Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Are you able to tell Seguin is shredded in this picture or is the shirt throwing you off?  

images.jpg

Looks to my eyes like he's got a bit of a muffin top, when focussing on the area immediately above the white stripe.  Put a rainbow too-too on him, and I see no difference, other than five years in age.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

DGkihpgUIAApwyZ.jpg

Just to keep it in perspective, he looked pretty plump to start last season...so he looks far better now.

 

image.jpeg.f47b0f4e0625897c156b7c00085e1

 

The twins are considered the best physically in shape athletes on the team, and they didn't accumulate all within a year. To think Jake must be exceptionally fit within a year is unrealistic.  It took the twins until they reached their mid 20's before they were at their peak shape and for most players that is the case. Jake still has several seasons ahead of him of proper nutrition, workouts, etc to reach his top fitness level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Are you able to tell Seguin is shredded in this picture or is the shirt throwing you off?  

images.jpg

I was going to take the bait, then I realized you had me comparing the muscles of two men through their shirts. 

 

What's wrong with people.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Just to keep it in perspective, he looked pretty plump to start last season...so he looks far better now.

 

 

The twins are considered the best physically in shape athletes on the team, and they didn't accumulate all within a year. To think Jake must be exceptionally fit within a year is unrealistic.  It took the twins until they reached their mid 20's before they were at their peak shape and for most players that is the case. Jake still has several seasons ahead of him of proper nutrition, workouts, etc to reach his top fitness level. 

the Sedin's were soft marshmallow people when they first stepped in to the league and now they can cycle the puck while taking a beating from the best guys in the league, its quite the transformation. Jake doesn't have as steep a hill as they did, he's so much bigger and stronger than they were at this age but for sure he's got a few years of hard work left before he's peaked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...doesn't matter, I think Kane was older than that but they were both still kids mentally so....I like  Jake ...Kane is a prick....

I think you missed my point....I've heard many stories of Jake being a bit of a duck too but the point I was making is that for all Patrick Kane's antis and party photos, he still remained focus and got his job done by working hard, studying film and doing everything he could to help be a factor in helping the Hawks run amok over the league in 3 cup wins and over 100 playoff games along with countless major trophies.

Yes he was around 20/21 in that photo. Hard to think he is still just 28.

 

I don't care if a player goes and tips a few back at a bar and let's his hair down. Been happening for generations. 

 

As for Jake, I've been an avid supporter of this guy since we drafted him. I've always said that he was exactly the guy we needed when we DID draft him. Had size, could hit, wasn't a puss, could skate like the wind, and best of all he could score and had an amazing shot.

 

I think the end of his run with Canucks was the moment he called out the coach and whined about ice-time. Since then he got sent down to Utica where guys like Green, Ryan Johnson, and others put him in his place and humbled him to get a different mindset before he crapped away his career.

Around the start of summer, for whatever reason, I would run into him at the local gas station at the same time. Each time he was dripping sweat or had signs that he just finished an intense workout. His buddy would look worse for wear. He was trying to keep low key but I said hi and just give him encouraging words. Turned out to be easy to talk to tho. Kid is ripped and I hope he finally "got it" about taking this Pro life seriously and keep focused.

 

I for one wouldn't be disappointed if he were sent to Utica so be THE MAN and take all the hard minutes. When he does get his shot again here, I hope he rips it up and shuts alot of ppl up.

For all the love that Boeser, Petterson, Goldobin, Dahlen, Horvat are getting....imagine if Virtanen comes out of nowhere to have a breakout? Suddenly we now have some depth oozing thru the line-up.

GO Jake GO

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LimitedEdition said:

How can I tell that?  Because I have eyes and I can see.

He looks night and day compared to last year at this time so I don't really agree with your t-shirt eye test. From all accounts he's been training hard. Some guys will always look thick as that's there body type. Doesn't mean they are not in shape. So I respectfully disagree with your concern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LimitedEdition said:

Don't like it?  Don't read it.  Don't post.  Read the news.

You do realize they are wearing different shirts.  Anyone with some sort of definition knows that some shirts show off definition better than others. I've got shirts I wear to lounge around the house and I got another group that I'll where if i'm going out anywhere. 

 

I also have the same shirt Seguin is wearing which is an Under Armour work out shirt designed to fit tight and wick away moister.  While it looks like Jake is wearing a lose fitting everyday t shirt.  .

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You do realize they are wearing different shirts.  Anyone with some sort of definition knows that some shirts show off definition better than others. I've got shirts I wear to lounge around the house and I got another group that I'll where if i'm going out anywhere. 

 

I also have the same shirt Seguin is wearing which is an Under Armour work out shirt designed to fit tight and wick away moister.  While it looks like Jake is wearing a lose fitting everyday t shirt.  .

 

The only thing I realize is that Jake Virtanen is not in very good shape for a professional athlete.  Doesn't matter if he is wearing a loose shirt, baggy shirt, too-too, cowboy boots, onesie, snowsuit, spacesuit or speedo.  

 

Hopefully he can turn his career around and justify his 6th overall selection.  There's nothing I'd like more than for this to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LimitedEdition said:

The only thing I realize is that Jake Virtanen is not in very good shape for a professional athlete.  Doesn't matter if he is wearing a loose shirt, baggy shirt, too-too, cowboy boots, onesie, snowsuit, spacesuit or speedo.  

 

Hopefully he can turn his career around and justify his 6th overall selection.  There's nothing I'd like more than for this to happen.

They're hockey players not body builders.  I've got more muscle definition now than when i played competitive hockey. 

Does this guy looked shredded to you?

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It must be the doldrums of summer as we're now a few pages into analyzing pictures of Canucks debating fitness levels.  In looking at the picture of  Jake and Troy together, I don't see a huge difference.  Jake is a bit thicker through the body, but he's also a much bigger body type.  If I were to evaluate Troy's fitness level, I'd be concerned about his strength given the size of his arms.  I think it's important to keep in mind that there are a few things that can impact whether an athlete looks ripped and cut or not.  I think Jake looks just fine, certainly no less fit that Troy, based on the one picture we are all evaluating.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two things:

 

1) it looks like Seguin had just finished s workout or was in the middle of one in that picture, thus he likely had a pump going on.

 

2) Jake was not in the middle of a workout. Plenty of other, unimportant, factors could play into his appearance too- his hydration level, carb intake, sodium intake, etc. None of which would really matter in regards to his overall fitness level but could and likely would alter his appearance at that time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

They're hockey players not body builders.  I've got more muscle definition now than when i played competitive hockey. 

Does this guy looked shredded to you?

 

Fitness is fitness.  Jake doesn't look overly fit in his photos.  What else do you want me to say bro?

 

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Two things:

 

1) it looks like Seguin had just finished s workout or was in the middle of one in that picture, thus he likely had a pump going on.

 

2) Jake was not in the middle of a workout. Plenty of other, unimportant, factors could play into his appearance too- his hydration level, carb intake, sodium intake, etc. None of which would really matter in regards to his overall fitness level but could and likely would alter his appearance at that time.

I don't even know what to say to this.  Tyler Seguin is known as one of the most ripped hockey players in the league.  Leave it up to CDC to claim Jake "Chubbs" Virtanen has a similar body type to Tyler Seguin, but doesn't look like it in photos due to his carb and sodium levels.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm not saying they have a similar body type at all, and I'm not saying Seguin isn't one of the fittest guys in the league. Look st the sportsnet body mag shoot he did.

 

What I'm saying is these are factors that could play into the discrepancies you see between the two of them. It's entirely plausible and the fact that you'll sit here and say otherwise tells me you haven't set foot in a gym since the last time you put your thigh master away.

What are you some kind of doctor?  Reread what you are saying and do some self reflection.  Tyler Seguin is a ripped beast.  Jake Virtanen is soft and chubby.  There is no amount of sodium that could cause any so called "discrepancies".

Edited by StealthNuck
Explicit comment removed.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Fitness is fitness.  Jake doesn't look overly fit in his photos.  What else do you want me to say bro?

 

I don't even know what to say to this.  Tyler Seguin is known as one of the most ripped hockey players in the league.  Leave it up to CDC to claim Jake "Chubbs" Virtanen has a similar body type to Tyler Seguin, but doesn't look like it in photos due to his carb and sodium levels.

 

So you're kind of saying that we have yet to see a fit (proper weight too) Jake.  Heck, he might really be a very good player, when fit and 200 pounds?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...