The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

A lot of people wanted Eakins yes, but when we lost him, people turned sour.

Not so,...Eakins does NOT have NHL experience equal to Desjardins. During the previous coaching search...Stevens was the better pick. Eakins was a flash in the pan notion,...Desjardins has way more cred than Eakins,...plus he wasnt so ambitious for himself ...as he was goal-oriented for his players to win ...& succeed. This guy gets it!

I know this is all psychological, and still early days, however I already feel better about our team. In Linden, Benning, and Desjardins we have three really passionate men who have been part of winners, and who seem to have great hockey sense. I expect next season to be a bit rough on the ice, however the future is exciting.

Can u imagine,...bringing Lidster back as an asst. coach?!

It was such a bitter-sweet NYR Cup victory for him, in '94....you could see it....in the celebration recordings...he seemed somewhat more subdued than the others. He'd like nothing better than to be apart of the team that brings a Cup to VAN, in the future. What a story-line if that happens...especially for his former team-Captain & friend, Trevor Linden.

Staying tuned for more announcements on their asst. coaching front. Times, they are a changin'!

I can't help but feel a sense of relief with this hiring. After the Caps scooped Trotz, there was no question in my mind that Desjardins was the best candidate out there.

As for expectations moving forward: there's no question the Canucks are in the middle of an uphill climb and it'll be a while before we're legit contenders for the Cup again. However, unlike other franchises (who will remain nameless) who've been stuck in a quagmire for years, I have every reason to believe that the Canucks will move forward with the new group in place.

What Linden, Bennings and Desjardins brings to the table is a much needed culture-change and a foundation for when the roster completes it's changing of the guard.

He was talking about leaders on the team, showed a montage of the Sedins and Bieksa but no Kesler.

Definitely kept an eye out when I heard him starting to mention the "leadership" on the team and noticed it sans-Kes. Unfortunately, that ship has started to sail and if the rumours/reports are true (and the deal is set to happen give or take Thursday), then he isn't in the Canucks' plan moving forward.

I have a personal bias towards this (sig, jersey, memorabilia, fan of his since his Moose days), and bracing myself a-la Luongo fans for when the hammer drops. I certainly won't discount his efforts in 2011 (cue the Torts' quotes) but if he sees himself as a better fit with another team, then so be it. It's his decision at the end of the day.

I get what you are saying, however look at their playoff record over the last couples of years. I like Neal, Kunitz I am not 100% sold on, and Letang unfortunately has been through a lot.

Also, look at how Bylsma has been labelled by man; "He hand Crosby and Malkin and can't win." Maybe Desjardins doesn't want that hanging over his head?

Maybe.

However, that isn't what we were debating. We were disagreeing on your assertion that Desjardins chose Vancouver over Pittsburgh, because the Penguins "don't have a lot to back up the top 2".

It's clear to me that they have far more than the Canucks do, especially with the consensus being that Kesler will be leaving. Frankly, it surprises me that this isn't clear to you as well.

Archived