The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kesler to ANA

You guys aren't looking at this the right way...

Sbisa: an upgrade over anyone on our bottom pairing and he hasn't hasn't hit his prime. Great caphit.

Bonino: Had a better season than Kes last year, GREAT cap-hit for 3 more seasons. Solid playoff performer

24th pick: Could be a steal. You guys right now are looking at this as "the 24th pick" ....you aren't looking at it as being possibly Kevin Fiala, Robby Fabbri, Roland McKeown, Pastrnak, Scherbak or any of the other amazing prospects available

Solid hockey trade

Yes.

1. We lost our best overall player to our division rival.

2. The Sbisa kid is not a top-4 d-man. He's unproven still, has limited upside, and has now been traded twice.

3. And Bonino is a power play, non-pk, qualcomp-type center who at least is on a good contract, but also has limited upside, and is the reason the Ducks were looking at Kesler in the first place.

4. And the 24th pick in this draft is meh.

This is a very, very bad trade unless you're on crack. The upside is that the tank is (hopefully) now in full-pull mode.

Yes, there will be other moving pieces, but along the lines of shipping out more proven vets south for junk returns.

Welcome to the new era.

EXACTKLY

Matthias is actually close to or comparable to Bonino...

Sbisa has been flipped more times than a dorm room mattress

The 24th is exactly what again? Sanheim MAYBE

And we go from the early 3rd round to the late 3rd round....

Somehow Shinkaruk may or may not get flipped for the 1st or 3rd

And people will cheer that this is a good deal and a good day for the canucks

We got NO youth where we needed it, we got NO D prospect and a shoddy pick

Getting mroe redundant players does not help this team in the future where they are needed. No youth and now we play Kesler endlessly to boot.

Seriously feeling sick right now. It is not about oer valuing Kesler so much as it is actually knowing where we needed the help and getting literally NONE of it

Guys, how is this a terrible trade?

We lose:

A 29-year old 20-goal scorer that is good defensively (but doesn't want to be here)

We get:

A 26-year old 20-goal scorer that is good defensively (albeit lacking Kesler's ability to take over a game)

An NHL caliber defenseman that's only 24

A first round draft pick

AND $1m in cap space

LOL Canuck nation is getting tiresome. We didnt get fleeced what were you expecting, Getzlaf or Perry? A lottery pick??? Keep dreaming Canuck nation, keep dreaming. hahahahahaha.

Just what I thought we'd get.

Cool, link that post you predicted this return.

I think Florida wants Sbisa. Sbisa + 24th + prospects received from Garrison trade for the first overall.

I would be ecstatic if the Canucks kept the 6th and got the 1st (unlikely though).

This would be the only way this deal makes sense for me.

Personally i say this happens now:

FLA:

6th,24th,ANA 3rd, a rumoured player(not Garrison)

VAN:

1st overall

So out

Kesler,6th,24th, a thrid, roster player

In:

Reinhart,Bonino,Sbisa.

Not bad as Reinhart>6th,24th,3rd, and the roster player

And Bonino,Sbisa<Kesler but not that much.

To put this in perspective:

To Philly: Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, 2012 second round pick (#61-Devin Shore)

To LA: Mike Richards, Rob Bordson

We were soaked, folks. As I fully expected. All that 'nonsense' that i've been saying about us subsidizing the south is 100% true.

The biggest slap in the face is watching Anaheim (OUR DIVISION RIVAL!) with Kesler kick our fracking asses many, many times per season, for at least 2 seasons, and probably more.

Wow. And some people are preaching that this is good? Lol.

Bonino, who knows if last year was an abberation or not, I'm a fan of his so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say I like him in the deal.

I just don't understand bringing in Sbisa, the last thing we need is another LHD & he's not exactly the most valuable player.

I do like that we get another first its just disappointing that its not the 10th.

This is very fair value. Last three seasons Kes failed to hit 50 points and was injured most of 2012-2013.

Bonino is younger, cheaper, plays a similar style game and had 6 more points in the same number of games. I am not a big fan of Sbisa (would have been happier with Vatanen) but he is more than a throw-in piece. Plus a first round pick, not bad.

Archived