The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Phaneuf, Kadri and 8th overall to Panthers for Jovanovski and 1st overall

Trade may make some sense since Florida has been rumoured to be moreso interested in Nylander/Ehlers type skill. They could trade down and still get what they want. However, Kadri doesn't seem like the right fit as they already have a lot of skill at centre (Hubredeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Trochek, Howden).

I must say I think that the Panthers get away with some highway robbery here, esp. if they're planning to make the playoffs and have the money to support their young guns. Jovo's done like Pronger, and the Panthers get a top-pairing D-man with Campbell and a young center who has talent... given good mentoring he could mature and become a star in the league. Lu also gets a decent group of D in front of him

Phaneuf - Campbell
Kulikov - Gudbranson

Kadri would also join a crop of young kids who should be able to do some damage given more maturing (Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad...) and there's also the likes of Fleischmann and Boyes to provide decent scoring depth.

Something like this would be quite solid given that the kids keep developing and the vets don't regress

Huberdeau - Barkov - Boyes
Fleischmann - Bjugstad - Kadri

Bergenheim - Shore - Hayes

I must say I think that the Panthers get away with some highway robbery here, esp. if they're planning to make the playoffs and have the money to support their young guns. Jovo's done like Pronger, and the Panthers get a top-pairing D-man with Campbell and a young center who has talent... given good mentoring he could mature and become a star in the league. Lu also gets a decent group of D in front of him

Phaneuf - Campbell

Kulikov - Gudbranson

Kadri would also join a crop of young kids who should be able to do some damage given more maturing (Huberdeau, Bjugstad...) and there's also the likes of Fleischmann and Boyes to provide decent scoring depth.

No kidding. God I hope this is true, as this is so damn bad for Toronto. Easily sets them back at least five years.

Lol. This is a horrendous deal for the Leafs. Kadri + BPA > Ekblad. Kadri can still be a top line centerman in this league and if Fleury is available at 8th, he can improve the Leaf defense as well. I know there's a lot of hate for Phaneuf, but he's way better than Jovo. He played 37G this year and only got 5 points. Not to mention he's 37 and could potentially retire next year. So basically the trade is:

TOR

1st (top 2 dman)

FLA

8th (top 4 dman/top 6 fwd)

Kadri (1st line center, maybe)

Phaneuf (top 4 dman, yes, yes he is)

Well....would Phanuef have to agree to go to Florida? Same with Jovo? I thought both had iron clad NMC's. Especially Jovo who has his family there and has been there since his first go around with Florida.

Great deal for Toronto tho. Is Tallon that stupid? He has a great collection of talent at Cnnter already. Why would he need Kadri and especially with Kadri about to command $6+ mil with arbitration rights?

Phanuefs deal hasnt even kicked in yet and he will be at $7+ for the next 8 years.

Makes zero sense from Floridas standpoint

what happens when Phanruf's salary is gone and they make a hard push for Niskanen??? How does that set them back any?

So they lose one overpaid d man and go out and overpay for another?

They're already going to lose Bolland, as they don't want to pay him 5 mil+, so Kadri is their no2 centre. Trade Kadri, who's going to be their second line pivot? Holland isn't good enough

Phaneuf is a solid no2 on almost every team in the league. Ekblad might be as good, might be better , but it would take at least 3-5 years and he might even bust who knows. Adding Kadri and the 8th overall just to move up 7 spots is ludicrous and Dave Nonis should be canned for even thinking about it lol.

There is no way that Toronto (no matter how stupid), makes that trade without someone else significant coming back from Florida!

Its possible that type of trade is being discussed, but trading up 7 spots is not worth that type of return unless Nonis is really trying hard to get bought out of the GM position!

I like this deal for Florida actually. Jovo is negative value, while they get back a decent d-man and a legit young top 6 forward.

Yes and they only trade down from Ekblad to Ritchie or Virtanen. They get a franchise defender in Phaneuf (although a million overpaid) and Kadri who can be moved as an asset or kept.

They get to dump Jovo. I think Toronto is nuts to do this trade. I dont see the upside from an asset management point of view.

I don't see the point of this trade for either team.

Toronto is trying to make the playoffs now, with this trade, it would be a couple years before they'd be good enough to make it again.

Florida isn't that strong on defence, and while Phaneuf would help, I'm sure they could get someone better. And they already have quality centres so they don't really need Kadri.

omgomgomg let this be true! Kadri and Phaneuf being dealt alone makes this deal worth it. Can't stand watching them play or having them in the blue and white. Especially Kadri. Kids ego is 5x his potential and skill level.

Good news for me .. with Pha-goof gone I can actually cheer for TO again .. that is a lot to pay tho, but just getting rid of those two sounds good .. not sure how good the Leafs can be with their forward group tho.

Archived