The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] VAN interested in Ryan Miller

No. No no no. Goaltending is the LAST thing we need to fix on this team. Lack was run to the ground last year after Lulu left. When will this organition learn to have faith in our homegrown goalies? Look at Schneider, the guy is almost 30 and we've probably deprived him starting during his best years.

If we get Miller I want us to deal Lack, the guy doesn't deserve this.

He'd be a better fit in a place like Long Island imo.

Not interested.

Would much rather see the team go with the talented youth in the system.

If they decide they need to add, go with a guy like Thomas Greiss, with some prime left in him who would make half of a good, quality, affordable tandem, or even an under-rated/maligned guy like Dubnyk who'd make a decent backup, is probably much better than he appeared in Deadmonton, and who has something to prove.

Either of those guys would have an incentive to come in and compete for starts, and should be reasonably affordable while not being in a position to expect a gifted starting role. The price remains reasonable if they in fact are outplayed by Lack (and/or Markstrom), and the risk is acceptable.

Hiller will probably cost more than I'd want to pony up, and who knows if Eddie Lack will leave much of a crack for anyone else. He's a beaut!

A guy like Miller comes in and probably expects to be the starter - I don't like that idea - as far as I'm concerned, that is a competition - one that Eddie Lack has one step in on. Anyone wants that job, they come in as a second and have to earn/take it.

Miller is a much more proven commodity than Lack or Markstrom. If Lack is the starting goalie next year, the Canucks are basically not trying to make the playoffs, which I highly doubt is the case. Because I know Aquilini is a billionaire because he likes making money. He won't be making money if the team misses the playoffs again and season ticket renewals are awful again.

Miller's not super valuable these days, but most players can be a good piece so long as its at the right price.

I would think he could be had for a reasonable price due to his performance the last few years. Unfortunately, he has been given that can't perform when it counts tag. We have had enough of those types over the years.

I like Millers play on the ice, he has played for a crap team most of his career, then got traded to the Blues, where he tanked in the playoffs...........

He is good on the ice and what this team might need, but after game pressers, he tends to call out his team for on-ice play a little too harshly, and under this media crazy hockey market, that could be very bad for the fans and this team

I understand most fans want this team to tank, but a re-tool is my preference. Eddie Lack is not ready for the starting gig imo. I think it was completely unfair to him to get thrusted into that role last year, and most people felt that he'd have another few years to glean as a backup tender. I have zero problem in adding another established goaltender in Miller or Hiller. You might be able to get one on shorter term if you can thrwo the big money their way for a couple years, and if theres nowhere else to put the cash, might as well use it. This way they can continue to develop Markstrom slowly, and hopefully turn that AHL team into a solid club. I have no problem letting him develop at the minor league level for another couple seasons.

Also remember that signing a player doesnt necessarily mean that you have to keep the player throughout the players contract. You can use them for a time, and possibly move them for assets when the young gun is actually ready to take over.

Bolland would really add another dimension of depth to the team... Fox - Bolland - Burrows... Thats would be a pretty ratty line, and lovely to send out vs the top lines vs LA, SJ, and Ana.

As long as the term is no longer than 2 years, the money doesn't matter, we will have tonnes of cap space once Kes is gone. You bring Miller or Hiller in to give Lack sheltered starts, and ease him into the starting role. Lack is our guy going forward, there is no doubt, but if we could get him starting 35-40 games this year, and 45-55 the next, he will be much better IMHO. Sure you will say Miller is washed up, but are we expecting much this year? Lets be honest, Miller is a veteran guy that can come in and take half the load, and do a decent job of it. The only problem with this is what to do with Markstrom. I would hate to lose him for nothing, but would be smart to keep him in the system somehow.

Lack could probably benefit from some further mentoring, but do you really think there's anything either Hiller or Miller could teach him? They've both accomplished nothing in the NHL (ok, Vezina trophy is an impressive feat, but if you're talking about winning the big games, the ones that matter...), if anyone would be worth approaching, I'd say maybe Brodeur, but I'm pretty content riding our two young Swedes. Could be a miserable season with some ugly patches, but our twin towers in net really should suffice in a rebuild scenario.

Lack could probably benefit from some further mentoring, but do you really think there's anything either Hiller or Miller could teach him? They've both accomplished nothing in the NHL (ok, Vezina trophy is an impressive feat, but if you're talking about winning the big games, the ones that matter...), if anyone would be worth approaching, I'd say maybe Brodeur, but I'm pretty content riding our two young Swedes. Could be a miserable season with some ugly patches, but our twin towers in net really should suffice in a rebuild scenario.

Letting Lack play thru theveebuild...hmm, that's how Quick got so good!

Agreed. But I fully expect a 'pretend mode' from this team, including an ongoing Kesler saga, some questionable 'selling the future' trades at the draft, and a Calgary approach to rebuild avoidance.

I just hope we avoid Miller because I find him to be an utterly annoying, overrated and cocky, shifty-eyed mofo.

Especially this !

Archived