The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offseason: Available Free Agents!

S N Y P E R S 7

well if we look at the boston /la model being a big heavy team ala 6,2 200 lbs plus,there is nothing on that list except for boyle or ott on that list and not really the pmd that we really need , I rather give grenier , lain, hunter s, fox, horvat, jensen a chance to play instead of a over paid and then suck for the next 4 years of a player ie brad Richards , lecalvier x 2, u can even add Jason garrison to that list , every one was happy to sign garrison now most every one want to ship him out , and ya wonder why we shop in the bargin bin of free agents

He wants 6+ mill and has never hit more than 70 points I believe. No thanks..

I don't get why people on this board are so scared of spending north on 5M..

Guess what, to get a highly touted and very much wanted free agent... You're going to have to spend. Nothing comes for free.

Trades cost players and free agents cost extra money.

Stastny will get 6.5M+

Moulson will get 5.5M+

Callahan will get 6M+

etc...

These players will get these contracts because people will be bidding on them. Players that are less sought after will get smaller contracts. David Booth for example will probably have to sign for 1M-1.5M somewhere.

The Canucks have the cap space to spend this year. There is no reason why they shouldn't... If Kesler get's traded they have 20.958M in cap space. That allows for Kassian and Tanev to get a raise and for Stastny + another to be signed for big money. Something this club needs.

David Bolland, Brian Boyle. That'll shore up our center depth with Kesler gone

David Bolland isn't worth the 5M it's going to take to sign him. I'd rather get Stastny for 6.5+. He will be a bigger impact on the team. Bolland is a 3rd C, we have Matthias for that.

I don't get why people on this board are so scared of spending north on 5M..

Guess what, to get a highly touted and very much wanted free agent... You're going to have to spend. Nothing comes for free. .

not only that but a long term contract at 6 mil will seem low in a couple years for a guy like Callahan. Besides if you trade a guy like Kesler you get assets back. Callahan is for free as far as assets go.

I want us to go after Callahan. He can replace Kesler's offence and is also a former captain, so should be good in the locker room.

He wants 6+ mill and has never hit more than 70 points I believe. No thanks..

He was strangely absent in the playoffs as well. Maybe he tore a hockey related muscle, but he didn't look good.

I would not want that guy.

He was strangely absent in the playoffs as well. Maybe he tore a hockey related muscle, but he didn't look good.

I would not want that guy.

If he wants 6+mil for never more than 70 points it could be the brain muscle he tore.

I mean he'll get it, but it won't be from anybody good.

Scoring should be a priority

Michalek or Vanek for 1st line Wing

Setoguchi or Vrbata for 2nd line Wing

Brassard for 2nd line Centre

SEDIN-SEDIN-MICHALEK/VANEK

JENSEN-BRASSARD-GOOCH/VRBATA

Then look at some depth ie/ Morrow or Goc etc.

For D I think we only need a tweak (ie/ Stralman, Murray, Hunwick, Hainsey or Gilbert)

As for net I think a Kesler deal that includes a UFA's rights thrown in (along with some proven prospects like Etem or Granlund) might be a temp solution (1 or 2 year deal while we wait for Lack) ie/ ANA (Hiller) or MINNY (Bryz)

Of course this would mean freeing up some space (ie/ Kes gone, Booth buyout, move Edler)

Then since we're thinking future anyways, toss a few RFA offers around to see what sticks (sheet some RFA's from PAC DIV...who cares if we tick off their GM's anyways) ie/ Perrault, Colborne, Galiardi, McNabb (I intentionally left off ones that will for sure be qualified like Silfverberg, Barrie etc...I think there's a possibility though that these 4 might be open to offers...but they'd have to be good offers, not cheap shots).

In what world is our D adequate?

And I don't disagree that we need more goals. I do think you have to look at reasons why we did not score goals, rather than justn sign a goal scorer. I mean, I have always craved a big dynami winger for the Twins. It is on my wish list. But 4 years ago we led the league in goals without that. We also may have prospects that may at least gravitate there; Jensen, Shinkaruk, Kassian.

I'm happy to sign a winger, but a PMD is by far our bigger need! And a secondary play maker. Last year we had Danny, Hank, Santorelli, Kesler, Booth, Burrows, Higgins who have knocked on 30 goals. The play making, fluid transition a puck rushing D would bring and improved puck movement on the PP are the REAL in demand skills to improve our scoring. Also some sizeable defensive forwards, so the Twins can play more sheltered offensive minutes.

- Niskanen, all in! Note he's a RHD, Does not even require moving any of our current crew. Nor stop us from integrating a prospect PMD, Pouliot or Theodore, to offer an ongoing legacy of puck skills on the back end.

Niskanen / Edler

Hamhuis / Bieksa

Garrison / Tanev

Corrado

- Hey I'd take (!!!) Moulson if we could get him. Jusi Jokinen is a better passer. Vrbata?

- Definitely would have a run at two ex Leaf's: Kulemin (!) and I'd consider Grabovski.

Stralman might be a good partner for Edler if we're keeping him and trading someone else.

A nice steady stay at home D-man, with decent wheels. Not the biggest or most physical guy. But he might sign for cheap.

Strahlman is money!

Archived