The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/06/30-thoughts-nhl-free-agents-reluctant-to-commit-early.html

4. One team that has definitely made an offer? Vancouver. I believe it included their first pick in this draft (which is sixth overall) and Hunter Shinkaruk, who was taken 24th in 2013. There was at least one other piece, probably off the main roster, but I can't pin it down. It's not Ryan Kesler, who won't go there.

If Kesler goes to Pittsburgh, I'd deal either the D-prospect likely to come back in the deal instead of Shink. Going forward the team could use the offensive help Hunter brings up front.

I'm sure Florida wants to trade the 1st about as much as we want to trade the 6th and Shink.. but the positives outweigh the negatives. reality is that he hasn't played in a crucial year of development, and we don't know how well he will recover. If that's the offer they want, i'd take it. Reinhart is a can't miss prospect, he's not a superstar on crosby or stamkos' level, but with him and Horvat down the middle, i feel much more confident in our future.

if the canucks hypothetically get the 24th in a kesler trade with anaheim, i wonder if tallon would value that pick as highly or moreso than shinkaruk, who was drafted 24th overall himself. tallon might prefer the option of choosing his own prospect, since he's seemed to draft better than the canucks, but due to the fact 2013 was deeper than 2014 by all accounts maybe shinkaruk is better than any player that would be available at 24 this year.

Yeah, it has to be a 3 way trade involving Kesler and our 6th overall (or not) going out and the 1st + coming back. If we plan on replacing our top 6 core in the next 5 years, then including Shinkaruk is counter productive. If Kesler is leaving anyway, then we need to use his value to acquire the 1st overall if that is our target.

So apparently Jets are pushing hard for 1st overall..speculated package around 9th + byfuglien+ or even evander kane might be in play.

Might be a bidding war, hopefully canucks stay put at 6th + tanev + something small and not try to outbid the jets. It could end up being a big overpayment when its all said and done.

I think the only way I'd be ok with trading Shinkaruk is if we're packaging him for Evander Kane.

To Vancouver: Emerson Etem, 10th & 24th overall

To Anaheim: Ryan Kesler

then for Kane:

To Vancouver: Evander Kane

To Winnipeg: Hunter Shinkaruk, Emerson Etem, 2014 10th overall

then for the 1st:

To Vancouver: 2014 1st overall

To Florida: Chris Tanev, 2014 6th & 24th overall

We walk out of the draft with Kane and Reinhart. Pretty reasonable IMO but that's my opinion.

So apparently Jets are pushing hard for 1st overall..speculated package around 9th + byfuglien+ or even evander kane might be in play.

Might be a bidding war, hopefully canucks stay put at 6th + tanev + something small and not try to outbid the jets. It could end up being a big overpayment when its all said and done.

#FlaPanthers Tallon says he doesn't want to drop any farther than eighth in the first round. Let the rumors begin.

Ekblad appears to be the franchise player that this team needs now.

He will slot right into the lineup and make one top - 4 d man redundant.

Give up a pick,Shink and roster player for a franchise , puck-moving d man.

JB does this deal in a heartbeat.

Ekblad is a physical beast, two way or defensive defenseman. Who is at the top end of mobility for a big guy and has a booming shot. I have to admit I CRAVE that. Somewhere between Seabrook and Weber.

But thats not a puck moving D man? <_<

If the roster player is Hansen, then Benning does that trade.

I know everyone is excited about Shinkaruk's skill level, but when you compare it to Reinhart's it's not even close.

The 6th overall pick is also very uncertain to be a slam dunk as well. I think the odds of drafting a third liner or a bust are much higher than drafting at star in this draft. And if this is the closest we're going to get to drafting a franchise player, we better make sure we get one.

Remember when Colorado rejected 3 first round picks from Calgary for the 1st overall pick.?

Yeah, Shinkaruk and the 6th isn't enough.

Shinkaruk + Hansen + 6th + a C-level prospect could maybe draw some interest depending on how badly Tallon wants to throw away a potential franchise player.

Remember when Colorado rejected 3 first round picks from Calgary for the 1st overall pick.?

Yeah, Shinkaruk and the 6th isn't enough.

Shinkaruk + Hansen + 6th + a C-level prospect could maybe draw some interest depending on how badly Tallon wants to throw away a potential franchise player.

Mackinnon>>>Reinhart/Ekblad

I say no now. im REALLY excited about shinkaruk. I wamt to see the kid play before we let him go.

Pleaassssse god no!!

That kid is going to light the lamp in the nhl.

I would put my paycheque on him scoring 50 goals at least once in his career

I would put my paycheque on him scoring 50 goals at least once in his career

Please stop overhyping our prospects.

Look at the players that have score 50 in the last 5 years. Does Shinkaruk really compare to them?

Once people realize that most prospects don't reach their potential, then you can realize that acquiring a 1st overall is huge for a franchise.

Archived