The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

LOL

No thank you lol

So DeNiro says: "dream on"; an obviously right answer.

But you say: "no thank you"?

Would you care to elaborate?

Would you really say no to Toews? I think you'd be the only person in the world who would say no to such a deal.

Toews is a future hall of fame, Cup winning 26 year old Captain Clutch and you say no.

Incredible.

Oh I know! Let's tank for McDavid right? That's the much better road to the Cup right? Because Lord knows how many 17 year olds go on to lead their team to Cups.

i think it's pretty obvious that he wants to play of a contender next year . Why else would he need two meetings with Linden and Benning.

Perhaps the reason for the two meetings is that he wants a couple of bonafide 2nd liners to play with and has been overly patient? He also might want 1st line duty if that is not going to happen?

Kesler has been very professional and patient but I am sure with all the changes at the top, he wants to make sure that he isn't goint to be kept in limbo again.

So DeNiro says: "dream on"; an obviously right answer.

But you say: "no thank you"?

Would you care to elaborate?

Would you really say no to Toews? I think you'd be the only person in the world who would say no to such a deal.

Toews is a future hall of fame, Cup winning 26 year old Captain Clutch and you say no.

Incredible.

Oh I know! Let's tank for McDavid right? That's the much better road to the Cup right? Because Lord knows how many 17 year olds go on to lead their team to Cups.

So...trade our 6th overall pick a player capable of netting us a first or multiple firsts and or multiple grade A prospects, AND another player capable of netting us at least a first and a grade A- prospect...for 1 single guy, who could bolt in the next season and a half as a UFA?

While Toews may be a great player, we could trade for or draft a great player or better player with that depth of return coming back.

No thank you...

Perhaps the reason for the two meetings is that he wants a couple of bonafide 2nd liners to play with and has been overly patient? He also might want 1st line duty if that is not going to happen?

Kesler has been very professional and patient but I am sure with all the changes at the top, he wants to make sure that he isn't goint to be kept in limbo again.

Sure, in limbo.

Did you ever hear Trevor Linden complain about wanting to be traded? Even after they traded Bure? Smyl? Through years of losing? Tanti? Sundstrom? Gradin? Rota? Hell even Bure only wanted out bc of they way he was treated not because he didn't want to WIN IN VANCOUVER!!

Did he ever say, I want to win a cup so move me? Do everything for ME ME ME, so I I I can win a cup

This is the problem with players like Kesler and Lou, and probably the cause of friction in the room.

You have players who are putting themselves in front of the team. Put me somewhere I will win, vs I will do everything I can to win here, regardless of what's around me.

Did you see Iginla for 5-7 years before he was traded and Calgary sucked say he wants out? hell no, he said I am staying put I want to win a cup in Calgary, it wasn't until Calgary figured they'd just do him a favor as they themselves realized there was no chance.

Kesler needs to go. He is paid to play to WIN HERE NOT COMPLAIN and his attitude is showing now....its all about him, it shows in his play - selfish, it shows in his pouting. Did he say what Bieksa did? ie "they'll have to drag me out of here, i'll go down with the ship" - THAT IS A LEADER, THAT IS A GUY THAT CARES ABOUT VANCOUVER, CARES ABOUT WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP IN THIS CITY!

You don't want to win here, you don't want to lift this team through your effort and drive, then go....because you don't want to be here.

Sure, in limbo.

Did you ever hear Trevor Linden complain about wanting to be traded? Even after they traded Bure? Smyl? Through years of losing? Tanti? Sundstrom? Gradin? Rota? Hell even Bure only wanted out bc of they way he was treated not because he didn't want to WIN IN VANCOUVER!!

Did he ever say, I want to win a cup so move me? Do everything for ME ME ME, so I I I can win a cup

This is the problem with players like Kesler and Lou, and probably the cause of friction in the room.

You have players who are putting themselves in front of the team. Put me somewhere I will win, vs I will do everything I can to win here, regardless of what's around me.

Did you see Iginla for 5-7 years before he was traded and Calgary sucked say he wants out? hell no, he said I am staying put I want to win a cup in Calgary, it wasn't until Calgary figured they'd just do him a favor as they themselves realized there was no chance.

Kesler needs to go. He is paid to play to WIN HERE NOT COMPLAIN and his attitude is showing now....its all about him, it shows in his play - selfish, it shows in his pouting. Did he say what Bieksa did? ie "they'll have to drag me out of here, i'll go down with the ship" - THAT IS A LEADER, THAT IS A GUY THAT CARES ABOUT VANCOUVER, CARES ABOUT WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP IN THIS CITY!

You don't want to win here, you don't want to lift this team through your effort and drive, then go....because you don't want to be here.

That's exactly it with Kesler. The difference between sportsmanship vs. showmanship.

Sure, in limbo.

funny how the Sharks GM said the same thing

"I want players that want to play here," Sharks general manager Doug Wilson told me, "not just live here."

That was pretty much all Wilson chose to say in our phone conversation last week, and really, it was all Wilson had to communicate.

When he said the words, I actually stopped and asked if he meant to say what I think he just said.

So Wilson repeated: "I want players that want to play here, not just live here."

Sure, in limbo.

I like your rant and I agree with you but you may be a little harsh. The reason he could want out could be more personal then just wanting to win. There were rumors about an issue with Cory before he left and rumors about another team mate punching him out, as well around the time of the incedents the team voted to remove his letter. The incedents in question are extremely bad and I'm not sure defending him is the right thing to do but I'm just saying it may have nothing to do with wanting to play on a better team. Regardless he's a prick I'll agree with you on that. Wasn't there a poster out there who wanted him to be out captain and first line center?

Kesler needs the same thing alot of the Current roster needs.

A New City, a New Group, and new teammates.

I am a very conflicted fan right now. On one hand I don't want to give up chasing the cup, but on the other, I don't believe the team was as bad as last season would have us believe.

At this point, I just hope Trevor and Jim do what is best for the Canucks chances to win a cup, and if that means letting go of RK17, then I guess I'll just have to accept it and continue to cheer on Kesler where ever he ends up. Tough Times for Canucks fans.

this

People should really stop bring up the Mike Richards' and Jordan Staal's trades.

2. Richards and Staal were also scoring almost a point per game rate. Whereas, Kesler isn't anywhere near that.

You need to get your facts straight before pretending to tell people what they need to stop bringing up.

Ironically, the facts were in the post you apparently didn't read, but responded to.

Staal has never scored more than 50 pts in the NHL - how you make a ppg out of that is a mystery.

Fair enough, but again, how many of these guys were CHL players of the year? How many of these guys have the mileage/injury problems that Kesler has?

The fact that Kesler has a NTC and is only accepting trades to a few teams (some of which aren't interested), it really lowers down our asking price. Especially when the teams he wants to go to has veteran GM's in place who aren't goofs. Holland is the best GM in the business, and once again, how often does Detroit trade their top prospects?

What's your opinion on Kesler for Nyquist? I've seen a lot of people being up that trade. Do you think Detroit does that 1 for 1?

CHL players of the year doesn't matter much - and with all due respect to Mantha, assuming he has more value than multiple players like Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn, Johnson - all players included in those multi players deals for those guys - is pretty premature. All those players are highly productive NHLers now.

Richards and Carter both had no trade clauses.

Detroit is certainly not the only team that will be in the running to acquire Kesler's services. This is not the Luongo deal here - Kesler has an exceptionally easy contract to move - in term and cap hit, quite underpaid by relative standards.

I personally wouldn't deal be looking for a hockey trade Kesler for Nyquist type deal - if a hockey trade is the target, I'm looking for a player like Couturier (a center) and a pick - or Dubinsky as part of a deal - and I'd also be targetting a young pmd - so either Pouliot as part of a Pitts deal, Erixon from the CBJ, or a pick that could land us a young pick like Honka.

Mantha may be flavor of the week, and I quite like him, but the reality of the market imo is that prospects like him, regardless of how touted some people may perceive him, are only a fraction of the value of a proven, elite veteran like Kesler.

I like your rant and I agree with you but you may be a little harsh. The reason he could want out could be more personal then just wanting to win. There were rumors about an issue with Cory before he left and rumors about another team mate punching him out, as well around the time of the incedents the team voted to remove his letter. The incedents in question are extremely bad and I'm not sure defending him is the right thing to do but I'm just saying it may have nothing to do with wanting to play on a better team. Regardless he's a prick I'll agree with you on that. Wasn't there a poster out there who wanted him to be out captain and first line center?

I feel like there is definitely more to the story than Kesler just wanting to win, the team played this year like a team that doesn't want to play for eachother and it makes sense that there is some locker room drama going on that Kesler is at the center of. Wouldn't be the first time someone had sex with another man's wife to make things awkward in a dressing room.

Mantha and Nyquist are almost untouchables. For Kesler, yeah right. We gotta give up pieces on our end to make that deal. Kesler is so overrated on this board. The miles on this guys body is scary. Every team sees that same thing. Heck, everyone's else's fans themselves see that Kesler's injuries are scary.

Kesler was just a minutes leader among NHL forwards.

That doesn't exactly scare prospective buyers off.

a poster? as in singular? try two-thirds of the people here.

sound character judgment is difficult to find these days.

none of us know anything about the cory thing (which actually sounds contrived given cory said he was surprised and genuinely shocked to be traded, clearly if there had been an issue, he would have asked to leave).

second, on the punch out thing, never heard of that but again rumor, and if so that would say alot wouldn't it! a teammate punching you in the face? Again, I would be surprised.

any player who gets in the press about wanting out wants out. where there is smoke there is fire and given what we've heard since, clearly there was.

therefore...if you are an apparent leader of a team, you are paid 5 mil a year to play a game in a wonderful city, but have to now dig deep to actually find a way to make not only yourself better but your teammates, in order to win a cup, and all you say is 'i can't do it here, move me somewhere I can", well you sir (Mr. Kesler) are NOT A LEADER, NOR SHOULD YOU BE A VANCOUVER CANUCK.

Leadership is about putting your personal needs below that of the team. Its about doing what it takes and not caring if you're number 1, number 2, hell number 3. Remember there were worries about Kesler playing 3c and Cody 2c? Again, signs of what his attitude is, his ego is. Yes, all players have ego, but the ego should be there in relation to competing with other teams not being above your own.

Do you think Linden would have ever complained had he been put as a 3c? in all honesty, would he have cared? NO

And this is what I think may actually cause Trevor and Benning to move him. When they sit back and think about the team they want, the character and attitude they want on this team, they need the Ryan Kesler of his rookie year to the Cup, since that Cup run, Ryan Kesler has become a player who thinks he doesn't need to improve but rather the rest of the team does

He fails to see that he himself has a big role in that. Everyone else is to blame, not Kesler the magnificent.

Trade the bum

This is just speculation, but IF Kesler wants out, I think its probably because of our experience level in net.

If Schneider OR Luongo were still here, I think he'd feel a lot more comfortable.

I think he looks at our depth in net now and sees a massive deficiency (notice I didn't say a "Lack" of experience in goal.

My guess is that this is why Benning has stated in the last week that he would be open to upgrading net whereas a couple of weeks ago he kind of said he was "comfortable" with Lack and Markstrom as the Canucks Duo, heading into next year!

Just my guess!

none of us know anything about the cory thing (which actually sounds contrived given cory said he was surprised and genuinely shocked to be traded, clearly if there had been an issue, he would have asked to leave).

second, on the punch out thing, never heard of that but again rumor, and if so that would say alot wouldn't it! a teammate punching you in the face? Again, I would be surprised.

any player who gets in the press about wanting out wants out. where there is smoke there is fire and given what we've heard since, clearly there was.

therefore...if you are an apparent leader of a team, you are paid 5 mil a year to play a game in a wonderful city, but have to now dig deep to actually find a way to make not only yourself better but your teammates, in order to win a cup, and all you say is 'i can't do it here, move me somewhere I can", well you sir (Mr. Kesler) are NOT A LEADER, NOR SHOULD YOU BE A VANCOUVER CANUCK.

Possibly Cory was surprised and shocked that he was the one traded? It's starting to look like there is something big that went down that was covered up and created a rift in the room and the team did vote to take away keslers letter. You are right that it's all rumors but when you start connecting the dots it's a little fishy. Your right he shouldn't be a Canuck.

Archived