The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Yeah, it's sad that a player in his draft +1 year (especially one as good as Virtanen) gets stuck with icetime in the mid-teens. If I'm remembering correctly, he also averaged like 13-15 minutes in his draft year, so he's not even playing that much more than he was last season. Here I thought Greg Chase being traded would allow Virtanen to pick up some more minutes...

Guy scored 50 goals in 67 games in his draft year, then scored a goal per game pace in the regular season and playoffs the next season (81g in 81GP). He also had 5 goals and 6 assists in 7 games at the World Juniors. And he's 6'5 205 lbs...

I hate to admit it but that's a much better looking resumé than Shinkaruk's over the past 2 years.

im talking about mantha but ok.

Yeah, it's sad that a player in his draft +1 year (especially one as good as Virtanen) gets stuck with icetime in the mid-teens. If I'm remembering correctly, he also averaged like 13-15 minutes in his draft year, so he's not even playing that much more than he was last season. Here I thought Greg Chase being traded would allow Virtanen to pick up some more minutes...

Guy scored 50 goals in 67 games in his draft year, then scored a goal per game pace in the regular season and playoffs the next season (81g in 81GP). He also had 5 goals and 6 assists in 7 games at the World Juniors. And he's 6'5 205 lbs...

I hate to admit it but that's a much better looking resumé than Shinkaruk's over the past 2 years.

I think it also alleviates concern when comparing his stats to those of his peers.

Btw dude I miss your prospect videos

like shinkaruk? very good comparable, but nobody talks about him around the nhl....

im talking about mantha but ok.

My bad, but by the way you phrased your original post, it sounds like you're asking why Shinkaruk isn't getting talked about around the league in comparison to Mantha.

I think it also alleviates concern when comparing his stats to those of his peers.

Btw dude I miss your prospect videos

Some people just compare points and fail to realize that there are many variables to each players' season. The league, the team, the allocated icetime, injury situation, etc.

Yeah, I did more videos during the World Juniors than I expected so I'm going to leave that for a while. If a prospect has a really good game I may put a video together.

Here is a video you guys might like, its a single game highlight package of a recent game showing most of Virtanens shifts, its a great example of his speed and skill and how he can look downright dominating at times, he also scored 2 goals that night, but its his speed and skill that really stand out in this video, enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Yeah like ive said Jakes main concern going forward is coaching and development. He has all the tools. Most likely if he has a good camp next season, he will make the Canucks. Benning rather get ahold of him then let him learn more bad habits in junior.

Whenever Jake makes the jump into the big leagues, he's going to have to adjust to the role that he's going to receive (see Horvat). If there's one thing we learned in the WJCs is that he's not ready to be slotted into the bottom six role, at least not now (because lets face it, he's not gonna break into the Canucks top six in his first year).

I understand that it's a habit of CDC to want our flavour-of-the-year prospects to break into the first team but Jake will most likely go the AHL way... and there's nothing wrong with that, Utica will teach him many things.

Whenever Jake makes the jump into the big leagues, he's going to have to adjust to the role that he's going to receive (see Horvat). If there's one thing we learned in the WJCs is that he's not ready to be slotted into the bottom six role, at least not now (because lets face it, he's not gonna break into the Canucks top six in his first year).

I understand that it's a habit of CDC to want our flavour-of-the-year prospects to break into the first team but Jake will most likely go the AHL way... and there's nothing wrong with that, Utica will teach him many things.

But Utica isn't a possibility next year.

From what I've seen of Jake he's a good 3-4 years from being an NHL player. He isn't like Horvat where he understands how to play the game properly. He needs a lot of coaching on his positional play and decision making.

• Upvote 1

jake cant play in the ahl, he will stay with us then go to the world jrs then hopefully get traded from calgary and returned to the dub on a contending team an go for the cup

STats...blah blah blah blah....Potential derp derp.....iqz...wutdafook?

Virtanen is a local guy(this does matter, heart can't be taught), skates hard and fast, hits and can put the puck in the net.... O yeah and he is a kid that is built like a man....Any doubt of this guy's worth, work ethic or future in the NHL is a complete moron.

People complain about his performance in the WJHC...I see a guy that accepted a role on a team and performed it o the best of his abillity...Next year, when Jake is 1 year older I am sure a bigger offensive role will be placed on him and he will be ready to accept and perform that role.

Patience is a word many CDC'ers need to look up the definition too...also learn to pour a decent Burt Reynold's shot

LOL exactly. At least they aren't throwing themselves off of bridges anymore though. Go to the start of the thread if you want to see some serious QQing.

Just wait until he suits up for his first preseason game with a 'nucks jersey on. About ten seconds after he blows up the first guy the bandwagon will be loaded for bear....... :rolleyes::lol::P

From what I've seen of Jake he's a good 3-4 years from being an NHL player. He isn't like Horvat where he understands how to play the game properly. He needs a lot of coaching on his positional play and decision making.

funny how benning said with a good summer of conditioning virtanen could push for a spot next yr but i guess your a nhl gm and you know better lol

• Upvote 1

Lol. Of course benning is going to pump his prospects. There is no way an 18 year old Virtanen makes the Canucks roster next year.

Its not that, its just that Virtanen is big enough to play in the NHL, but I would also want Virtanen to develop slowly; however, could he make our 3rd line better next year?

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

But Utica isn't a possibility next year.

jake cant play in the ahl, he will stay with us then go to the world jrs then hopefully get traded from calgary and returned to the dub on a contending team an go for the cup

I know he's not available for the AHL. He's simply not going to go straight from the WHL to the NHL. He hasn't shown the consistency and skill level to make that kind of jump.

I'd say that it'll be a good 2-4 years before we see him have a shot at the Canucks roster.

Its not that, its just that Virtanen is big enough to play in the NHL, but I would also want Virtanen to develop slowly; however, could he make our 3rd line better next year?

lol you don't make the NHL just because you're big, even under a size-driven GM like Benning.

Edited by guntrix

I know he's not available for the AHL. He's simply not going to go straight from the WHL to the NHL. He hasn't shown the consistency and skill level to make that kind of jump.

I'd say that it'll be a good 2-4 years before we see him have a shot at the Canucks roster.

lol you don't make the NHL just because you're big, even under a size-driven GM like Benning.

Well go text Mr Benning about his plan with the kid lol Its not me saying this. its Benning who believes Virtanen can make it. Like I said before I want him to develop slowly.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

WD has said in the past he doesn't like to have teenagers on the team however Bo was able to change his mind because of his excellent defensive game. If Virtanen can find a way to round out his defensive game so that he can be adequate in his own zone and still maintain that speedy, aggressive, offensive game, I think he would give WD a hard dilemma.

If anything Virtanen is everything right now that this team needs. Speed, sandpaper, and most importantly offense. will be fun to watch him progress through the rest of this season and heading into training camp.

Lol. Of course benning is going to pump his prospects. There is no way an 18 year old Virtanen makes the Canucks roster next year.

I agree that there is a slim (at best) chance of Desjardins inserting an 18 year old, who needs work on defense no less, into his lineup. Could he improve his defensive-side? Sure, but we don't know for certain so we've got to predict with what we've got. That being said, I think that 4 years is a little far.

My estimation is that he comes to next year's camp then gets sent back to the WHL accordingly. He'll play out his last year of Junior and get the chance to join the Comets once his season is over. I think he will seriously challenge for a spot in the following training camp.

But even if he impresses at next season's camp, you can be fairly certain that Desjardins would much prefer Vrbata/Burrows/Hansen and even Kassian.