ya, at this point I'm taking it as true. Enough sources (Mckenzie, LeBrun, Friedman, Botch etc) have reported it. Now his agent is talking with the media about it - which is not ideal. At all.

Just pray to the hockey gods that he expands his list or it's gonna be a tough trade.

Ya, at this point I'm taking it as true. Enough sources (Mckenzie, LeBrun, Friedman, Botch etc) have reported it. Now his agent is talking with the media about it - which is not ideal. At all.

Just pray to the hockey gods that he expands his list or it's gonna be a tough trade.

I don't think it will be hard.

Much more attractive asset with a very nice contract

Kesler wants to win, he cannot and will not gamble never winning the Stanely Cup if we don't rebuild into a contender over then next 4 years,

Why in God's name would we keep Kesler if we will not be resigning him, it's the Iginla trade but worse.

He needs to be gone at the draft. I say Det or Anaheim for Mantha or the 10th overall.

Would consider giving them our 2nd or something too for Mantha, basically anything, Get that player and our team is Gangbusters.

Kesler wants to win, he cannot and will not gamble never winning the Stanely Cup if we don't rebuild into a contender over then next 4 years,

Why in God's name would we keep Kesler if we will not be resigning him, it's the Iginla trade but worse.

He needs to be gone at the draft. I say Det or Anaheim for Mantha or the 10th overall.

Would consider giving them our 2nd or something too for Mantha, basically anything, Get that player and our team is Gangbusters.

Id be ok with Mantha as well but really want Pouliot. The 10th would be great but the Ducks will have to overpay. I think it would be worth it for the Ducks to get him though.

If Kesler forces a trade and we get a great young player in return to grow with our other picks in the new era, ill drive him to the airport.

Ana: Etem and the 10th overall

Det: Mantha

Chi: Teuvo Teravainen and David Rundblad

Col: rights to O'Reilly (probably have to add a minor piece)

Tampa: Connolly, 1st, and a 2nd

Pits: Pouliot and a 1st

Any one of these, will do.

Ana: Etem and the 10th overall

Det: Mantha

Chi: Teuvo Teravainen and David Rundblad

Col: rights to O'Reilly (probably have to add a minor piece)

Tampa: Connolly, 1st, and a 2nd

Pits: Pouliot and a 1st

Any one of these, will do.

Fair trade value coming from a guy who has utterly loathed Ryan Kesler for his entire career.

I think we're reading that differently. What I get from your part of the post is your impression is that Kesler has again requested a trade since the management change and that it's all but a given he will be moved. Warhippy's reply further suggests that impression means his trade value will be reduced and we'll be lucky to get much of anything for him.

Here's how I took it: he'd talked about a trade earlier in the season and is very much involved with speaking to the new management. Even Overhardt didn't confirm anything more than that, that Kesler had asked for a trade and has already met with Linden with another meeting coming up with Benning.

The 6th point (2nd paragraph from the quote) from Friedman's 30 thoughts is all opinion or restating past rumours. Kesler has stated he wants to stay, which Bieksa confirmed, so him being open to a trade can certainly depend on the direction of the team and the forces that led to the trade request in the first place.

There's a big gap between putting up his list of teams he'd accept a trade to and demanding a trade. Only the latter would force the Canucks hand and have any significant affect on Kesler's value.

I won't get into the specifics of how it can be (and can't with the board rules) that he's approached the team about a trade but doesn't want one but I very much feel he isn't forcing a trade at this point. There's a good possibility he stays if A. we don't get good value in trade offers or B. Linden and Benning want him to stay and Kesler agrees.

Archived