The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Easy to see that it is you who listens to 1040 and knows that.  Me? I can just count to 14 forwards who require waivers plus Petterssen who is in front of Gaudette and see he isn't being given a fair chance.  

So WHO TOOK GAUDETTE'S spot??? You didn't answer.

If you really think Beagle did, don't mind if we pat you on the head and say there...there (and don't listen to your silly talk).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Easy to see that it is you who listens to 1040 and knows that.  Me? I can just count to 16 forwards who require waivers plus Petterssen who is in front of Gaudette and see he isn't being given a fair chance.  

You're not wrong. We'll see how it shakes out. Either way, there's a case to be made regarding where Gaud lands. 

UTI should be a great squad, whereas Van will be a frenzied fishbowl media circus. I'd suggest to just see the positives in both outcomes. It's not life or death.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Easy to see that it is you who listens to 1040 and knows that.  Me? I can just count to 16 forwards who require waivers plus Petterssen who is in front of Gaudette and see he isn't being given a fair chance.  

Big difference between flipping channels on a 15 minute commute to work, and absorbing and parroting whatever is said.

Where has no "fair chance" been given?  We're not even at training camp yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So WHO TOOK GAUDETTE'S spot??? You didn't answer.

If you really think Beagle did, don't mind if we pat you on the head and say there...there (and don't listen to your silly talk).

Beagle is a 4th line center.  Gaudette should never be that.  I would guess it will be a mix of Petterssen, Schaller and/or Gagner in the 3rd C spot when we are healthy.  Maybe Gaudette on call up at times when we aren't or maybe after the deadline (but maybe they keep everyone down at the end of the year for a Calder run). But reality is that management has left little room for the young guys with the signing they did, perhaps the plan is the Calder run.  But I don't honestly think Gaudette is the second best young forward at camp and we could realistically see Petterssen, Jasek, Dahlen and Gaudette all be in the top 12 at training camp but there is no way the team waives or trades some 7 players to make room for 4 rookie forwards.  The way we are built we will get one or two rookies (Petterssen and maybe Juolevi) to start the season and some chance of callups for the developing hoard of players.  May be really exciting to watch Utica this year.  Will be great to see a few good young players in Vancouver (BB, BH, JV, EP) but it could have been much more progressive and youth oriented this year.  We will have to be content with what we get in Van and be watching Utica and the assorted other prospects again.  That may be close to as good as prospect watching last year though.  

26 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Beagle is a 4th line center.  Gaudette should never be that.  I would guess it will be a mix of Petterssen, Schaller and/or Gagner in the 3rd C spot when we are healthy.

Yeah no.  IF he's on the starting roster at all, it'll be as a winger or spare.  The kids are going to blow him out of there -- Pettersson with raw skill and Gaudette with a tenacity that Sammy just doesn't have.  Maybe not day one, but sooner than later.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Beagle is a 4th line center.  Gaudette should never be that.  I would guess it will be a mix of Petterssen, Schaller and/or Gagner in the 3rd C spot when we are healthy.  Maybe Gaudette on call up at times when we aren't or maybe after the deadline (but maybe they keep everyone down at the end of the year for a Calder run). But reality is that management has left little room for the young guys with the signing they did, perhaps the plan is the Calder run.  But I don't honestly think Gaudette is the second best young forward at camp and we could realistically see Petterssen, Jasek, Dahlen and Gaudette all be in the top 12 at training camp but there is no way the team waives or trades some 7 players to make room for 4 rookie forwards.  The way we are built we will get one or two rookies (Petterssen and maybe Juolevi) to start the season and some chance of callups for the developing hoard of players.  May be really exciting to watch Utica this year.  Will be great to see a few good young players in Vancouver (BB, BH, JV, EP) but it could have been much more progressive and youth oriented this year.  We will have to be content with what we get in Van and be watching Utica and the assorted other prospects again.  That may be close to as good as prospect watching last year though.  

Schaller is not a centre. Gagner...I am fine if they get rid of him if Gaudette steps up and takes the 3 C spot. 

No one gave away Gaudette's spot this year. It really is that simple. It is there for him to take.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Schaller is not a centre. Gagner...I am fine if they get rid of him if Gaudette steps up and takes the 3 C spot. 

No one gave away Gaudette's spot this year. It really is that simple. It is there for him to take.

Not sure why so many CDCers think that not making the opening night roster equals 'not making the team'. Asset management will definitely be used, but if Gaudette is squeezed out because of 'veteran contracts', it will be short/ very short term ! Any rookie deemed best, or equal to best, at his position will just have to have patience. Canucks management wants long term, low cost rookies as much as we ( the fans ) do !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I maybe wrong but wasn't Schaller given a 2 year 2 way contract?  If his contract is 2 way; can he be sent down without waivers?  I don't have a good understanding of the legalities of NHL contracts. :)

10 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I maybe wrong but wasn't Schaller given a 2 year 2 way contract?  If his contract is 2 way; can he be sent down without waivers?  I don't have a good understanding of the legalities of NHL contracts:)

No, you're off a tad on the waiver process. Don't sweat the details re what rules do and don't apply. Use the CapFriendly site to answer all ( most ) questions for you. Two way contracts are a payroll issue and have nothing to do with waivers. Here's a link to the Canucks roster. If there is no 'little green down arrow' next to a player's name, he must pass through waivers !  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks                   EDIT: if a player's salary is in 'green', it's a two way contract. If in 'black', it's a one way !

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I maybe wrong but wasn't Schaller given a 2 year 2 way contract?  If his contract is 2 way; can he be sent down without waivers?  I don't have a good understanding of the legalities of NHL contracts. :)

Schaller requires waivers. One way or two way has nothing to do with waivers. It only effects what the player is paid in the NHL vs AHL.

I doubt very much that he's waived anyway. There's no reason both Schaller (a winger) and Gaudette (a C, or possibly short term W) can't both be on the team. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

No, you're off a tad on the waiver process. Don't sweat the details re what rules do and don't apply. Use the CapFriendly site to answer all ( most ) questions for you. Two way contracts are a payroll issue and have nothing to do with waivers. Here's a link to the Canucks roster. If there is no 'little green down arrow' next to a player's name, he must pass through waivers !  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks                   EDIT: if a player's salary is in 'green', it's a two way contract. If in 'black', it's a one way !

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Schaller requires waivers. One way or two way has nothing to do with waivers. It only effects what the player is paid in the NHL vs AHL.

I doubt very much that he's waived anyway. There's no reason both Schaller (a winger) and Gaudette (a C, or possibly short term W) can't both be on the team. 

Thanks fellas.  Big help.

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Ok.  Let's take you at your word and JB's word for a second.  Gaudette and Petterssen and only those two are among the top 12 forwards.  Which 5 of the following do you waive or trade to make room for Gaudette.  

I will list the players from locks to borderline to make it easier for you.  

Bo

Brock

Sutter

Roussell

Beagle

Schaller

Virtanen

Ericksson

Baertchi 

Granlund

Leipsic

Gagner

Gaunce

Achibald

Goldobin

Boucher

As each of those forwards need to be waived to go down to the AHL.  

Can you see them keeping Petterssen and Gaudette and waiving Boucher, Goldobin, Archibald, Gaunce and Gagner? Keeping Dahlen and Jasek and adding Leipsic and Granlund?  No one took Gaudette's spot, the volume of players make it really difficult for the forwards who are knocking on the door.  Let alone some guys who think they should have a spot.  

This assumes we keep 13 forwards and 8 d which is Canucks norm.  

the same problem exists to a lesser extent at defence as all 8 return from last year with Juolevi knocking on the door and at least 3 more within longshot territory.  

35 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Ok.  Let's take you at your word and JB's word for a second.  Gaudette and Petterssen and only those two are among the top 12 forwards.  Which 5 of the following do you waive or trade to make room for Gaudette.  

I will list the players from locks to borderline to make it easier for you.  

Bo

Brock

Sutter

Roussell

Beagle

Schaller

Virtanen

Ericksson

Baertchi 

Granlund

Leipsic

Gagner

Gaunce

Achibald

Goldobin

Boucher

As each of those forwards need to be waived to go down to the AHL.  

Can you see them keeping Petterssen and Gaudette and waiving Boucher, Goldobin, Archibald, Gaunce and Gagner? Keeping Dahlen and Jasek and adding Leipsic and Granlund?  No one took Gaudette's spot, the volume of players make it really difficult for the forwards who are knocking on the door.  Let alone some guys who think they should have a spot.  

This assumes we keep 13 forwards and 8 d which is Canucks norm.  

the same problem exists to a lesser extent at defence as all 8 return from last year with Juolevi knocking on the door and at least 3 more within longshot territory.  

Well lets see.

Gagner has not done well but is useful depth. 

Gaunce has shown very very little. I suppose he is a replacement level player.

Archibald - big and tough but if he gets more than 4 or 5 games in the NHL loses all his fire. He is barely an NHLer.

Goldobin...the best of the bottom few. Could work hard and show he belongs.

Boucher.....borderline NHLer right now

But you seem to have an issue focusing on what you said. You said the Canucks gave away Gaudette's spot. If Gaudette shows well in camp the team said he has a spot. So trade or waive whomever you have to (without totally stupid asset destroying moves).

And yes...those moves don't have to be made in the first week of the league. Injuries happen and in as little as a month into the season teams lose depth and need players.

You seem to have a very shallow grasp of the NHL...no offence.

You still didn't answer whom has been given Gaudette's spot. Maybe it was just really bad wording on your part...but you have not acknowledged that yet.

PS: you failed to mention Schaller has had surgery and will be out for the beginning of the season. There is one more spot. Granlund could be an ok player. And leipsic has barely shown anything yet. There is room if need be.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

40 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How on earth is it a problem to have depth/competition?

Who cares if players have to be waived to make space?    

I don't get the issue.   I thought the goal here was a slow, steady build back to a competitive team.   In doing so, the Canucks will have increasing competition for spots each/every training camp to the point where some legitimately fine NHL players will get cut and may even latch onto another team and may do well...but so what?   As long as the Canucks are improving, what does it matter?

I have been involved in hockey my entire life including being fortunate enough to have it be my career.   How on earth this concept of having too much talent being a problem has emerged as a fan angst issue simply boggles my mind.   

(see, Rob zepp gets it, why doesn't anyone else get it?)

it's like watching my 2 year old with other kids around.. he wants to keep all the toys, not just the good ones.. doesn't want anyone else to be able to play with them.. even if he doesn't like some of them, he still wants to have all the toys all the time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Virtanen is going to be one of the best players on the team next year. No one is better at gaining the blue line, fighting off the check, blowing by defenders, and he has a good shot. Shot differential when he is on the ice is greatly in favour of the Canucks, he has a very high percentage of unassisted goals, and all players do better when he is on the ice with them. 

He will look look great with Pettersson but he looks great on the left wing so I would like to see him with Boeser and Horvat also. He would help Boeser get close to 50 goals, where with Baertschi on the line, Boeser and Horvat would give up some to help Baertschi get 20. Virtanen is almost impossible to check, where Baertschi being easy to check makes it easier to check Boeser. 

3 minutes ago, mrtripdarren said:

Virtanen is going to be one of the best players on the team next year. No one is better at gaining the blue line, fighting off the check, blowing by defenders, and he has a good shot. Shot differential when he is on the ice is greatly in favour of the Canucks, he has a very high percentage of unassisted goals, and all players do better when he is on the ice with them. 

He will look look great with Pettersson but he looks great on the left wing so I would like to see him with Boeser and Horvat also. He would help Boeser get close to 50 goals, where with Baertschi on the line, Boeser and Horvat would give up some to help Baertschi get 20. Virtanen is almost impossible to check, where Baertschi being easy to check makes it easier to check Boeser. 

Haha you’re crazy but I like it. I think the top 6 will be largely interchangeable which is kind of a neat thought after having the Sedins being a fixture together for so long. 

I think there’s a real opportunity to build 2 equalish top lines and to load up a line when a goal is really needed with whoever is playing the best out of the 6. 

I think out of my projected top 6 players the last 2 I want to see together are EP and SB. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1