The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, combover said:

I like the idea of Horvat and Jake together with  Jakes speed to get in quick both have size drive the net and control down low. 

Id still like to see them getting jake on the P.K. and PP his speed on the P.K. would keep the d honest a risk reward ...and on the pp his wrist shot is underrated and ability to get back quicker that most of current d. 

The teams going to be bad this should be the year to experiment and give guys like jake (actual players we need for the future)To play in all situations. 

So Who cares where or how much  gagme or eriksdone play. They aren’t part of future. 

Jake’s (faster than McDavid) speed, combined with his heavy frame force D to back off their blue line.  Jake creates a lot of space for his line mates to be more free between the tops of the circles and the blue line.  I’d really like to see Jake with EP.  EP could work his magic in the space created by Jake.  I think Bo already does this for Boeser.  I’d keep those two together.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake’s (faster than McDavid) speed, combined with his heavy frame force D to back off their blue line.  Jake creates a lot of space for his line mates to be more free between the tops of the circles and the blue line.  I’d really like to see Jake with EP.  EP could work his magic in the space created by Jake.  I think Bo already does this for Boeser.  I’d keep those two together.  

1. Beartchi      Bo -        Boeser     

2.Pettersson  _Sutter_ Virtanen -----After 40 games pettersson at centre some nights ( W Lou )

3.Goldobin  Grandlund - Erickson

4. Roussel - Beagle - Schaller

Extra - Leipsic spare winger sharing duty with Goldobin and Schaller

Try and package Gagner

• Like 1

9 hours ago, combover said:

I like the idea of Horvat and Jake together with  Jakes speed to get in quick both have size drive the net and control down low. 

Id still like to see them getting jake on the P.K. and PP his speed on the P.K. would keep the d honest a risk reward ...and on the pp his wrist shot is underrated and ability to get back quicker that most of current d. 

The teams going to be bad this should be the year to experiment and give guys like jake (actual players we need for the future)To play in all situations. 

So Who cares where or how much  gagme or eriksdone play. They aren’t part of future. 

I don't see the team being as bad as you think they're going to be. That being said, I do hope to see the younger players being given all sorts of opportunities this season. It's the right way to go. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

vancouver-canucks-re-sign-forward-jake-virtanen-to-two-year-contract-article-image-0.jpg

Looking at the previous post (Jake’s end to end goal, which shows his speed, skill, and strength) and this post (which shows Jake’s nastiness) I really think we are about to see one hell of a hockey player emerge.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see the team being as bad as you think they're going to be. That being said, I do hope to see the younger players being given all sorts of opportunities this season. It's the right way to go. 

I tend to agree that they are not going to be as bad as everyone thinks; however, this is from the Hockey News today:

The gambling site Bodog released its over/under point projections for the NHL's 31 teams in 2018-19, with Tampa Bay, Toronto, Winnipeg and Nashville expected to battle for the Presidents' Trophy. The gambling site Bodog released its over/under point projections for the NHL's 31 teams in 2018-19, with Tampa Bay, Toronto, Winnipeg and Nashville expected to battle for the Presidents' Trophy. Vancouver Canucks: 77.5 points

Vancouver Canucks: 77.5 points
UNDER. Incoming rookie Elias Pettersson won just about everything he could in Europe and on the international stage last season. He should get prepared for a very different experience in his first NHL go-around, although the Calder Trophy is within his grasp. 

I guess we must be the eternal optimists.  My hope is that Jake, Elias et al. have something to say about that.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I tend to agree that they are not going to be as bad as everyone thinks; however, this is from the Hockey News today:

The Hockey News operates with an Eastern bias. The fact that they're using Bodog's horribly pathetic projections is a shot to their credibility. 

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The gambling site Bodog released its over/under point projections for the NHL's 31 teams in 2018-19, with Tampa Bay, Toronto, Winnipeg and Nashville expected to battle for the Presidents' Trophy. The gambling site Bodog released its over/under point projections for the NHL's 31 teams in 2018-19, with Tampa Bay, Toronto, Winnipeg and Nashville expected to battle for the Presidents' Trophy. Vancouver Canucks: 77.5 points

Vancouver Canucks: 77.5 points
UNDER. Incoming rookie Elias Pettersson won just about everything he could in Europe and on the international stage last season. He should get prepared for a very different experience in his first NHL go-around, although the Calder Trophy is within his grasp. 

I guess we must be the eternal optimists.  My hope is that Jake, Elias et al. have something to say about that.

Too much has been made of the Sedins absence. Certainly they were great ambassadors for the Canucks, but they were also 37 year old players who were in the twilight of their career.

Their point totals will be replaced. They're legacy will live on, especially how brilliantly they closed out their careers, leaving on their own terms and allowing the future to take hold. 

In summation, Bodog is a joke and THN is irretrievably stupid for referring to their projections. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Too much has been made of the Sedins absence. Certainly they were great ambassadors for the Canucks, but they were also 37 year old players who were in the twilight of their career.

In many quarters.  In the national media because they pay little attention to what goes on here and still figured we had the Sedins of 2012, and locally because it takes people a while to get over attachments to players.

Then the local hacks like Pratt come with the "the biggest issue for the Canucks is leadership", when not only have they brought in and developed leadership the past 4 years, but in particular signed three more veterans including a Stanley Cup winner.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

there goes his young journalism career (credibility wise)

No doubt. This guy’s idea of a “big scoop” is a false report of a player going out to a night club and doing what young, single NHLers do at night clubs. And then tagging on an unnecessary dig at the player at the end.

I mean, this stuff is hardly worth reporting even if it’s true.

And clearly it didn’t happen.

I thought BCIT was a pretty decent Journalism school. Surprised this guy didn’t know better.

Anyway, I hear Canucks Army has a vacant position since JD Burke left.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2