The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Salaries: Lowest in Canada?

Russianfan

Shocking that this POS's thread isn't locked yet.

Well, although I suspect it to be a troll job it opened up a good discussion and it's pretty slow at the moment so why not delve into it? Realistic expectations vs fantasies about becoming King.

Recommendation. Attributes. Don't.

I'm for hire, when you hit the big times I can teach you how to spell for $70/hour.

Could explain why he has a 2.8GPA. I guess he will not be able to graduate business school with that low GPA. I have an idea for him. He could consider going to work for Speedy Brake and Tire... "Because at Speedy, you're a somebody!"

Thank you for those who responded:

I ) I graduated from SFU with a Communications degree specializing in Marketing. From what I was told all my life is that if I go to school and I finish university I will be better off than 90% of other people. For those who said " a degree is a dime a dozen" give your head a shake. Stats show 1 out of 10 people finish post-secondary, that already puts me in the top 10% of income earners because I finished secondary education.

Everyone knows and everyone who I knew growing up encourgaged me to go to school and finish college. Keep in mind 90% of people can not afford college and are not smart enough to withstand the demanding GPA requirements to get in and to finish. Guess what, I DID! As a result I fully expect to be rewarded with a good salary in a position that matches my school of study.

There is no reason not to have high expectations, we live in a society where our parents provided us with every tool, every opportunity and every chance to get ahead, and I feel my generation have every right to ask for high salaries because we are the future of the retiring "Baby Boomers" you need us more than ever and we can ask for whatever we want.

People seem to think "university kids are a dime a dozen" guess what, I havent checked out the job market but I bet you everyone with a degree has a job. Like I said 1 in 10 have degrees, they are the first people hired and they have a lot of bargaining power with employers.

II ) Its not just about experience its about skill and power of your degree. There are kids going to Wall Street right out of college at 21 years old landing 100k year jobs, lawyers, doctors, electricians, miners, sales people etc.. Experience means nothing if you have a degree and you have high grades, thats the beauty of school.

School is a short cut to experience, its either you go to work after high school hoping to rise through the ranks or you take a short cut and go to school and expet to make just as much as someone who didnt 5 years back.

III ) I fully expect 60k MINIMUM out of school, considering how expensive my degree was it is only fair to ask for that much back. Consdering how expensive housing here is, how hard it was to get my education, the countless hours of homework etc i think i deserve to be rewarded with a nice job and income.

Employers are not stupid they know the cost of housing, they know how hard it is to finish school, they know how good kids are out of school there is no reason not to pay them well and pay them high.

So with that being said, is $60,000 too little to ask for? I cant imagine the job market being any less than that for an average out of school salary, providing you have a post-secondary degree.

I don't have a degree, just a "1 year tech diploma" from VVI (now Vancouver Community College).

So I guess I'm in that

Took me a while to make the "big bucks".

I make double what my wife makes, she has a degree and is an Elementary School Teacher.

If you want the money - move to Alberta - I was there 13 years and that was 12 years too long as I could not get used to the climate - hated the winters.

Sometimes it's not about the money.

Also, if you're in Marketing and you have a degree, then I'm shocked that you misspell so many words.

I know, this is only an Internet forum, still, you should at least be able to spell and/or use a spell checker before you post.

Good luck with your career.

I have made over 100k twice in my career. And that was a good 16 years after it started.

I would scale back the expectations. Congrats on finishing your degree. :)

I made it first year after being certified. Kinda like the first year after I graduated I guess.

OP seems like a pretty obvious trolljob, but I have to admit I see kids with that exact attitude all the time when I am hiring for office positions.

Long story short, a lot of degrees, business, communications, liberal arts, are basically participation awards given out by Universities, they mean less than nothing. I would honestly rather just hire someone who had worked after high school, at least they might be able to accomplish something at work. The one thing these degrees do get you is that you won't have to work fast food, gas stations, restaurants, that's really it, if you want anything more than that you will need to put in the time and effort to develop a real skillset, not just memorize what a bunch of poorly written texts tell you about very basic topics under ideal conditions that never apply to the real world.

The only time I would be impressed with anyone having such a degree would be if they were working full time while going through University, and even then only if the work they were doing is relevant to what I want them to do.

you can tell who's out in the workforce by who's posted in this thread.

we do have low wages. they've been pretty stagnant despite the increasing cost of living but we got through the recession better than most.

on one hand, i feel sorry for the workforce in vancouver/canada but then i remember how much worse it is elsewhere and then i'm thankful for being able to live here. we're lucky that unions exist here. the overall workforce (union and non-union) is much better off with them. seeing places where people are too fearful of losing their jobs if they unionize that they tolerate abomidable treatment from employers changed me from anti-union to pro.

if you want anything more than that you will need to put in the time and effort to develop a real skillset

Thats what you think mofo. Why do you think so many top end businesses have representations on campuses all around the world?

Why do you think Google takes interns from 18-21 years old as majority? Why do you think Wall Street investment banks hire top students and not 20 year old experienced reps for positions?

I can go on and on, fact is that every employer wants fresh blood, hard working, brand new graduates who have passed the gruling test of universities. I am not sure where you are getting the fact that "many" people have degrees, a degree is not that easy to get. It requires money, 4 years of your life, it requires capability to pass courses at minimum 60% which by the way is not easy at all. Some calculus, economics and stat courses are impossible to pass for many people.

It is not easy at all to do well on research papers and assignments, it requires a lot of dedication and focus. 90% of people on this planet I am assuming canot do it, because it was hard for me, and if its hard for me it must be even harder for someone else. Thus to make it past even college/unviersity like I did that already qualifies me into top 10% of the working class.

Next if we to compare a college grad to a high school grad obviously the employer will pick me over a high school grad with 5 year experience vs a college grad with no experience but a degree. Because you seem to think employers choose experience over education, that is a big falacy and I am going to tell you that is an urban legend, a myth that dumb people made up to feel better about them selves because they couldnt make it to unversity.

Fact is that new graduates get jobs at a far greater scale than washed up old professionals. That is exactly why I feel I am in a great position to demand more money than someone with so called "experience". Why? Because I am a product of the education system that taught me the "latest" in technology, in courses, in theories, in studies etc. All the up coming tools and tricks of the trade school taught me, the reason why i paid so much for it is to get ahead of the rest of the population who didnt go to uni. Uni is a short cut, that is the message we are taught and that is a fact, quit denying this is not true. Quit saying this is a lie, it isnt and I am about to find out for my self once i graduate.

I am serious, I will ask for 65 k because i feel this is perfectly normal, especially for a great degree like communucations which many of you have downplayed, but failed to realize that only SFU offers this highly saught after degree in BC. Give your head a shake people.

Archived