The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Phaneuf, Kadri and 8th overall to Panthers for Jovanovski and 1st overall

So they lose one overpaid d man and go out and overpay for another?

They're already going to lose Bolland, as they don't want to pay him 5 mil+, so Kadri is their no2 centre. Trade Kadri, who's going to be their second line pivot? Holland isn't good enough

Phaneuf is a solid no2 on almost every team in the league. Ekblad might be as good, might be better , but it would take at least 3-5 years and he might even bust who knows. Adding Kadri and the 8th overall just to move up 7 spots is ludicrous and Dave Nonis should be canned for even thinking about it lol.

Niskanen is better than Phaneuf, who already would be replaced by Ekblad and Jovo. Not entirely convinced they want Ekblad though. Say it does go down like this has been described. Ekblad's salary and Jovo's equal out to about 7.5. The remainder can go to Bolland. Then they can use Cody Franson and Jake Gardiner to get that other center they need. That is...assuming the Leafs want Ekblad. I would actually think they would draft Sam Bennett. The comparisons to Gilmour, the need to have a future #1 center, etc. Either way, giving up that cap hit of Phaneuf's and losing Kadri's ego is a good move by all standards.

I don't see the point of this trade for either team.

Toronto is trying to make the playoffs now, with this trade, it would be a couple years before they'd be good enough to make it again.

Florida isn't that strong on defence, and while Phaneuf would help, I'm sure they could get someone better. And they already have quality centres so they don't really need Kadri.

In my opinion Phaneuf eats 25 min per game and solidfiys their D , and Kadri can be sold as an asset or used , and they only trade down 7 spots and get rid of Jovo's contract.

I think its suicide for the Leafs. I dont see the upside. Ekblad would have to be as good as Weber to make this deal worth while.

I don't get why Florida would want Kadri with all the centers they have, but I guess he could play wing. And with the negative value of Jovo coming back then it'd be a bit of a win - until they realized how much they're stuck paying with Phaneuf, that is. At least Jovo's going into his last year, and if he retires Florida would happily take his cap hit from the 35+ deal.

Florida wins big time. Phaneuf is an elite #2 d-man. Yeah, he's being paid like an elite #1 d-man but that's because Toronto has a bunch of bottom pairing defenders. Kadri has already proven that he can play in the NHL as a top 6 forward. He has an ego but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The 8th overall pick in this draft will result in an Ehlers, Nylander, Fleury, Virtanen, etc...

Toronto ends up with the 1st overall pick and has a choice between 4 top prospects. Reinhardt, Ekblad, Bennett, and Draisaitl. They also take on Jovo's contract. Jovo isn't even a NHL calibre defencemen at this point in his career.

Is it worth trading Phaneuf, Kadri, and the 8th overall for essentially the 1st overall? I don't think so. The top prospects in this draft don't (in my opinion) herald a large package. If this trade does indeed happen the Leafs can say goodbye to the playoffs for the indefinite future. With no top pairing defencemen and Reilly still developing it doesn't make sense. Reilly will be rushed...and I'm wouldn't be surprised in the prospect selected at 1st overall is rushed as well.

Phaneuf and Campbell would help solidify Florida's defence and allow for Gudbranson and Kulikov to develop comfortably (eased into a bigger role).

Florida would be foolish to make this trade.

Actually, there is an intangible asset going their way no one has mentioned...

FLA could use some swagger/attitude in their line up.

Kadri's biggest minus could be a plus in FLA

His attitude might attract some media/fan attention and give the Panthers a "personality" for fans to get interested in. Which is something they sorrily lack,

Dion adds "name value" something the Panthers could use. Phanuef is also a player who makes "entertaining" plays, offense, big hits, fights ect. these are the kind of things that potential Panthers fans will pay to see, the fact that he isn't a very good defenseman won't even really occur to them.

These are two players who, to use a Pro Wrestling term, can "put an a$$ every 18 inches" They sell tickets, create media stories and give the fans an opportunity to put names to an otherwise faceless team. All this means more ticket sales.

The Panthers also get to pick one of the players they really want in the draft.

In fact, I don't see how the Panther's could pass this up.

I feel like Kadri is underrated... He put up 50 points this year and almost a ppg last year and he's only 23.. I know he has an ego but still..

This is the canucks board. Kessel is consistently a top scorer in the league but he sucks and we wouldn't trade Higgins for him lol

Why would Phaneuf waive his modifed NTC to go to Florida?

Only reason i see him doing that is too escape the Toronto media.

I don't think he would but why not Florida of all American cities ? its not too shabby over there. I hope he stays loyal to his country and stays on a Canadian team though.

Keep in mind, Toronto is in the same division as Florida. In division trades usually drive up the cost big time, and still a lot of times, teams will go with the slightly smaller package from a team out of conference instead so they don't have to play against the trade. According to rumors, Edmonton offered us a way bigger package than NJ did for Cory Schneider and we still did the NJ trade. So don't take this to the bank yet. However, good deal for Toronto, FANTASTIC deal for FLorida.

Actually, there is an intangible asset going their way no one has mentioned...

FLA could use some swagger/attitude in their line up.

Kadri's biggest minus could be a plus in FLA

His attitude might attract some media/fan attention and give the Panthers a "personality" for fans to get interested in. Which is something they sorrily lack,

Dion adds "name value" something the Panthers could use. Phanuef is also a player who makes "entertaining" plays, offense, big hits, fights ect. these are the kind of things that potential Panthers fans will pay to see, the fact that he isn't a very good defenseman won't even really occur to them.

These are two players who, to use a Pro Wrestling term, can "put an a$$ every 18 inches" They sell tickets, create media stories and give the fans an opportunity to put names to an otherwise faceless team. All this means more ticket sales.

The Panthers also get to pick one of the players they really want in the draft.

In fact, I don't see how the Panther's could pass this up.

Ehlers is likely around at that pick, someone Tallon has talked about this year

Why would Phaneuf waive his modifed NTC to go to Florida?

Only reason i see him doing that is too escape the Toronto media.

Not sure about his current contract but his monster 7x7 doesnt kick in until July 1st

If this trade happens, i get a feeling that Bennett gets drafted. A lot of ppl in Toronto want the kid since he's from there, and also they call him a modern day Doug Gilmour(lolol).

That would be a mistake for #1 overall. It'll be Reinhart or Ekblad

Would BUF draft Ekblad or is there a chance the oilers prayers could come true and slip to them?

BUF would be in perfect shape then, because Ekblad would become their number 1 DMAN, with Myers/Ristolainen being 2. They wont take a C, because they can just tank next year and draft either McDavid or Eichel, who have more high end talent than anyone in this years draft.

Archived