The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Ok, I'm going to take a guess as to what's going to happen......

Hawks trade Sharp +TT + 1st for Kesler + Mallet

Canucks then send Sharp +TT +6th for 1st overall

We get our first, don't lose any of our prospects.

Sharp is a 30+ goal scorer, I'd do the Kesler trade in a heartbeat but doubt Chicago would...

But that's still Ryan Kesler + 6th overall for 1st overall...

I'm not saying this will ever happen - but it wouldn't even be beyond the realm of possibility for Ryan Kesler alone to land TWO 1st round picks, but definitely 1st overall. Throw in our highest draft pick in a decade? I'll pass.

Tanev + 6th + unnecessary roster player = final offer

(sorry, I missed the other 1st. Maaaaaaaaaybe)

So Kesler and mallet moves us up 5 spots? Awesome.

Just for the record, I don't think many (or any) posters are suggesting Shink + Tanev + 6th, that's just ludicrous. But you are truly a blind homer if you think Hunter Shinkaruk is on the same level as Sam Reinhart in terms of overall ability, leadership, and intangibles.

Actually yes they are! Many here treat the #1 pick like the Stanley Cup, and give no indication of having an upper spending limit to get it.

This isn't about Shinkaruk-for-Reinhart, it is about Shinkaruk-PLUS #6-for-Reinhart. Even without Tanev in there, Shinkaruk + a Nylander/Virtanen/Ehlers/Ritchie is preferable to Reinhart alone. Much of this comes down to perspective of course, because some seem to think Reinhart is the second coming of Gretzky.

Well I have no clue what they think they can trade if they wont give up Tanev.

If Tanev is expecting a substantial raise, he can be replaced with Corrado and reinforced with a Poulliot or Theodore from a Kesler deal. But is Tanev what Florida wants? If they want a young defenceman that's playing now, Tanev, Stanton, and maybe Corrado are the only ones that really qualify. We'll find out soon enough...

Guest Dasein

I cannot believe you're discounting them. He is already more proven at the NHL level than Reinhart is yet for whatever reason...he is an "unproven prospect" worth giving it up for an obviously sure fire future HoF player in Reinhart right?

The mentality of this forum is some days steps about comatose drunk

Why is OUR prospects unproven/worthless yet a pick representing a player with a similar ceiling to Draisatl or Nylander is worth one of our top prospects one of our best young D men AND our top pick in almost 15 years...

Seriously CDC wake the hell up.

I reiterate. All season long "we need more scoring" "we need a sniper" "we need Shinkaruk hope he heals soon"

Now it's we need to trade him, he's unproven, we don't need him...

Unlike some here I have watched this exact process play out since the early 80's to NO good end.

Reinhart has done less, proven less than ANY of our current prospects...yet is worth them. On the same hand other teams prospects are worth far more than our best prospects our best pick AND our best player....

Some of you seriously need to wake the hell up

LOL okay.

you have some serious misunderstanding of value and potential. I'm just glad it's so obvious I don't have to bother anymore. Anyone reading your post would see that.

Shinkaruk has 2 pre-season goals = more proven. LOL

That could change via the Kesler trade.

Does not justify emptying the cupboards, especially of a top-3 prospect, of which we have none similar, AND of which perfectly fits the way Benning and Linden want the Canucks to play -- fast, upbeat, relentless, attacking, scoring. That is Shinkaruk, and the ONLY prospect like that we have.

But that's still Ryan Kesler + 6th overall for 1st overall...

Simply horrid. Oh, the allure of golden trinkets and magic beans...

it wouldn't even be beyond the realm of possibility for Ryan Kesler alone to land TWO 1st round picks, but definitely 1st overall.

Of course, but it was basically called irrational to state that Kesler is worth more than the #1/Reinhart. As such, apparently all we'd get for the entire roster is a handful of mid to late-round picks.

LOL okay.

you have some serious misunderstanding of value and potential. I'm just glad it's so obvious I don't have to bother anymore. Anyone reading your post would see that.

Shinkaruk has 2 pre-season goals = more proven. LOL

how many goals does Reinhart have at the NHL level again? Remind me when he undresses Lundquist on one leg with a bad hip.

You're missing the point entirely and it shows. That's to big of a package for it to be worthwhile for the canucks tho make that move

Guest Dasein

how many goals does Reinhart have at the NHL level again? Remind me when he undresses Lundquist on one leg with a bad hip.

You're missing the point entirely and it shows. That's to big of a package for it to be worthwhile for the canucks tho make that move

Zero. Shinkaruk has zero also. Nobody counts pre-season... Ask Shinkaruk how many goals he has at the NHL level, and he'll tell you "I haven't even played a game yet."

You don't understand the valuation of prospects at all and it shows.

Sidenote: and "Undressed"? LOL. Weak one on Lundqvist in PRE-SEASON.

I cannot believe you're discounting them. He is already more proven at the NHL level than Reinhart is yet for whatever reason...he is an "unproven prospect" worth giving it up for an obviously sure fire future HoF player in Reinhart right?

The mentality of this forum is some days steps about comatose drunk

Why is OUR prospects unproven/worthless yet a pick representing a player with a similar ceiling to Draisatl or Nylander is worth one of our top prospects one of our best young D men AND our top pick in almost 15 years...

Seriously CDC wake the hell up.

I reiterate. All season long "we need more scoring" "we need a sniper" "we need Shinkaruk hope he heals soon"

Now it's we need to trade him, he's unproven, we don't need him...

Unlike some here I have watched this exact process play out since the early 80's to NO good end.

Reinhart has done less, proven less than ANY of our current prospects...yet is worth them. On the same hand other teams prospects are worth far more than our best prospects our best pick AND our best player....

Some of you seriously need to wake the hell up

Lol

Remember Shirokov??

How about Kariya??

Preseason is just that , preseason.

Such a reach.

Zero. Shinkaruk has zero also. Nobody counts pre-season... Ask Shinkaruk how many goals he has at the NHL level, and he'll tell you "I haven't even played a game yet."

You don't understand the valuation of prospects at all and it shows.

Sidenote: and "Undressed"? LOL. Weak one on Lundqvist in PRE-SEASON.

OMG he scored in preseaon he must be a superstar :picard: CDC logic

This is how it starts. He scores one nice goal in pre-season, and now there's people that think he'll be a 50 goal scorer.

I like the guy, and think he could develop into a good second line winger. But he would not be untouchable in getting the first overall.

I really hope we don't give up Shinkaruk or Tanev to trade up. I just don't see how that makes sense. If Kesler is the moving part then his value has to be what gets us the 1st overall if that is what we are trying to land. Tanev is currently miles ahead of any other defensive prospect, and will make one of our veterans expendable in the next couple seasons. Corrado, Hutton, Cederholm, Subban won't be able to do that for a 3 or 4 years. Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Cassels, Fox, and whoever we draft this year are the beginnings of a core built from within, and I think we can make a deal to move up without sacrificing our current crop of prospects. We have enough cap room to take a bad contract back, we have Kesler, a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners, and possibly a couple veteran defensemen that could be asked to waive to be part of a deal. We have value, and we need to do everything we can to keep our building blocks in place instead of selling potential for potential.

Oh, that same CDC logic where people are acting like he is already a bust and ready to throw him away for Reinhart, the apparent "best player ever"?

Reinhart doesn't have an NHL goal either, and he has nothing but potential right now. I don't give a sh** what he's done in junior. Stop treating him like a sure-fire star and our own prospects like trade fodder because it is beyond you that they could actually develop and become great players, too.

I really hope we don't give up Shinkaruk or Tanev to trade up. I just don't see how that makes sense.

Only to those entranced by the latest dish put out on the buffet.

We have enough cap room to take a bad contract back, we have Kesler, a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners, and possibly a couple veteran defensemen that could be asked to waive to be part of a deal. We have value, and we need to do everything we can to keep our building blocks in place instead of selling potential for potential.

Again, it's flavour-of-the-day myopia. The team is admittedly trying to retool with youth, yet many here openly advocate trading off the youth -- the PRIME youth at that. Do they not listen, pay attention, or even think about what's going on? Would seem not.

Only to those entranced by the latest dish put out on the buffet.

Funny how people who want Reinhart are over-hyping him, yet people who think Shiakaruk is untouchable are hyping him even more.

It's amazing how people can not follow our prospects all season long, but then everyone is suddenly an expert when it comes to their value.

Archived