The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

Just saw that segment online. I swear, you could sense the hostility Dreger has towards Desjardins for making him look like an idiot when he reported prematurely WD was "a slam dunk" to sign with the Pens.

Funny how he and Button are implying that there's something wrong with Desjardins for signing with Vancouver instead of wondering what might possibly be wrong with Rutherford and/or the Pens.

Just ignore that schmuck Dreger. He's a !@#$% nobody so the less attention paid to him the better. Mackenzie is one of the few guys there that I have respect for.

In Pittsburgh, this whole scenario is only being seen one way, and that is that Rutherford is an idiot. Both management and owners Lemieux and Burkle are getting roasted the way everything has gone down in the last few weeks. From the firing of Shero and the delayed firing of Bylsma, to the hiring of Rutherford and Desjardins turning down the job, the team is getting portrayed as a laughingstock.

Pens fans on their message boards aren't pissed at Willie, but rather are shaking their heads at what's happening to their team. A lot of the posts are quite hilarious in their mocking of Rutherford. It's actually a refreshing change from Canuck fans who prefer to vent with anger and venom.

And their version of Tony G just lambasted the team in a great write-up yesterday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/06/23/Ron-Cook-Penguins-coaching-search-in-shambles/stories/201406230057

Not so,...Eakins does NOT have NHL experience equal to Desjardins.

Not sure exactly what... you mean by this...Eakins has both played and coached in the NHL whereas Willie...hasn't. In fact Willie has only two years of ... pro level coaching experience ... and he's already 47...ten years older than Eakins.

having said that I have a good feeling about this guy while freely admitting that i don't know much about him other than he seems to be on a roll, a roll I hope continues.

Just saw that segment online. I swear, you could sense the hostility Dreger has towards Desjardins for making him look like an idiot when he reported prematurely WD was "a slam dunk" to sign with the Pens.

Funny how he and Button are implying that there's something wrong with Desjardins for signing with Vancouver instead of wondering what might possibly be wrong with Rutherford and/or the Pens.

lol love how the media have to blow things out of proportion/over analyze things. Going to have to watch this

Just ignore that schmuck Dreger. He's a !@#$% nobody so the less attention paid to him the better. Mackenzie is one of the few guys there that I have respect for.

In Pittsburgh, this whole scenario is only being seen one way, and that is that Rutherford is an idiot. Both management and owners Lemieux and Burkle are getting roasted the way everything has gone down in the last few weeks. From the firing of Shero and the delayed firing of Bylsma, to the hiring of Rutherford and Desjardins turning down the job, the team is getting portrayed as a laughingstock.

Pens fans on their message boards aren't pissed at Willie, but rather are shaking their heads at what's happening to their team. A lot of the posts are quite hilarious in their mocking of Rutherford. It's actually a refreshing change from Canuck fans who prefer to vent with anger and venom.

And their version of Tony G just lambasted the team in a great write-up yesterday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/06/23/Ron-Cook-Penguins-coaching-search-in-shambles/stories/201406230057

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't getting all sensitive about it. On the contrary, I thought it was entertaining watching Dreger try to spin his way out of the fact that he blew it. It was like he was whining, "It's not my fault! Desjardins made the mistake by not signing with the Pens, it's not me!"

As for Pens fans: well, they have every right to be pissed at what's going on over there.

Edit: typo

torts was brought in to "keenan" this teams core. He did a masterful and thankless job of exposing our clubs strengths and weaknesses. we know exactly who the character guys are in the core group now, who will bleed blue and green till the ship goes down, and who needs to move on.

time for a new era in canucks hockey and thanks again torts for the quick turn around and precision dismantling of our old gaurd

This. I find it rather amusing that Torts is getting blamed for just about everything that has ever gone wrong with the Canucks including, incredibly, the rash of injuries that our top players suffered last year, injuries that were apparently the result of his making players accountable both defensively and offensively. Clearly he wasn't a terrific fit here but IMHO at least this team's failures last year are hardly all his fault. He certainly didn't win a Cup and become the winningest U.S. born coach in NHL history by being an idiot.

This. I find it rather amusing that Torts is getting blamed for just about everything that has ever gone wrong with the Canucks including, incredibly, the rash of injuries that our top players suffered last year, injuries that were apparently the result of his making players accountable both defensively and offensively. Clearly he wasn't a terrific fit here but IMHO at least this team's failures last year are hardly all his fault. He certainly didn't win a Cup and become the winningest U.S. born coach in NHL history by being an idiot.

Many of us predicted the injuries with the style and amount of shot blocking he wanted. Not everyone is a shot blocker.

Hopefully no more Sedins on the PK.

Just thinking, with that fast past/gritty style game he is known to play and the puck possession game of the Sedin's is a given.

It would seem he is going to have inject/keep speed into the rest of the line up.

That could make it easier for Shinkaruk and Fox to make the lineup while making harder for Gaunce and Grennier who are slower and not known for grit.

Still if Kesler goes that leaves Hansen as the only speedster now. Cassels is quick, Horvat is alright but I think he is gonna have to draft for speed and talent and maybe pick up a speedy prospect.

I think it's pretty obvious why he would select Vancouver, he comes into a team in turmoil, a challenge to build a winner, to make a difference and cement his legacy as a coach. Pittsburgh even though some cracks have appeared are a powerhouse with some of the games best players... There would always be the thought that the coach was a secondary influence who could always be construed as riding the coat-tails of the crosbys and malkins.

I think it's pretty obvious why he would select Vancouver, he comes into a team in turmoil, a challenge to build a winner, to make a difference and cement his legacy as a coach. Pittsburgh even though some cracks have appeared are a powerhouse with some of the games best players... There would always be the thought that the coach was a secondary influence who could always be construed as riding the coat-tails of the crosbys and malkins.

Also the money... I assume we paid top dollar to pry him away from that opportunity.

I think it's pretty obvious why he would select Vancouver, he comes into a team in turmoil, a challenge to build a winner, to make a difference and cement his legacy as a coach. Pittsburgh even though some cracks have appeared are a powerhouse with some of the games best players...

Am I the only one that thinks Pittsburgh is in more turmoil than the Canucks right now?

They appear to be getting farther and farther from being a cup contender.

At least the Canucks realize they're not good enough and have hit the partial reset button.

Am I the only one that thinks Pittsburgh is in more turmoil than the Canucks right now?

At least the Canucks realize they're not good enough and have hit the partial reset button.

The window is still very much wide open for their core players,although like the Canucks,they have gone from powerhouse to pretty thin depth wise.

We were fortunate/unfortunate to have Torts come in and speed up the process..

No, you're far from the only one. Apparently, many Pittsburgh fans and media themselves would agree.

They've definitely taken a huge step backwards. Rutherford is a downgrade from Shero, and who knows who their coaching staff is going to be.

For the Canucks, the turmoil seems to be over and they're definitely heading in the right direction now, even if there's a lot of hard work ahead to get to where they need to be.

The window is still very much wide open for their core players,although like the Canucks,they have gone from powerhouse to pretty thin depth wise.

We were fortunate/unfortunate to have Torts come in and speed up the process..

As Chicago and LA have shown, you can't win with just core players. The supporting players are just as important.

Pittsburgh just doesn't have those supporting players IMO.

On top of that they`re scrambling for a new coach after missing out on all their top picks. And they have a GM that knows he`s a lame duck.

Did anybody notice that Francesco Aquilini was not invited to the party today!

We are better!

Bq2JJr-CQAA_RR8.jpg

Aquillini has probably come to the realization that being the face and voice of the organization is bad for ticket sales...what's there not to like about Linden as the public face of the Canucks? Good looking, articulate, congenial dude, always sharply dressed...making good hockey moves with bringing in hard working, Western Canadian guys in Jim Benning and Willie Desjardins.

If you can see past Crosby, Malkin, and 'Tanger in Pittsburgh, it's pretty obvious they aren't nearly as good as their top end talent would have you think.

Pittsburgh has world class high end skill...and world class garbage in the bottom six. In today's NHL, you ARE NOT winning a Cup without a third and fourth line that can drive possession to the offensive zone on a consistent basis. Pittsburgh's third and fourth lines have been a veritable black hole in terms of possession and scoring the last 3 years and it's no wonder they've been bounced when Crosby and Geno don't put up 2-3 points per game.

Confounding matters, the Pens are upside down on the cap. They have 14 players under contract for just over $55 million. That means they have to find 9 roster players with just over $15 million. Good luck doing that and not once again having fringe NHLers playing on the third and fourth lines...again.

I mean look at this tire fire that is the Pens cap structure. http://capgeek.com/penguins/

Archived