The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Phaneuf, Kadri and 8th overall to Panthers for Jovanovski and 1st overall

Edmonton should really try for the 1st pick. They need Ekblad badly. Yakupov and 3rd overall for 1st overall, Howden and Shore

I dont think Florida needs Yakupov.

I think theyll be looking for some assured help in this deal. Yakupov is still potential help. Jury still out on him achieving that potential.

Its also a huge overpayment on Edmontons end of things. If theyre going to move Yaks, it's far more beneficial to let him find his way and increase his own value playing in better situations... sort of like Hodgson did in Vancouver.

Yes they could benefit by adding an Ekblad... but I thiink most people are ignorant to the fact that they really do have a bunch of talented young d-men soon to be ready to contribute regularly. Schults, Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin.... All of which are 22 or under, and all have strong top 4 potential. So yes Ekblad would be a nice center piece to that future d-core, but they could actually use a better established d-man to help this group come along, rather than adding more in-experience.

Decent trade for both teams. Fla owners are saying they will spend up to the cap, so this will prove it. Phaneuf's huge contract and RFA Kadri will require ++$. The 8th pick will get them a decent player as well.

Trade may make some sense since Florida has been rumoured to be moreso interested in Nylander/Ehlers type skill. They could trade down and still get what they want. However, Kadri doesn't seem like the right fit as they already have a lot of skill at centre (Hubredeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Trochek, Howden).

They could move Khadri for another pick in the draft,... or in trade later. Khadri is a very good asset to broker a future deal with. Should he stay with FLA,... his ego may even be carved-back a little.

1) for being moved.

2) it's hard to stay puffed-up for long as a Panther in FLA,.. where nobody cares.

Jovo is just salary dump?

Jovo is jovoCOP; a mentor in for Reilly and Ekblad. Genius really...

Except Jovo has at best 'one year' left IF he can get healthy .. that could be one season of 82 games (doubtful) or 3 years of 26-30 games each .. and he is slower than Myrtle the Turtle

Except Jovo has at best 'one year' left IF he can get healthy .. that could be one season of 82 games (doubtful) or 3 years of 26-30 games each .. and he is slower than Myrtle the Turtle

Well then Talon signed the perfect contract because that's all he has left until UFA.

Knowing our luck, he'd kill it next year then get a stupid contract and become a liability.

Holllllly, what a steep price to pay.. I think the Panthers want 1 of Nylander or Ehlers anyways, so to unload Jovo, get Phaneuf, Kadri and the player they want in the draft,,,, what a trade for them!

So does Toronto want Ekblad or Reinhart?

Either way that is a large trade..

The Canucks should offer: Tanev, Gaunce, Hansen the 6th overall pick, and 4th round pick for the 1st overall pick and Jovo (they retain 10% his cap). Then we take Reinhart. I think this is legit. They get Tanev, who is cheaper and younger than Dion. Gaunce, who could turn into something good, maybe even NHL ready this season. Then Hansen adds depth for Florida, and they get two draft picks, one being higher than the 8 they would get from Toronto, which ensures they get whatever Ehler or Nylander they want.

The Canucks should offer: Tanev, Gaunce, Hansen the 6th overall pick, and 4th round pick for the 1st overall pick and Jovo (they retain 10% his cap). Then we take Reinhart. I think this is legit. They get Tanev, who is cheaper and younger than Dion. Gaunce, who could turn into something good, maybe even NHL ready this season. Then Hansen adds depth for Florida, and they get two draft picks, one being higher than the 8 they would get from Toronto, which ensures they get whatever Ehler or Nylander they want.

Your missing the idea that FLA wants to win next year. Kadri and Dion help the panthers achieve that more than Tanev Gaunce and Hansen. They also need some help hitting cap floor next season which is why Dion's overpayment isn't so bad. Plus dion is still a really good player just not 7 million. 5.25 is more reasonable

I dont think Florida needs Yakupov.

I think theyll be looking for some assured help in this deal. Yakupov is still potential help. Jury still out on him achieving that potential.

Its also a huge overpayment on Edmontons end of things. If theyre going to move Yaks, it's far more beneficial to let him find his way and increase his own value playing in better situations... sort of like Hodgson did in Vancouver.

Yes they could benefit by adding an Ekblad... but I thiink most people are ignorant to the fact that they really do have a bunch of talented young d-men soon to be ready to contribute regularly. Schults, Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin.... All of which are 22 or under, and all have strong top 4 potential. So yes Ekblad would be a nice center piece to that future d-core, but they could actually use a better established d-man to help this group come along, rather than adding more in-experience.

They are young and a developing team anyway. Kadri and Yakupov are similar players anyway. They need wingers too. They are trying to win on the future anyway and yakupov helps now and later. I disagree, they need a better bigger top 6, howden and shore bring that. Or they will in the future. I think yakupov equals howden shore and the difference between 3rd and 1st. I don't think his value will get much higher in Edmonton. I think they veteran players they need are easy to acquire for cheap and they don't have a solid #1 d man like they need. Ekblad will be that and he will have a great supporting cast. They will have those 5 plus Musil and they will have a good top 6 and forward depth. I think it makes sense.

WTF does Florida need Kadri for? They have Bjugstad, Barkov, Huberdeau, Shore...

And how does TO's pathetic D get better by trading their best D for an old slow overpaid D man? Or give up their best young centre when they could barely ice two natural pivots at times last year? All before re signing Bolland or a repl;acement.

Balderdash!

I know TO would be excited about the prospect of ditching Dion, and the guy might be overrated and overpaid, but he still eats up a ton of minutes, and Ekblad's ceiling may actually be similar to his.

TO's weaknesses, a lack of solid veteran defensemen and the lack of a top center, are being weakened further immediately. Fine for a team that's rebuilding, but TO needs to win soon with their veteran forward group. I guess it depends on how good Ekblad becomes, but even Doughty needs assistance from shutdown-capable veteran partners.

I think Florida has a better chance of winning than TO does anytime soon, regardless of this trade happening or not. Another Bettman pet project.

WTF does Florida need Kadri for? They have Bjugstad, Barkov, Huberdeau, Shore...

And how does TO's pathetic D get better by trading their best D for an old slow overpaid D man? Or give up their best young centre when they could barely ice two natural pivots at times last year? All before re signing Bolland or a repl;acement.

Balderdash!

Sounds like Toronto media trying to make trades they want again

Archived