The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Phaneuf, Kadri and 8th overall to Panthers for Jovanovski and 1st overall

This seems like an awful lot to give up just to move up in the draft, all the hate for Phaneuf and Kadri aside (they tend to get lumped into the 'trade them just to get rid of them' pile out here in Toronto).

I guess the ability to drop 7 Million until the end of time off your books adds value, especially in a salary capped world. Phaneuf isn't worthless, but he doesn't play up to that contract and losing Kadri seems like penance.

If Jovo is truly done then this trade is a real win for the Panthers.

If this is the price to move up in the draft, then hell, let's just enjoy our 6th pick or look at moving down.

Remember people, these are all prospects. There is always a chance they bust. No matter how high you are on them, and how much you 'feel' they will be a superstar, there is always a chance that they bust. Even if he doesn't bust, he may not be all you hope. I doubt leafs fans would be too happy if they ended up trading Phaneuf, Kadri and, say, Ritchie for Luke Schenn and the broken down remains of what used to be Jovocop...

where do you get off thinking 6th pick is garbage... and tanev isn't garbage either...

Also, what he is missing is this deal is for Phaneuf, plus the need to pay him like 49 millions dollars and kadri... I'm thinking the negative of the Phaneuf price tag and the positive of Kadri even out in the end...

It’s funny to see all comments on both sides. “Terrible deal for the leafs”, “Makes no sense for Florida”.

It actually makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Dion has a monster contract kicking in and has already been rumours to be moving. Leafs need to move one of their big contracts and Clarkson is likely unmovable after last season. Leafs just saved themselves 7 million a year. They can spend that on another UFA.

Kadri is a good player but likely will be asking for a raise as soon as his contract runs out. Will he be worth the 5 million + he will ask for.

Florida gets a top four D, with leadership qualities and they still get a top 10 pick. Even though Dion has a big contract he helps them hit the cap floor. Kadri and Dion bring in immediate help next season to help the team make a push next year to try and win their fan base back. Jovo would go back the other way for salary reason. He was talked about being a buy out this summer anyways.

It has also been mentioned that Tallon likes Ehlers a lot. A player who should be still around at pick 8.

Toronto gets a future top pairing D or 1st line center.

Florida gets immediate help and the pick they want.

Almost seems like a win/ win for both teams. TO might over pay Florida does do them a favour an get them out of that massive Dion contract.

If this trade happens, i get a feeling that Bennett gets drafted. A lot of ppl in Toronto want the kid since he's from there, and also they call him a modern day Doug Gilmour(lolol).

I just remembered Nonis's philosophy from his time here.

Build from the net out.

He'll pick Ekblad.

Which means Bennet slips to Burke, as the oil won't like his size.

Also, If Ekblad slips, the team above the oil will make them pay dearly for the right to choose him.

If the Oil end up with Ekblad it will cost them a lot more than just their draft pick.

where do you get off thinking 6th pick is garbage... and tanev isn't garbage either...

I am pretty sure he wasn't calling the 6th overall or Tanev garbage. It sounded like he was calling the package of Tanev and the 6th a garbage offer for the 1st overall pick.

This seems like an awful lot to give up just to move up in the draft, all the hate for Phaneuf and Kadri aside (they tend to get lumped into the 'trade them just to get rid of them' pile out here in Toronto).

I guess the ability to drop 7 Million until the end of time off your books adds value, especially in a salary capped world. Phaneuf isn't worthless, but he doesn't play up to that contract and losing Kadri seems like penance.

If Jovo is truly done then this trade is a real win for the Panthers.

If this is the price to move up in the draft, then hell, let's just enjoy our 6th pick or look at moving down.

Remember people, these are all prospects. There is always a chance they bust. No matter how high you are on them, and how much you 'feel' they will be a superstar, there is always a chance that they bust. Even if he doesn't bust, he may not be all you hope. I doubt leafs fans would be too happy if they ended up trading Phaneuf, Kadri and, say, Ritchie for Luke Schenn and the broken down remains of what used to be Jovocop...

It is a lot, but remember, they have to clearly top whatever the Oil are offering,

That's why the price is high, and why Benning will stay out of it.

I don't like this deal. Kadri could become a 1C with a little work. Phaneuf, like him or not, is a good player in many respects. I wouldn't ship them both for 1st. Let alone throw in a pick.

Jovo is great guy and mentor but the odds of him playing a full season and keeping up with the youth/speed of Toronto are slim.

The trade is too lopsided considering the guy that FLA wants from the draft - they may still get with 8th overall. To them, Ekblad was just gravy.

I hope to god this isn't true.

As awesome as Reinhart - Phil would be, we're an asset or two away from competing and this just throws us into a rebuild.

Unless Nonis thinks he can get Boyle I wouldn't touch this trade.

Jovo is done. He came back after having his hip joint resurfaced and managed to play, but not well and nowhere near good enough to be a trade chip. This is a really implausible rumour.

The more I think about the more I agree .. tho just giving Phaneuf away IS logical.

Youch, not sure if I believe it. Dreger was on TSN radio today saying Tor doesn't think they move up, cost to high from their 8th pick.

Tor would lose their ONLY tough mins d-man, and couldn't replace him on free agent market. Then they lose of of their only decent young centre.

I don't think Tor has the pieces for Tallon (mainly the d-man). Phaneuf on ugly contract, even if Tor retained a lot of salary. Van could best their offer re: quality dmen (which is apparently what Tallon wants).

Archived