The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benning didn't think he had the maturity to be an NHLer.

Same thing as a the Kassian situation. Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery.

The player he became in Dallas playing with Benn, is likely not the level of player he would have become if he had stayed in Boston.

I sure hope it doesn't take Jake a "change of scenery" to become a top nine forward:(

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I sure hope it doesn't take Jake a "change of scenery" to become a top nine forward:(

I think he knows. (Jake) Look at all the prospects we have drafted after him. It's all up to him. No one's going to hold his hand, and who would wanna be the goat in your home province?

3 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

He's been posting a lot of stories on Instagram of him working out, even late at night. Think he's going to turn some heads in training camp. Don't be surprised if he makes the opening line up.

It's kinda crazy how he fast he still skated (despite being out of shape) last year, imagine him in shape, my gosh.

7 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Pfft he isn't even lifting it over his head. Maybe dangle a meatball sub above his head and he will show you what he can really do!

I honestly think for Virtanen it's a coaching issue. If they would reward his good performances with Subway gift cards so that he could get his meatball fix, he'd score 40 goals a season!

I live in Chilliwack and was out taking a ride on my Motor Bike a few weeks ago.  I found myself riding down around the Prospera Center and noticed some guys working out so I took a ride over there.  I figured that it may have been some Chilliwack Chief but low and behold there was Jake pushing some kind of makeshift Sled with weights on it.  I did not try to go talk to him because I am sure he has to deal with that all the time so I did not bother.  I apologize to those who think Jake is not ready for the NHL or those who say he eats too many meatball subs.  When I saw Jake he was working very hard and he did not look soft or fat.  He was looking very solid and fit.  I think Jake will come into camp chomping at the bit to prove he belongs in Vancouver on opening night.  I recognize that all we can do is speculate at this point but I believe that he will show well at train camp and make the big club. :)

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I live in Chilliwack and was out taking a ride on my Motor Bike a few weeks ago.  I found myself riding down around the Prospera Center and noticed some guys working out so I took a ride over there.  I figured that it may have been some Chilliwack Chief but low and behold there was Jake pushing some kind of makeshift Sled with weights on it.  I did not try to go talk to him because I am sure he has to deal with that all the time so I did not bother.  I apologize to those who think Jake is not ready for the NHL or those who say he eats too many meatball subs.  When I saw Jake he was working very hard and he did not look soft or fat.  He was looking very solid and fit.  I think Jake will come into camp chomping at the bit to prove he belongs in Vancouver on opening night.  I recognize that all we can do is speculate at this point but I believe that he will show well at train camp and make the big club. :)

Haha I agree, I just think it's funny to say he likes to eat meatball subs.

16 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ya...it was ALL Benning huh? HE was the GM huh?

When comparing Benning's picks since coming here and Chiarelli picks in EDM,  It's obvious who was making the picks in Boston

“We’ll miss his speed. … In the regular season, we’ll miss his speed,” said Jim Benning, then the assistant GM.

2 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

“We’ll miss his speed. … In the regular season, we’ll miss his speed,” said Jim Benning, then the assistant GM.

That quote sounds like JB thinks about playoff success, and players who can perform in the playoffs. Maybe that's why he chose Jake over the guys who were selected so soon after?  JB saw Jake as a playoff guy, and saw those other guys as not playoff guys?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

What kind of player are you expecting him to become, though?

Fit is the least of what we should expect from a professional athlete. Suddenly being committed to fitness isn't exciting me because he'll still have the same hockey IQ. That said I still think he can contribute in the NHL in a season or two but not in an elite capacity. He'll need more than jumping jacks for that. 

Edited by TimberWolf

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That quote sounds like JB thinks about playoff success, and players who can perform in the playoffs. Maybe that's why he chose Jake over the guys who were selected so soon after?  JB saw Jake as a playoff guy, and saw those other guys as not playoff guys?

Or that Benning has always been bad at pro scouting. 

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

What kind of player are you expecting him to become, though?

Fit is the least of what we should expect from a professional athlete. One day being committed to fitness isn't exciting me because he'll still have the same hockey IQ. That said I still think he can contribute in the NHL in a season or two but not in an elite capacity. He'll need more than jumping jacks for that. 

Again, you are evaluating fat Jake.  We have yet to see fit Jake.  Fit Jake will be quicker to space, not tire so quickly in shifts, and be more able to keep up with the play.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again, you are evaluating fat Jake.  We have yet to see fit Jake.  Fit Jake will be quicker to space, not tire so quickly in shifts, and be more able to keep up with the play.  

No, I'm evaluating career Jake.

Being fit doesn't mean he'll generate high hockey IQ. Lots of fit and fast players in the league don't make it to elite status. Until he shows a reason to justify the high expectations I'll not have them and "hooray, he's not tubby" doesn't do it

Edited by TimberWolf

Just now, TimberWolf said:

Being fit doesn't mean he'll generate high hockey IQ. Lots of fit and fast players in the league don't make it to elite status. 

Again you are basing your evaluation of Jake's hockey Q on fat out of shape Jake.  Do you not think 30 pounds overweight, and not fit effects thinking, when under physical stresses?  Of course it does.  Plus, being fat and out of shape keeps a player out of the play, almost looking lost.  

I agree Jake has only shown he is anything but a top 10 pick.  I do have expectations he will be a far different player (surprising many) when he's at weight (under 210) and fit.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again you are basing your evaluation of Jake's hockey Q on fat out of shape Jake.  Do you not think 30 pounds overweight, and not fit effects thinking, when under physical stresses?  Of course it does.  Plus, being fat and out of shape keeps a player out of the play, almost looking lost.  

I agree Jake has only shown he is anything but a top 10 pick.  I do have expectations he will be a far different player (surprising many) when he's at weight (under 210) and fit.

Again you are assuming. I don't think being out of shape has anything to do with Hockey IQ, look at Kessel. Being out of shape is a separate issue to his problems. He'll have bad IQ in shape, he'll have it fat. It's just who he is. I still think he can be a Raffi one day but that's as high as I am willing to hope for. 

Edited by TimberWolf

10 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Again you are assuming. I don't think being out of shape has anything to do with Hockey IQ, look at Kessel. Being out of shape is a separate issue to his problems. He'll have bad IQ in shape, he'll have it fat. It's just who he is. I still think he can be a Raffi one day but that's as high as I am willing to hope for.   LOTS OF RESEARCH ON THE TOPIC.  Athletes train to lessen the affects on cognition as fatigue sets in.  

Edited by Alflives

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

Being fit doesn't mean he'll generate high hockey IQ. Lots of fit and fast players in the league don't make it to elite status. Until he shows a reason to justify the high expectations I'll not have them and "hooray, he's not tubby" doesn't do it

Who claimed Virtanen was going to be an 'elite' NHL'er though? He's always projected to be a 'toolsy', complimentary player as his ceiling.

His IQ is average, not poor. He's no Sedin with a 'Neo' like ability to read the game and see the ice but he's not clueless out there either. He's actually quite adept at breaking up plays and takeaways which does require some actual 'IQ' and skill. His biggest problems so far have been maturity and a poor understanding of/commitment to fitness. Both of which he appears to have made strides with, we shall see one way or another this fall in that regard.

A hopefully more mature and fit Jake, with hopefully some decently talented play drivers to play with in Utica should have a far better year IMO. 

We wait and see.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How does one know who is a playoff performer and who isn't without seeing these players actually perform in the playoffs? There is no basis for the argument that Jake is more of a playoff performer, its something that people state without evidence just so they can justify the pick.

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

How does one know who is a playoff performer and who isn't without seeing these players actually perform in the playoffs? There is no basis for the argument that Jake is more of a playoff performer, its something that people state without evidence just so they can justify the pick.

Someone posted this JB comment earlier about the Seguin trade.  I am certainly trying to come up with a reason why JB selected Jake over a couple obvious better choices.  

"“We’ll miss his speed. … In the regular season, we’ll miss his speed,” said Jim Benning, then the assistant GM."