The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Benning knew that it would take more than chicken crap to get the pick. I knew shinkaruk would be involved, but I didn't think we'd have to add past that.

Shinkaruk + the 6th is a fair deal.

Fair but do we want to do it considering the alternative is Shink and whoever we draft at 6th?

Not to mention they want a roster player too, so it depends on who that is. If it's Dalpe to help them on wing, fine, but if it's Higgins/Hansen/Jensen/Kassian I'm not as sold on it being the right move.

As far as the pick, I'm an Ekblad fan but if the Canucks get the pick then they take Reinhart. I don't think that's a question, with it being very unorthodox to take a defenceman high and the win/win of Reinhart being local.

Shink doesn't make the most sense for me, and in no way is he projecting as a bust. Sure, he had an injury that kept him out basically all season but was still close in both the Canucks camp and the Team Canada junior camp. If he was close to a bust, why would Florida want him?

In any case, with Florida wanting defencemen you'd think we could get it done trading Garrison as a local fan favourite in Florida. He'd have to waive of course, and we add (6th, maybe more) but that seems to be a better fit.

Reinhart could be a defining player for the Canucks.......Shinkaruk + 6th could be the price tag (let's face it,it had to be an overpayment..not an equal deal)..I would do the deal to be honest,having a one two punch of Reinhart and Horvat would set us up for years down the road..basically the spine of the team....Players like Shink are easier to acquire than a bona fide center.

The downside is if the #6 (Nylander,Ehlers,Dal Colle) really hits it out of the park...We could lose the trade,but I don't think it will ever be a lopsided one.

Guest Dasein

We need to stop thinking about this in a fixed way. People keep saying we can't give up prospects to get the #1 pick because our pool is too shallow, but that's because you're only looking at one of the trades that we would be making. A lot rides on what we get back in return for Ryan Kesler - that's going to have some quality prospects that allows us to absorb the loss we will see in pursuing the #1 pick. Saying Horvat and Shinkaruk are untouchable because they are our best prospects is ridiculous. Why would Florida give their #1 pick up for anything less than the other team's best prospects? Does it cost a lot? Yes. Is it too much? No. A trade for the #1 pick is getting quality over quantity. Normally, this would hurt a team because it depletes a team's prospect pool, but we are getting that quantity back in the Ryan Kesler trade.

So, assuming EF is right, and we give up Shinkaruk + roster player + 6th:

As for who we should pick with the #1 pick, I really like Reinhart, but all this talk is making it seem crazy to pass on Ekblad. I think we can try to get both like Burke did in 1999. Draft Ekblad #1, Buffalo will most likely draft Bennett #2, leaving Edmonton with a chance at Reinhart at #3 - but Edmonton wants defense badly. Ekblad makes Tanev expendable - if we throw two top 4 defensemen (Tanev + Garrison) or Tanev + 1st round pick from Kesler trade (if that's not enough, I'd be okay throwing Garrison in because we don't need him, and that should be more than enough), it might be enough for Edmonton to give Reinhart up.

Anyways, the probability that happens is very very low and very very unlikely. We don't even know if we are getting that #1 pick. Let's just wait and assess the situation IF and when both major trades - #1 pick and Kesler trade - happen. I hope we can do both before the draft, and preferrably the Kesler trade first so we know what our complete prospect pool is before seeing what we can afford to give up for the #1 pick.

No no no no no no no.

Keep the 6th. Shinkaruk will be an absolute stud and he loves being a Canuck. Look at his twitter page, all he does is talk to Canucks prospects and talk about the Canucks.

He's the type of guy who will stick with this team for a long time. And he's got plenty of skill to boot.

Keep the 6th. Take Ehlers or Nylander, keep shinkaruk.

This. It's not like the number one is a stammer or Sid or ovy or tavares

The one thing that surprises me is that people are saying that Benning didn't like Shinkurak in his draft year. It's not like Benning past on him.

I don't really believe this rumor, he may be a a piece Florida is asking for but i doubt canucks move him

No no no no no no no.

Keep the 6th. Shinkaruk will be an absolute stud and he loves being a Canuck. Look at his twitter page, all he does is talk to Canucks prospects and talk about the Canucks.

He's the type of guy who will stick with this team for a long time. And he's got plenty of skill to boot.

Keep the 6th. Take Ehlers or Nylander, keep shinkaruk.

The thing I like most about Shinkaruk is his drive and compete level, he is a little speed demon, whether his size hinders his ability in the NHL is undetermined, but he definitely has the speed and the capable footwork to get around anyone in the league.

We need to stop thinking about this in a fixed way. People keep saying we can't give up prospects to get the #1 pick because our pool is too shallow, but that's because you're only looking at one of the trades that we would be making.

For me, it has nothing to do with "giving up prospects" it has to do with getting value for them.

I have no problem with moving most of our prospects (though you'd have to make a pretty good case to move Horvat IMO). But if it's Shink + our 6th (MDC, Nylander etc) + say Tanev for Reinhart....that's just too high of a price IMO and poor asset management. We're better off keeping those players IMO as they hold more value/potential than one player.

Except that there is nothing really suggesting that Reinhart could really just step right in. There is also nothing to suggest that Shinkaruk is automatically some sort of bust. All this seems to be nothing more than speculation.

Yes, you are right. When it comes to kids this age at the draft and just after, it is totally speculation.

And I do not think Shinkaruk is a bust, but the risk is high. The risk is high on Reinhart as well but with him it is an unknown risk which we can conjecture with a certain reliability. With Shinkaruk, it is that PLUS the fact that he has had to have work done on his hips and hasn't played hockey in like 8 months. Until he gets back on skates in a competitive level he is basically one giant question mark wrapped in hope right now. We have to see how much quickness he has lost and where his top gear is. There is no such thing as 100% repaired after a surgery if the surgery was to fix known good anatomy that got damaged. Sometimes it appears that there is (like some kids throwing harder after Tommy John) but that is a trick of conditioning due to the rehab process and the physical part that was repaired is always weaker, at least a little bit.

For me, it has nothing to do with "giving up prospects" it has to do with getting value for them.

I have no problem with moving most of our prospects (though you'd have to make a pretty good case to move Horvat IMO). But if it's Shink + our 6th (MDC, Nylander etc) + say Tanev for Reinhart....that's just too high of a price IMO and poor asset management. We're better off keeping those players IMO as they hold more value/potential than one player.

Agreed,if it was Shink + 6th + roster player.....there would have to be the #1 and another piece coming our way.

The thing I like most about Shinkaruk is his drive and compete level, he is a little speed demon, whether his size hinders his ability in the NHL is undetermined, but he definitely has the speed and the capable footwork to get around anyone in the league.

It's not like he's Schroeder sized either.

A smart player can navigate the ice, as long as his core strength is good and he plays smart, he'll do very well. We saw he has the speed and hands to actually play at that level.

If he could be like a Paul Kariya type player, that's a total steal. And I think he could.

Why is everyone so keen on moving up to 1st? From what I've read and seen in mock drafts there doesn't seem to be a consensus number one guy (Reinhart,Ekblad and Bennett have all been up there in the rankings/mocks) and the gap between those three and the other 3/4 guys slated to go after doesn't seem that large (again just purely based on what I've read not professing to be some expert on jr hockey)

So I don't see why there is such a big push to trade assets and/or the number 6 to move up to 1...Maybe someone more knowledgable can shed some light?

lol @ people saying shinkaruk will be a star in this league. he has proved nothing. I like him as a prospect but he will turn out to be a top 6 players that's about it. he has a higher chance of busting than he does at being a star.

-Reinhart has proved even less.

-Last time I checked a lot of top 6 players are "stars".

lol @ people saying shinkaruk will be a star in this league. he has proved nothing. I like him as a prospect but he will turn out to be a top 6 players that's about it. he has a higher chance of busting than he does at being a star.

whats reinhart proven in thenhl exactly?

I think Reinhart will be a great player, but I don't think the potential of Reinhart is greater than the potential of Shinkaruk plus our 6th pick. We need to build a strong base of prospects and with such weak wingers in our system this doesn't make sense to me. I'd be more inclined to trade for the 1st pick if it was going to be someone like Gaunce with a solid roster player like Higgins and the 6th pick. We still have Horvat and Cassels among other center prospects. We add another center in Reinhart. And we don't give up any young wingers. Again, I still think it would be tough to lose any prospects right now, but I think that would be a fair deal, and not hurt us all that bad.

Archived