The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Botchford] Kesler gave a list of 6 (revisited)

Why are you guys discussing Kesler? Speculating isn't helping the team. We have to pull together for the team, guys. C'mon!

What if Kesler logged on right now and saw this? You are what's wrong with the Canucks!

signed /

that guy

Lol

That's a bit leading as well, and you're reading into it. I can see that as why would Overhardt want to address something that isn't true?

I don't think we need to debate the possibility of a trade, but how much it's being forced if at all is absolutely in question. Don't read too much into things is all I'm saying.

There is nothing misleading about:

Newly hired Canucks GM Jim Benning said he would like to meet with Ryan Kesler, who requested a trade

Nor it is it the first time he, or any other hockey insider, has said this.

Every hockey "insider" has piggybacked off of the first tweet.

Kesler, agent, teammates have all said he didnt ask for a trade, as douchey as some hockey players can be, I doubt kesler would let teammates speak definitively on his behalf and deny he asked for a trade if he actually had asked, only makes himself and teammates look like fools if . I would not doubt that that Gillis approached him to see if he was open to a trade. hence the list, after all gillis was fighting for his job. explains why other gms were calling, even gillis is not dumb enough to waste other gms time by talking offers if he hadnt of asked kesler first if he was open to trades and to what teams. But even then there is a big difference between asking for a trade and being open to one.

Some of the hockey insiders piggy back off eachother - not all. The McKenzies, Friedmans, LeBrun will get their own confirmation. All have said Kesler asked for a trade. Linden/Benning have never denied Kesler asked for a trade when they're asked about it every other day. Keslers agent is now talking about it on record.

I don't know people are still debating about it's validity. When it happened, why it happened is up for debate IMO.

I guess the fans should come on CDC and listen to guys with names like 'philip blunt' instead of listening to guys that actually have access to the teams locker room. I am not saying Botch is 100% credible but he is better than most of the garbage in here.

Which begs the question .. "Why do you stay here" .. associating with such 'garbage' and all .. someone of such refined taste as yourself?? .. should we feel privileged to be in your august company?

Which begs the question .. "Why do you stay here" .. associating with such 'garbage' and all .. someone of such refined taste as yourself?? .. should we feel privileged to be in your august company?

Don't speak so much words Tearloch, you will upset the Divine One!

kesler + 3rd + McNally to ANA

for Theadore, smith Pelley (or Etem), 10th

the

6th + Tanev to FLA or BUFF for 1st

draft Reinhart!!! - The future "cornerstone" of our franchise

it hurts to lose Tanev, but I do not see edler waiving and if he can return to form than he will be more of a impact player than tanev, yes it is tough to lose a young seady d man that plays top 4 and plays on the right side, but it is not everyday that a potential franchise centerman from Vancouver is available.

furthermore, at some point the reinhart borthers may all want to play together...in Vancouver

then draft fleury with the 10th and then Benning will have to draft some D man or find a way to get that stud 1D that this franchise has never had

future

shinkarurk reinhart kassian

Jensen Horvat DSP

Gaunce Cassels Fox

Theadore

Fleury

Corrado

Stanton

Hutton

Cederholm

Lack

Markstrom

Ericcssson

There is nothing misleading about:

Nor it is it the first time he, or any other hockey insider, has said this.

Some of the hockey insiders piggy back off eachother - not all. The McKenzies, Friedmans, LeBrun will get their own confirmation. All have said Kesler asked for a trade. Linden/Benning have never denied Kesler asked for a trade when they're asked about it every other day. Keslers agent is now talking about it on record.

I don't know people are still debating about it's validity. When it happened, why it happened is up for debate IMO.

But that's not what I'm debating, even if there is some worth to that. People like you are saying he doesn't want to be here at all and his value is dropping like a stone because of it so we should move him now, maybe for whatever we can get, before we get stuck with no return, etc., etc., etc. and all that.

When Friedman reports something he's gotten from speaking with a source himself, he usually says the source or at least calls it an unnamed source. I haven't seen him do so. That's not to say he and all the other insiders haven't found more sources, but it certainly doesn't rule out that they're all going off the same original source as Lavoie (or even just his tweet).

Just to reiterate that point, here's the quote again:

5. Newly hired Canucks GM Jim Benning said he would like to meet with Ryan Kesler, who requested a trade. There's a lot of info flying around about the centre. Here's what agent Kurt Overhardt would confirm: that he and Kesler have met once with Canucks president Trevor Linden, who met solely with Kesler on a second occasion. Both sides agreed to have another discussion once the new GM and head coach were hired.

Again, Overhardt has only talked about the underlined part based on Friedman's 30 thoughts. Friedman hasn't directly attributed the bolded part to Overhardt at all; that's Friedman's statement. Friedman also makes no claims to his source or if he has one other than Lavoie's original tweet. The same goes for the other insiders who've been talking about the situation (rather than breaking or even independently confirming the news that Kesler has asked for a trade).

People equating multiple tweets from multiple people they follow on Twitter to meaning there are multiple sources for those multiple tweets is my issue. One doesn't equal the other. I've asked this in the past Kesler threads, but if you have other sources than the Lavoie tweet that would confirm Kesler has asked for a trade only then is the debate over it's validity closed.

I believe he's approached the team about the possibility of a trade based on what I know, but then that's why I brought up semantics earlier. That doesn't mean he's forcing a trade, or even that he's the one that wants a trade to begin with. Nor does it mean we should sell him off OBO, especially if it's well below asking price.

Here's my take on how all of this has played out:

-Kesler gets drunk in russia, bitches about the current state of the team, mainly how it's being run by the coach and, possibly, the GM (likely the Luongo saga, possibly also what happened with Malhotra).

-this is picked up and tweeted, the media immediately snowballs it into a THING.

-he meets with management and they ask for a list of teams to consider dealing him to.

-ownership steps in at the deadline already anticipating some house cleaning after the team misses the playoffs to stop a desperation deal being made by a dead-in-the-water GM.

-nothing happens for awhile.

-Vancouver media decides its time to dredge up the old 'trade list' because it's the off season and they need page views.

That's about it to me. I don't think he either wants or doesn't want to be here, he's on the fence waiting to see what the plan is for the future. Same thing for the new management. Kind of a game of chicken, but I think both sides will work together to make whatever happens work in the best interest of everyone going forward.

Bit of a non-story imho.

Unlike yourself, there are a few good posters.

I'm sorry, I trust Botch's credibility over you, Philly blunt and most others on here. But you kids are quick to post the various rumours, so it's a quick one stop shop.

Get rid of Kesler. His arrogant, whiny, attitude isn't need. Anybody that can't see how fast he's depreciating doesn't watch the game. He only got 25 goals playing the most minutes in the league and top PP. Per minutes played, he's one of the worst 5 on 5 point production players and is horrible at using his wingers.

if kesler wanted to stay why would he have two separate meetings with the president, one of which with his agent present, and another with the gm? wouldn't one meeting where he says "i want to stay as long as the team is going to be competitive" be enough?

Unlike yourself, there are a few good posters.

I'm sorry, I trust Botch's credibility over you, Philly blunt and most others on here. But you kids are quick to post the various rumours, so it's a quick one stop shop.

Get rid of Kesler. His arrogant, whiny, attitude isn't need. Anybody that can't see how fast he's depreciating doesn't watch the game. He only got 25 goals playing the most minutes in the league and top PP. Per minutes played, he's one of the worst 5 on 5 point production players and is horrible at using his wingers.

Thanks, but I have not been considered a 'kid' for 50 years, laddie .. and many of the 'rumors' you purport posters speculate on here are right from Botchford's mouth, so I am not sure what your point is?

And if you could be so kind as to point out one example of a 'rumor' I have posted that did not come to fruition? .. I would be most appreciative.

P.S. I too hope Kesler gets dealt, but for the right 'price'.

if kesler wanted to stay why would he have two separate meetings with the president, one of which with his agent present, and another with the gm? wouldn't one meeting where he says "i want to stay as long as the team is going to be competitive" be enough?

I think it's more along of the lines of "Well, if you want to see what I plan on doing with the team, with regards to you staying, wait until July 15th. If you still want out by then, I will drive you to the airport."

But that's not what I'm debating, even if there is some worth to that. People like you are saying he doesn't want to be here at all and his value is dropping like a stone because of it so we should move him now, maybe for whatever we can get, before we get stuck with no return, etc., etc., etc. and all that.

When Friedman reports something he's gotten from speaking with a source himself, he usually says the source or at least calls it an unnamed source. I haven't seen him do so. That's not to say he and all the other insiders haven't found more sources, but it certainly doesn't rule out that they're all going off the same original source as Lavoie (or even just his tweet).

That's not true at all. He talks/writes about so many rumors - I've rarely heard him say what you've said. A guy like Friedman isn't going to speak on team 1040 (which he has done many times) and write articles about Kesler requesting a trade - when his source is some guy on twitter. He's been saying Kesler requested trade for months now - along with many other insiders. If it was inaccurate, the Canucks brass would be publicly talking about "how Kesler hasn't requested a trade". Insiders like Friedman don't go around talking about high end players requesting trades when they have 3rd string sources - they'd get skewered.

Just to reiterate that point, here's the quote again:

Again, Overhardt has only talked about the underlined part based on Friedman's 30 thoughts. Friedman hasn't directly attributed the bolded part to Overhardt at all; that's Friedman's statement. Friedman also makes no claims to his source or if he has one other than Lavoie's original tweet. The same goes for the other insiders who've been talking about the situation (rather than breaking or even independently confirming the news that Kesler has asked for a trade).

People equating multiple tweets from multiple people they follow on Twitter to meaning there are multiple sources for those multiple tweets is my issue. One doesn't equal the other. I've asked this in the past Kesler threads, but if you have other sources than the Lavoie tweet that would confirm Kesler has asked for a trade only then is the debate over it's validity closed.

I believe he's approached the team about the possibility of a trade based on what I know, but then that's why I brought up semantics earlier. That doesn't mean he's forcing a trade, or even that he's the one that wants a trade to begin with. Nor does it mean we should sell him off OBO, especially if it's well below asking price.

I don't have any NHL sources, that's why I rely on a few key 'insiders' to lead the way. When all of said insiders have said Kesler asked for a trade - I'm going to believe them.

I don't necessarily think he's 'forcing' a trade, after all - he could Marty St. Louis this team if he wanted. But I think the Canucks are trying to convince him to stay - and I think that's a bad idea for many different reasons. I think they are best off trading him this summer - if he'll agree to expand his list. If not, things get dicey.

Nothing new to add, just speculation by Botchford, why does he assume ANA will now be okay without a secondline center like Kes, if anything their resolve to get Kesler should be stronger after they were bounced by the Kings and their strong depth at center. They went 7 games, you don't Kes in that line up could have given them that extra push, they could be in the confernce final right now. Botch is more style than substance.

Archived