The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

I really don't wan't to lose Shinkaruk in a deal yet. What ever Torts, Sullivan & Gulutzan did right or wrong last year, Horvat, Shinkaruk & Gaunce were very close to making the team. Now they most def. aren't worse than before...

With the return we (hopefully) will get from the Kesler deal will make our prospect pool one of the most exciting in the NHL.

If we for example deal Kesler to the Ducks, with by the way is my preference, and land something like Etem/ Vatanen, 1st etc. and actually could pull off a deal to get the first from Florida. Think about it. Long shot I know, but if. Kesler will still get us some quality return and that most likely will include a first. So either we could draft 6th & 10th, or first and hopefully 6th as well.

Reinhart & Draisaitl/Ehlers etc.

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Etem

Gaunce

Jensen

Cassels

Very unlikely all that would happen, but if... I'd be willing to sacrifice a season or two to have that. And if that happens, we'll draft high for another couple of years. If not, that would be even better.

We're gonna need a LW prospect if we are trading Shinkaruk because our next best LW prospect would be Archibald...

But apparently as per a rumour from EF....it is a done deal and now we have posters named after young players claiming this as truth, as though it came from our GM or their GMs mouths.

Yet those same posters tear you apart for posting or following rumours yourself....

Losing Hunter Shinkaruk ++ for yet ANOTHER center is kind of foolish when anyone in the top 5 could be the best player in this draft. It would be like trading Grenier for yet another LH D man and then wondering where our RW depth went (newsflash; Grenier is our ONLY RW prospect)

Dunno about the rest of you, but drafting Horvat & Shinkaruk might be the best thing that GMMG did in his last few years here. I think Linden & Benning see that too. Those are not guys you wan't to give away, even for a 1st. Horvat is a solid pickup and Shinkaruk IMO a steal late in the 1st round.

No way would I do that. Hunter is our future Patrick Kane. Let's keep the 6th and HS, that price is too high.

The only reason I could see Benning do that is Shinkaruk's size, he may think he doesn't fit the kind of top 6 he's aiming for. Offer them Schroeder.

I agree and far as prospects we also have Fox a RW who I hope him and Gaunce get 9 games this season, so if the new team leaders Benning and Desjardins agree we might see it for 9 games which would definetly have an impact on who we trade Kesler to and what we get back!

A few things that jumped out:

A week ago, Tallon said he got 1 fair offer for the 1st pick. A few days after that Friedman o team 1040 said he didn't think canucks had made an offer yet for that pick. Today Friedman said they have made an offer, and Tallonsaid he's still only received 1 fair offer. So that basically means he didn't like Canucks offer.

I don't like idea of trading Shinny, 6th pick and a roster player for Reinhart. I don't think Canucks have the depth to do that deal. I would rather have Shinny, Ehlers, roster player than Reinhart ( who isn't even a concencus 1st overall pick). I think those are the type of moves that leave the Canucks in the depth issues they face today.

Kesler. Wowee. If he really wants out, he needs to pull his head out of his $&@ and expand his list. I am getting the sense his list decreased instead of increased. Again, Nash had a 10 team list whe he asked for trade. He expanded it to 12 after he wasn't trade at deadline. Sounds like Kes is doing the opposite which says to me he doesn't really want out - wich I guess is fine cause they're better with him o n roster.

Right because who else on the Canucks would Florida want for the first overall pick and not want the 6th back. There is no one other than Hamhuis on the canucks that has enough value for Florida to hand over the first overall while canucks retain the 6th.

Ooooooooh. See I assumed you were referring to the 10th+ trade, not the roster player for 1st overall trade.

Tbh, I'd rather do Horvat and 6th rather than Shinkaruk and 6th. I have a better feeling about this guy, and think he really has what it takes to be a 1st line winger.

1st, Tanev, and Gaunce with maybe a 2nd and/or Hansen is as high as i think I'd go, not willing to let go of Horvat or Shinkaruk yet, and Jensen is up there too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 way trade involving kesler going to Pittsburgh or anaheim and then the first overall + coming back to Vancouver

Like for example

To Anaheim:

Kesler

To: Vancouver

1st overall + 24th overall

To Florida:

Etem + 6th overall + 10th overall

Anaheim gives up 10th, 24th and Etem for Kesler we flip it over to Florida

Horrendous! I would rather keep Etem (shaping up nicely) our 6th (Dal Cole, Ritchie, Nylander?) and the 10th (Kapanen, McCann Perlini)

Imo, Tanev + 6th should be enough. Adding Shinks is an overpayment. Hope this is JUST a rumour.

Ditto. Maybe a later round pick or secondary prospect or Schroeder etc as sweetener but much more and the assets we lose are more than 1st is worth IMO.

A few things that jumped out:

A week ago, Tallon said he got 1 fair offer for the 1st pick. A few days after that Friedman o team 1040 said he didn't think canucks had made an offer yet for that pick. Today Friedman said they have made an offer, and Tallonsaid he's still only received 1 fair offer. So that basically means he didn't like Canucks offer.

I don't like idea of trading Shinny, 6th pick and a roster player for Reinhart. I don't think Canucks have the depth to do that deal. I would rather have Shinny, Ehlers, roster player than Reinhart ( who isn't even a concencus 1st overall pick). I think those are the type of moves that leave the Canucks in the depth issues they face today.

Kesler. Wowee. If he really wants out, he needs to pull his head out of his $&@ and expand his list. I am getting the sense his list decreased instead of increased. Again, Nash had a 10 team list whe he asked for trade. He expanded it to 12 after he wasn't trade at deadline. Sounds like Kes is doing the opposite which says to me he doesn't really want out - wich I guess is fine cause they're better with him o n roster.

Just heard Linden on 1040. Sounds like the price is too steep from how he was talking. Made it sound like Tallon really is shopping the pick hard though.

Benning being shut out by a greedy Tallon?

Time to shush the canucks faithful who still think FLA fleeced us in every deal and somehow get another pick in the top 10 and draft Ehlers and Virtanen to stick it to Tallon (two players he's reported wanting)

More and more I see these insiders talk about the top 5, I have more doubts on moving up in the draft. If a reasonable deal is available then I'm for of it and I also do like Reinhart mainly because of his WHL and BC connection but there is no way I want to trade a Shinkaruk, Horvat type of prospect.

I think something Benning has to seriously consider is where Canucks will finish next year. With a Kesler trade do Canucks end up in Top 16 or Bottom 16.

I could see a younger Keslerless Canucks team finish in the bottom 5. In that case we would have a very good shot at a top line center / franchise player in the draft. So is it worth it to pay a heavy price for the #1 this year. Or is it better to take the Number 6 pick and see how Canucks do next season?

Archived