The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Stevens staying in LA

Well Stevens does deserve that promotion but the King's organization seems to be like a douche if they are refusing their staff to have opportunity to progress on their careers from other organizations.

I am sure they talked to him letting him know their future intentions and ask if he was on board or would like to talk to other teams I assume it was his choice so now the team is probably just blocking other teams on his behalf.

LOL I highly doubt he was available last year if this was the case.

They didn't win the cup for the second time in three years last year.

They were probably more willing to let him go, considering Sutter's future probably wasn't as certain at the time.

Now it's essentially Bylsma, Desjardins, Arneil, Johnson and Crawford to fill Pittsburgh, Florida, Carolina and our coaching positions. With Bylsma liking taking the Florida job, as he's been linked to Florida for quite a while, its between Pittsburgh, us and Carolina for the Willie Desjardins sweepstakes. Anyone else is a tier down imo.

I am sure they talked to him letting him know their future intentions and ask if he was on board or would like to talk to other teams I assume it was his choice so now the team is probably just blocking other teams on his behalf.

Well if Stevens is happy there then there is nothing wrong with it. For the record I'd assume he is. I just meant if they blatantly refused to let him talk to other teams about a bigger role in an other organization then they as an organization is a bit of a douche. It is like you are a director of sales for rolls royce and boeing is seeking to interview you for their Chief Marketing Officer position but RR refused to let you talk to them cause you are under contract with them and instead give you a small promotion that will be lesser than the position boeing is interviewing you for thus effectively hindering your chance to advance in your career.

Cut me some slack with the above analogy since I'm an engineer and don't really know these kind of things. Once again I will say if Stevens is happy then there is nothing wrong with the Kings and I'd assume that he is for now anyways.

He's just been named Associate Head Coach

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455171

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Kings have promoted John Stevens to associate head coach and re-signed assistant coach Davis Payne and goaltending coach Bill Ranford.
The Stanley Cup champions announced the moves to keep coach Darryl Sutter's staff intact Wednesday.
Stevens is a former head coach in Philadelphia. He briefly served as the Kings' interim head coach before Sutter was hired during their 2011-12 championship season.
Stevens had been mentioned as a candidate for off-season job openings in Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Carolina.
Payne is the former St. Louis coach who joined the Kings' staff in 2012 after their first title.
Ranford played parts of 15 seasons in the NHL. He has spent the last eight seasons coaching the Kings, who won the Jennings Trophy for the league's best goals-against average last season.

parents-just-dont-understand-copy.jpeg

No one understands, it's not just you.

The point being that LA's grooming Stevens to replace Sutter, similar to how Detroit's grooming Blashill if Babcock wants to move on. Boston wasn't grooming Benning to replace Charelli so couldn't prevent him from looking at a promotion elsehwhere.

Not to mention that if BOS were in jeopardy of losing JB to a division rival,...well,...their response may have been a counter-offer... or something quite different & less-co-operative, also.

Not as big as a loss as some people think. Not a big deal. He's just a coach and in the end, it has to do with the players. L.A is actually lucky to have Drew Doughty. without him no cups. He is their most important player.

People need to stop thinking Stevens is a replica of Sutter, and that by hiring him, our team will automatically play like L.A. That's not possible and it wouldn't have happen if we have hired Stevens anyways, as he was pretty much in charge of the Defence. Of course he's seen first hand Sutters sytem, but that's besides the point.

Not a big loss. congratulations on the promotion, and we move on.

Well if Stevens is happy there then there is nothing wrong with it. For the record I'd assume he is. I just meant if they blatantly refused to let him talk to other teams about a bigger role in an other organization then they as an organization is a bit of a douche. It is like you are a director of sales for rolls royce and boeing is seeking to interview you for their Chief Marketing Officer position but RR refused to let you talk to them cause you are under contract with them and instead give you a small promotion that will be lesser than the position boeing is interviewing you for thus effectively hindering your chance to advance in your career.

Cut me some slack with the above analogy since I'm an engineer and don't really know these kind of things. Once again I will say if Stevens is happy then there is nothing wrong with the Kings and I'd assume that he is for now anyways.

I know what you were saying. I just don't think many teams would block others from talking to their guys without talking to them first and seeing where they stand.

Sigh. I'm sorry that top candidate, John Stevens, has now been eliminated by the Kings from VAN's wish list.

Questions tho':

Would PITTS use some leverage of attempting to hire Willie Desjardins as their NHL coach....to add some extra pressure to get a more favorable deal out of VAN.... for Kesler?

If you were Rutherford or JB...would you link the 2 scenarios,...to grease an imminent deal?

EDIT: Correction to named persons.

Rutherford is the new GM in Pittsburgh.

Pretty sure that Desjardins is choosing Vancouver over Pittsburgh, considering the GM's involved, therefore Pittsburgh lacks that leverage.

Desjardins knows that he'll have more to work with long term in Vancouver under Benning, than the questionable direction Pittsburgh is heading in with Rutherford.

Archived