The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

Great press conference. He didn't pump himself up at all, said the players he worked with are responsible for their own achievements, I respect that.

I also like that he has a masters in social work as well as a teaching degree, you can tell he's good at working with young people.

One of the earlier question I found strange, the journalist asked about his background in working with youth and implied that there could be as many as 8-10 rookies on this team next year? This number confounds me, as at most I see 2-3 with Jensen, Corrado and one of Horvat/Shinkaruk/6th.

I think he said 8-10 vets.

Great press conference. He didn't pump himself up at all, said the players he worked with are responsible for their own achievements, I respect that.

I also like that he has a masters in social work as well as a teaching degree, you can tell he's good at working with young people.

One of the earlier question I found strange, the journalist asked about his background in working with youth and implied that there could be as many as 8-10 rookies on this team next year? This number confounds me, as at most I see 2-3 with Jensen, Corrado and one of Horvat/Shinkaruk/6th.

Nothing like a motivator(coach) with a little humility

Nothing like a motivator(coach) with a little humility

Listening to that leadership/management group, I personally would bust a nut for that coach, GM and Pres. I'll be shocked if the players don't feel the same way.

Too bad Sami left though :(

Aside from the young guys, I think the biggest difference W.D. might make is with players like Hamhuis, Hansen, Edler, the Sedins - the more low key personalities that might really appreciate W.D.'s approach... If those guys are more motivated, comfortable and have a better relationship with the coach, there is a whole lot of room for improvement right there alone.

+ 1 Agreed. However, I'm even more enthusiastic about WD's experience with coaching youth.

Canucks have overlooked drafting and youth development for too long, so Benning's scouting background and WD's experience are crucial points for me. I'm a fan of the direction the franchise is going. Linden, Benning, and WD bring a positive energy to an organization that needs to shift away from its negative image and reputation.

are electrolytes even a real thing?

or is it more a marketing term meaning water with flavor added?

Electrolytes are minerals that are essential for the absorption of water. When you sweat, you sweat them out. So thats why drinks like Gatorade add them to their flavored water.

I hope he can push our team into giving the Pacific division opponents a Chile reception when they come into our building.

Norway we get pushed around on home ice anymore.

Once we start Russian the puck up the ice there will be no stopping us!

Dear God. Stop with the damned national puns.

After hearing all of the country puns...Iran...

Back on track...

I like the fact that all three are on the same page. Now whether it translates to the on-ice product, well...we'll just have to wait and see.

God am I glad we landed him and not Pittsburgh.

Just from his press conference he comes off as a very likeable, and energetic guy. Even the way he talks about how much respect he has for the players speaks volumes on his character. With Torts I didn't really see that mutual respect. It's crucial for a coach to have that, and Willie seemed to hold it to a high regard, so although it's just his words, it's nice to hear.

He seems very anxious to start coaching, and I'm pretty stoked to see what happens this year. It doesn't sound like he's speaking hollow words (ala Torts last year). Even if we're not going to be contending for a cup soon, Willie sounds perfect for our young guys with all his experience and it sounds like we're going to be playing an entertaining system..

The whole culture of our team is changing rapidly. With Gillis and Torts gone, and Linden, Benning and Desjardin in, we just seem all the more respectable.

First time president hires a first time gm who he collaborated with to hire a first time head coach. Little worried about the lack of experience but all in all psyched about the future of this franchise.

Dear God. Stop with the damned national puns.

After hearing all of the country puns...Iran...

Back on track...

I like the fact that all three are on the same page. Now whether it translates to the on-ice product, well...we'll just have to wait and see.

Now Vatican do.

Torts: I know nothing about the players, I just accepted the job.

Desjardins: Did his research before coming here. Had options and chose Vancouver. I think that's a really nice sign.

Seriously,...how did Torts get past the interview stage? Who stole those warning flags...that should have been waved? Square out-dated peg was a misfit from the start. He wasn't a simple cog needed to to fix the machine,...he was a wrench that threw himself into the works to wreck the machine so he could build it his way. He didn't even really try to work with all the parts he had. He even confessed to quitting on his team & his own methods in the end. Hope you enjoyed that excessive pay-day...Torts. It was 1 very expensive lesson for the Aquilinis to learn ...to BUTT-OUT of the hockey business & leave the managing of their team to Trev & JB, who are truly the experts. And Gillis, too...he should have stuck to his guns more often...as his self-doubt & loss of focus had repercussions for more than just himself.

EDIT: Last season's saga is finally over & the penduluum is due to swing back...as it always does after great disappointments & heart-break. Good times are comin'. I can feel it!

Bored much?

I can't wait to see what he can do with our young guys who contrary to the trolls are of as good a quality as we have ever had in the system, better than any I can think of.

It is very likely 2 or 3 will make it this year maybe more;

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels, Friesen, Grennier and whoever our top pick is all have a good shot.

That's 8 players not including Jensen and JS (trade bait).

Hell 4 could make it if we don't do any trades.

Archived