The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

Sidebar. Is Benning just petrified of the media? Because every time he talks its like he's reading cue cards. Or Trevor is a ventriloquist and Benning is his puppet.

Honestly if he makes better trades and great drafting I wouldn't care if he was mute.

Benning seems like a "actions speak louder than words" kinda guy. At least I'm hoping so.

First of all, I haven't read all the pages in this thread, so someone might have said this before. But Willie totally reminds me of Uncle Jack from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" :)

Jack_Kelly.png

I think it's all in the camera angle for the photo. And the hair is different.

When I first saw this photo of Desjardin:

Desjardins_Willie.jpg

I thought he looked a lot like this guy:

stalin_color555.jpg

The moustache and hair are similar, but Desjardins is without the "Stars".

regards,

G.

Benning seems like a "actions speak louder than words" kinda guy. At least I'm hoping so.

I read before we got benning that he was never one for the media and didn't really like doing interviews. It doesn't bother me if he isn't a great public speaker as that's not really important for behind the scenes gm duties. We got Linden to give the eloquent public interviews.

Sidebar. Is Benning just petrified of the media? Because every time he talks its like he's reading cue cards. Or Trevor is a ventriloquist and Benning is his puppet.

Honestly if he makes better trades and great drafting I wouldn't care if he was mute.

You gotta remember that these are former players... so they aren't trained how to speak eloquently to media outlets. Look at Gillis' robotic responses of the past... there's an art to it. So at least it's not THAT again.

If anything, speaking to the media must be a total annoyance I can appreciate. It must sideline their real work.

Though I don't think they are horrible, if their big strength is in communicating with players and other GM's instead, then I'm happy to have terrible interviews.

Just give me some good hockey this season!

The part about the Willie D hire that excites me the most is how how he turned down Pittsburgh to come coach in Vancouver instead. That to me, shows a passion to coach in Canada, and an eagerness to represent our city.

I believe that in order to have success you need people and players who want to be here, guys who are 100% committed to crest on their Jerseys. Look at LA, that is an exciting place to play right now, you can tell the players really enjoy playing there and its not just about the money. People are already speculating that Justin Williams will take a pay cut next year to stay and have success in LA without moving his family.

Thats why Kesler needs out, you cant win with a negative attitude in the locker room even if just slightly, follow Willie's example and play where your heart truly is only then will you find success.

Linden always found ways to perform in the playoffs even in his final years because Trevor loved playing in Vancouver and now with Willie, Benning and Linden we have a management/coaching trio who have a passion to bring quality hockey back to Vancouver and if we can get the players back on board add some freshness, eagerness and excitement to the locker room then I believe at the very least we will be more fun to watch even if success doesnt happen right away, but with how this offseason hast started it seems we are heading back in the right direction.

Go Canucks Go!! Next stop the draft!! Lets shake it up!!

I think it's all in the camera angle for the photo. And the hair is different.

When I first saw this photo of Desjardin:

Desjardins_Willie.jpg

I thought he looked a lot like this guy:

stalin_color555.jpg

The moustache and hair are similar, but Desjardins is without the "Stars".

regards,

G.

He left his stars in Dallas :)

I read before we got benning that he was never one for the media and didn't really like doing interviews. It doesn't bother me if he isn't a great public speaker as that's not really important for behind the scenes gm duties. We got Linden to give the eloquent public interviews.

I'm lobbying to get Lindens mother and her pals on board, maybe as head of fan atmosphere. She sounds like she is just what Rogers needs. :)

Really?

I salute your terrific imagination.

There was nothing wrong with our core. Torts tried to destroy it by binding it to the only style of hockey he knew how to play. It led to injuries, fatigue, tuning out and finally total disrespect of our team and their abilities.

He attempted to create the illusion, only too easily gulped down by some of our "fans," that he was martyring himself coaching a bunch of "past it" old men.

The Calgary "episode" should have had him fired for bringing the club name into disrepute. I would then have fought in the courts any attempt to gain a financial settlement.

"There was nothing wrong with our core." Very debateable statement.

" total disrespect of our team and their abilities." Wow........ a little over dramatic,imo. Embellishment for arguement sake me thinks.

Really?

I salute your terrific imagination.

There was nothing wrong with our core. Torts tried to destroy it by binding it to the only style of hockey he knew how to play. It led to injuries, fatigue, tuning out and finally total disrespect of our team and their abilities.

He attempted to create the illusion, only too easily gulped down by some of our "fans," that he was martyring himself coaching a bunch of "past it" old men.

The Calgary "episode" should have had him fired for bringing the club name into disrepute. I would then have fought in the courts any attempt to gain a financial settlement.

The Roy episode should of had him fired then as well yet he gets applauded and labelled a hero

don't even comeback and try and condone what Roy did because it was heat of the moment we don't know what happened from the point Torts went into the tunnel from the bench to the Calgary dressing room someone could of easily said something to him the only thing on camera is him by the Flames dressing room

both situations are the same doesn't matter if one happens heat of the moment and the other as far as we know was premeditated they both looked like fools and both disrespected their team and city

Archived