The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

Torts: I know nothing about the players, I just accepted the job.

Desjardins: Did his research before coming here. Had options and chose Vancouver. I think that's a really nice sign.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just baffling how I overlooked it last year.

Master's in Social Work?? I love Desjardins even more now! He is also a teacher. I didn't know any of this about him. He should have the interpersonal stuff down pat, and I can see players wanting to play for him.

Aside from the young guys, I think the biggest difference W.D. might make is with players like Hamhuis, Hansen, Edler, the Sedins - the more low key personalities that might really appreciate W.D.'s approach... If those guys are more motivated, comfortable and have a better relationship with the coach, there is a whole lot of room for improvement right there alone.

Aside from the young guys, I think the biggest difference W.D. might make is with players like Hamhuis, Hansen, Edler, the Sedins - the more low key personalities that might really appreciate W.D.'s approach... If those guys are more motivated, comfortable and have a better relationship with the coach, there is a whole lot of room for improvement right there alone.

For sure. Torts talked about how there needed to be conflict if there was going to be honesty. I don't think those guys appreciated that style. Hansen didn't need to be poked repeatedly for Torts to be honest with him.

I'm so glad that he denied the penguins. Let's hope he can shake the Sedins out of their dream and rebound with a really good season and make the playoffs with the right trades. The future is looking "okay" for the canucks.

Great press conference. He didn't pump himself up at all, said the players he worked with are responsible for their own achievements, I respect that.

I also like that he has a masters in social work as well as a teaching degree, you can tell he's good at working with young people.

One of the earlier question I found strange, the journalist asked about his background in working with youth and implied that there could be as many as 8-10 rookies on this team next year? This number confounds me, as at most I see 2-3 with Jensen, Corrado and one of Horvat/Shinkaruk/6th.

Maybe.

However, that isn't what we were debating. We were disagreeing on your assertion that Desjardins chose Vancouver over Pittsburgh, because the Penguins "don't have a lot to back up the top 2".

It's clear to me that they have far more than the Canucks do, especially with the consensus being that Kesler will be leaving. Frankly, it surprises me that this isn't clear to you as well.

Lets agree to disagree then. I don't know how strong Kunitz would be on another team. As I said, I like Neal, and poor Kunitz had significant health issues. Kesler maybe leaving, and then yes, Pittsburgh will be deeper down the middle. As things stand right now, I like Kesler and our defence better overall compared to Pittsburgh's. Maybe another way to look at it is, if we put Crosby and Malking on the Canucks, how good would have guys like Burrows looked this year? I bet a lot better. It is really hard to compare though.

Great press conference. He didn't pump himself up at all, said the players he worked with are responsible for their own achievements, I respect that.

I also like that he has a masters in social work as well as a teaching degree, you can tell he's good at working with young people.

One of the earlier question I found strange, the journalist asked about his background in working with youth and implied that there could be as many as 8-10 rookies on this team next year? This number confounds me, as at most I see 2-3 with Jensen, Corrado and one of Horvat/Shinkaruk/6th.

I think the 8-10 referred to veterans - as in how would he adapt to having that many veteran NHLers to work with.

What a great first impression. Willie seems like such a genuine, passionate person and fits perfectly with Linden and Benning it seems.

They say you gotta start from the ground up and the way the new management has laid down the foundation for the rest of the organization, it really just couldn't be any better. Wow really. Amazed at how fortunate we are to have these guys leading the way.

I think Torts pushed Edler too hard, wanted him to be a physical threat too much. Edler is a lot better when he can pick and choose his spots to lay guys out. I'm looking forward to Edler playing more within his style this upcoming year.

Sounds like a down to earth kind of guy and I like the fact that he will adapt to the way the players play instead of trying to adapt the players to his system. The only someone questionable thing he said was when he was asked about working with Gulutzan again. Not that I think he was overly negative about the question but I was expecting him to say he would happy to work with him again but it sounds like he's somewhat hesitant. Maybe he was just referring to what kind of role Gully will have but is there any chance the two may not be together behind the bench come October?

I think Torts pushed Edler too hard, wanted him to be a physical threat too much. Edler is a lot better when he can pick and choose his spots to lay guys out. I'm looking forward to Edler playing more within his style this upcoming year.

I agree entirely. Tortorella tried to instant-rice Edler into a Norris candidate. He had him playing the hardest, biggest minutes on that blueline for the first half of the season - and at the same time, was underutilizing Hamhius, who is the team's premier veteran shutdown defenseman. And your point about Edler's physicality is dead-on - he is not the type to be chasing hits or be a constant physical force - he picks his spots and is highly effective in that way - but particularly with the back injuries he's had, moderation is probably very necessary, and putting undue pressure on Edler to be all and end all is not realistic.

I thought Tortorella mismanaged his relationship with a lot of players and misused a number of key guys, but the one that surprised me most is how he lost Kesler. Kesler seemed like the guy who was most keen in the beginning of Tortorella's tenure - somehow he seemed to even send that one south.

Archived