The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I've never seen you say a negative thing about Virtanen, BanTsn.

You continuously deny the lack of high hockey IQ, when at times he looks like he's a deer in the headlights.

Maybe it's because he's "our guy" but other teams fans (no, not just toronto's) point that out as his one clear flaw. The same we look at Draisatl and say he's slow, or Bennett not doing a pushup, or Nylander/Ehlers for being too small, or Ritchie being a fatty.

Again, I have always bought the upside, but I think it's a long and rigorous path for him to reach that because he's so raw. I don't like the idea of him being in the NHL next year just based on his physical tools. He needs to understand the cycle game and how to slow it down.

I don't think the Carter comparison is that accurate either. I buy into the Evander Kane comparison.

I prefer a meaner Chris Kreider, or a Tom Wilson plus (more elusive).

That crap "Boarding" call is almost as bad as that clipping call in the playoffs a while back. Player didn't even hit the boards. May as well have booked him for Fighting...

Edit: A bit late but I didn't get to rage about it when it happened. Forgive my timing.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 1

That crap "Boarding" call is almost as bad as that clipping call in the playoffs a while back. Player didn't even hit the boards. May as well have booked him for Fighting...

Edit: A bit late but I didn't get to rage about it when it happened. Forgive my timing.

That call was made obviously because the refs hate the Canucks....

right?

Why do people worry about his hockey IQ so much?

That can be taught, as he continues in his development as a pro.

There are plenty of NHL players that had the same issues as Jake, in their draft year (low hockey IQ), but now are NHL stars today (Corey Perry).

• Upvote 2

I'm not worried about his lack of production at the juniors, It's hard for good players to shine in a line-up thats full of them. Think about team Canada from Sochi last year. What I was impressed by was how much of a beast he was on the ice. He was throwing massive checks and standing everybody up.

He also impressed me with his board work and patience, He created a lot of zone time from what I saw.

I predict his transition to the NHL will be a lot smoother than a lot of these other guys because of his skating ability and his size.

And I do think he could be a great first line power forward.

I couldn't disagree more. He isn't really patient at all; he wants to run people over and drive with the puck. His boardplay is actually something of a weakness of his that needs work. He's not good with body position because he too busy thinking about hitting a guy back when someone hits him.

I've never seen you say a negative thing about Virtanen, BanTsn.

You continuously deny the lack of high hockey IQ, when at times he looks like he's a deer in the headlights.

Maybe it's because he's "our guy" but other teams fans (no, not just toronto's) point that out as his one clear flaw. The same we look at Draisatl and say he's slow, or Bennett not doing a pushup, or Nylander/Ehlers for being too small, or Ritchie being a fatty.

Again, I have always bought the upside, but I think it's a long and rigorous path for him to reach that because he's so raw. I don't like the idea of him being in the NHL next year just based on his physical tools. He needs to understand the cycle game and how to slow it down.

I don't think the Carter comparison is that accurate either. I buy into the Evander Kane comparison.

Pre-WJC, i thought the Carter comparison was great. After, though, I'm kind of straying away from it. He still has the major characteristics of Carter's game but Carter is such a smart player as well.

There are plenty of NHL players that had the same issues as Jake, in their draft year (low hockey IQ), but now are NHL stars today (Corey Perry).

I'm pretty sure Corey Perry has always been a smart player.. His knock in Junior and in his early prospect years was that he was not the fastest skater or agile. But his ability to find open ice and hockey IQ has made him into an elite player.

• Upvote 1

Guest Dasein

I prefer a meaner Chris Kreider, or a Tom Wilson plus (more elusive).

But a less meaner as well. Wilson will hit to injure at times and is very willing to drop the gloves.

I like those comparisons though.

Hockey IQ was never really a concern with Perry... Dustin Brown's was and still is from that draft year though - that might be a comparable (big, physical winger with some skills).

People worry about his hockey IQ because that's really the one thing that's holding him back from being an elite winger that we all hope he can develop into. It can be taught, but it's a concern nonetheless because some players never get it. There's nothing else in Jake's game that is really worrisome, so obviously the spot light goes on the one area he's poor in.

It's the main excuse to bash Virts for those who play the Nylander/Ehlers skin-flute.

Or it's a legitimate concern that is evident from watching him and has nothing to do with Nylander/Ehlers..

• Upvote 2

Guest Dasein

Obviously a lot left to prove, but that sets the expectation he'll have a legit shot just as guys like Horvat and Shinkaruk have had recent years.

EDIT: here's the link to the full interview: https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-interviews/sekeres-price-benning-jan-8

Also noted he had a real good tourny, pro-style body already, powerful skater and good shot, physical player. Will have to have a good summer but hopes he comes in and competes. It'll be a big step. Drafted him for his unique style (strength/skill combo) and they're excited but going forward want to be sure he's developed properly. Don't want to put him in a situation he can't handle but hopes he can challenge for a spot.

This I thought was the key in his answer regarding Virtanen.

MacIntyre trying to make something out of nothing by saying Benning expects Jake to be on the roster next year - it did not sound like that at all. He's really hoping that Jake improves a lot over the summer to challenge for a spot = he's not ready from what he saw so far IMO

You know the best thing about highschool girls? I keep getting older, and they stay the same age. Yes they do, yes the doooo.

WTF? Looks like you started typing with only one hand again. Hope you locked the door.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen has much better offensive tools than Kesler. But they are completely different players.

I feel like Virtanen has more physical traits but Kesler leaves him in the dust when it comes to IQ, which is really what sets the top players apart from the rest.