The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong. 5'11-6 feet is not undersized, and Ehlers doesn't have 1 dimension to his game, he actually has more.

But yeah, Virtanen should be able to get into the NHL but he'll have a less chance than Ehlers at reaching his full potential.

you can be sorry all you want. He's the first 3 sources I checked have him listed at 161 163 and 165 pounds. What about that isn't undersized? I'd also like to hear why the current 165 pound forward Will have a better chance to reach potential in the west than the 200 pound forward... go on I'm listening. Edited by Gooseberries

you can be sorry all you want. He's the first 3 sources I checked have him listed at 161 163 and 165 pounds. What about that isn't undersized? I'd also like to hear why the current 165 pound forward Will have a better chance to reach potential in the west than the 200 pound forward... go on I'm listening.

Are you going to assume he gains no weight over the offseason, over the next year in Junior, and possibly over another year of junior?

He'll have a better chance reaching his potential because he a really good player. He's not soft, he's not weak, so the West won't scare him one bit and his skill level is already NHL calibre. He's only getting better, he's going to get bigger, stronger and he plays fearless. Ehlers has alot of dimensions to his game rather than just skill. Virtanen on the other hand is less dimensional, he has speed, he can hit hard, he can shoot but the way he plays he either has to lift his skill level up or find different ways to be effective because he isn't a below the circles player. He plays high in the offensive zone and uses speed to get around defencemans, he won't always be able to skate around defencemans at the NHL level.

Virtanen's potential isn't a 3rd line banging checker, that's his floor. His ceiling is a top 6 PWF, that'll be harder to reach with his skill level, he has to be more dynamic and unpredictable if he wants to reach his ceiling.

Also, the West in 3-4 years can become a more skill first division, who knows but eventually it will change. Ehlers can do alot more things offensively, he's more dynamic and that's why he'll fit in.

Are you going to assume he gains no weight over the offseason, over the next year in Junior, and possibly over another year of junior?

He'll have a better chance reaching his potential because he a really good player. He's not soft, he's not weak, so the West won't scare him one bit and his skill level is already NHL calibre. He's only getting better, he's going to get bigger, stronger and he plays fearless. Ehlers has alot of dimensions to his game rather than just skill. Virtanen on the other hand is less dimensional, he has speed, he can hit hard, he can shoot but the way he plays he either has to lift his skill level up or find different ways to be effective because he isn't a below the circles player. He plays high in the offensive zone and uses speed to get around defencemans, he won't always be able to skate around defencemans at the NHL level.

Virtanen's potential isn't a 3rd line banging checker, that's his floor. His ceiling is a top 6 PWF, that'll be harder to reach with his skill level, he has to be more dynamic and unpredictable if he wants to reach his ceiling.

Also, the West in 3-4 years can become a more skill first division, who knows but eventually it will change. Ehlers can do alot more things offensively, he's more dynamic and that's why he'll fit in.

IMO he has the highest bust potential in the draft. I just did a little research. In the west 1 player that weighed less than 180 had more that 30 pts. 1 player. Out of an entire conference had more than 30 pts. And that's 15-19 pounds heavier than helpers right now.

All assume he gains 15 max in 2 years. That puts him at 176-180. Still undersized for the West. Well unless he is as a skilled as Patrick kane. HA!

Edited by Gooseberries

Its pretty funny how HF always seem to give Canucks prospects one level below what they are. Ehlers is a 8.0 D Virtanen is a 8.0 C. Voracek was given a 7.5 B and he turned out great. Virtanen and Voracek are very similar expect Voracek has more hockey IQ.

Its also funny how people compare Kane and Ehlers. Ehlers is nowhere near Kane.

• Upvote 1

IMO he has the highest bust potential in the draft. I just did a little research. In the west 1 player that weighed less than 180 had more that 30 pts. 1 player. Out of an entire conference had more than 30 pts. And that's 15-19 pounds heavier than helpers right now.

All assume he gains 15 max in 2 years. That puts him at 176-180. Still undersized for the West. Well unless he is as a skilled as Patrick kane. HA!

Look at the teams in the west and their prospects. Toffoli, Pearson, Hertl, Tervaianen, Schmaltz, Faksa, Granlund, Gaudreau, Baertschi, Haula, Forsberg, Kamanev, Rattie, Jaskin, Barbashev, Rakell, W.Karlsson. Do these prospects sound like physical players?

The big west teams chose skill first players in recent drafts, it's changing in the system and we picked the wrong guy for our division. That's why I said Virtanen needs to raise his skill level higher or maybe we draft some studs with high level of skill and physicality. If Virtanen becomes more dynamic, he will be the one of the most coveted players in the NHL because of everything he can do.

Ehlers will do better because of the 18/19/20/21/22 year old players in other teams system. They will be the future of the west not Dustin Brown, Brent Burns or any of the big physical players in the west.

Look at the teams in the west and their prospects. Toffoli, Pearson, Hertl, Tervaianen, Schmaltz, Faksa, Granlund, Gaudreau, Baertschi, Haula, Forsberg, Kamanev, Rattie, Jaskin, Barbashev, Rakell, W.Karlsson. Do these prospects sound like physical players?

The big west teams chose skill first players in recent drafts, it's changing in the system and we picked the wrong guy for our division. That's why I said Virtanen needs to raise his skill level higher or maybe we draft some studs with high level of skill and physicality. If Virtanen becomes more dynamic, he will be the one of the most coveted players in the NHL because of everything he can do.

Ehlers will do better because of the 18/19/20/21/22 year old players in other teams system. They will be the future of the west not Dustin Brown, Brent Burns or any of the big physical players in the west.

But the thing is Burns or Brown cant catch those small guys. Virtanen can out skate any of them, and if he catches up to them he'll destroy them with a huge hit.

Edited by Blueberries

toffoli is 187

Pearsons 205

Hertl 210

Tervainenan 185

Schmaltz 172

Faksa 210

Grandlund 180

I can go on an on but most of the prospects you chose contradict your statement that the west is somehow getting smaller in the future. Some how it looks like its getting bigger (aside from gaudreau at 150). Also I see that you failed to list the 230 pound Nick Ritchie... not very small. And Pearson plays a Dustin brown style of game so I don't know what your getting at there. So I'm sorry but your wrong.

I don't even understand how you think that the west is getting smaller and will help ehlers when his is the smallest player taken in the first round. The west is getting bigger somehow.

Tell you what. If ehlers best statistical season is higher than virtanens best statistical season (+/- included) ill salt up my own gym shoe and eat it.

Edited by Gooseberries

Its pretty funny how HF always seem to give Canucks prospects one level below what they are. Ehlers is a 8.0 D Virtanen is a 8.0 C. Voracek was given a 7.5 B and he turned out great. Virtanen and Voracek are very similar expect Voracek has more hockey IQ.

Its also funny how people compare Kane and Ehlers. Ehlers is nowhere near Kane.

Not to mention they rated Shinkaruk. 7.5D last summer when really he should be an 8.0C based on his skill set alone.

Do you even know what type of player Virtanen is?

Raise his skill level? The guy is pretty skilled already....

He is one of the fastest skaters in the draft, has a wicked shot and backhander, plus he goes to the net hard and plays with an edge. If anything we picked the perfect player for the division we're in.

when Ehlers was drafted, "he needs to put on 20 pounds to be small"

exactly so its a tall task to put on 20 pounds and once that's done he's considered small. Then its a tall task to become a small successful skilled winger in the west.

He has the skill no doubt about that. And nothing is impossible but the deck is stacked against him. And the deck itself weighs more than him.

The Canucks couldn't afford to take a risk on another small forward, unless he was guaranteed to be the next Kane.

The only other realistic option I could see the Canucks drafting was Ritchie. And he definitely has some question marks in his game, especially when it comes to his consistency. I see him topping out as another Kassian type player. Which is good, but at number 6 they needed to go with a player who had a higher ceiling than that.

Virtanen needs to raise his skill level?

He scored 30 even strength goals that placed him 8th in the CHL (all ages).

It seems to me people think there are no qualitative differences in "points". They look at a guy like Ehlers and say he is more skilled than Virtanen because he has more points. Well there is a qualitative difference in points. Sure one secondary power play assist is worth 1 point and one even strength goal is also worth 1 point. But to me the latter is more difficult to attain and requires more "skill".

Edited by baumerman77
  • Upvote 1

Virtanen needs to raise his skill level?

He scored 30 even strength goals that placed him 8th in the CHL (all ages).

It seems to me people think there are no qualitative differences in "points". They look at a guy like Ehlers and say he is more skilled than Virtanen because he has more points. Well there is a qualitative difference in points. Sure one secondary power play assist is worth 1 point and one even strength goal is also worth 1 point. But to me the latter is more difficult to attain and requires more "skill".

Not dynamic enough and 1 dimensional in the offensive zone.

I'm not looking at points, I'm talking about when I've seen him play many times. He doesn't play well enough in the offensive zone in different situations. He plays the rush in and shoot or the rush into the zone and force it to the net. I don't see him play well enough in the dirty areas, digging corners, cycle, behind the net, below the hashmarks. That's what I mean by one dimensional offensively, I don't see him having enough space like that in the NHL.

Do you even know what type of player Virtanen is?

Raise his skill level? The guy is pretty skilled already....

He is one of the fastest skaters in the draft, has a wicked shot and backhander, plus he goes to the net hard and plays with an edge. If anything we picked the perfect player for the division we're in.

He doesn't play below the hashmarks, behind the net aswell as I want to. He has a shot, speed, goes to the net but he needs to be more dynamic than that in the offensive zone, he's not very good in tight areas and doesn't have the hands I want him to have.

How many times have you seen him play and seen him play well behind the net and tight areas? I've watched him many times, he doesn't dig corners enough and go to the dirty areas.

Again, our division in the future will not be big. Look at other team's prospect pool.

toffoli is 187

Pearsons 205

Hertl 210

Tervainenan 185

Schmaltz 172

Faksa 210

Grandlund 180

I can go on an on but most of the prospects you chose contradict your statement that the west is somehow getting smaller in the future. Some how it looks like its getting bigger (aside from gaudreau at 150). Also I see that you failed to list the 230 pound Nick Ritchie... not very small. And Pearson plays a Dustin brown style of game so I don't know what your getting at there. So I'm sorry but your wrong.

I don't even understand how you think that the west is getting smaller and will help ehlers when his is the smallest player taken in the first round. The west is getting bigger somehow.

Tell you what. If ehlers best statistical season is higher than virtanens best statistical season (+/- included) ill salt up my own gym shoe and eat it.

Nash is 216 but does he play big? No. None of those players you mentioned play big, they aren't comparable to the big physical guys in the NHL today. Who knows a late bloomer might become a big physical mean hitting machine but all I know is that the players I know are not going to be the face of a big physical team. 1 big player averagely on 1 team in the western conference doesn't make the whole conference a big physical team.

How am I wrong? Weight = a big physical player? You named 3 players and told me sorry I'm wrong? The future isn't big in the west. Tuch, Ritchie, is all the good prospects I have found on the west teams that are big, physical players.

You're wrong. Look at every team's prospect pool and then tell me I'm wrong.

Not dynamic enough and 1 dimensional in the offensive zone.

I'm not looking at points, I'm talking about when I've seen him play many times. He doesn't play well enough in the offensive zone in different situations. He plays the rush in and shoot or the rush into the zone and force it to the net. I don't see him play well enough in the dirty areas, digging corners, cycle, behind the net, below the hashmarks. That's what I mean by one dimensional offensively, I don't see him having enough space like that in the NHL.

He doesn't play below the hashmarks, behind the net aswell as I want to. He has a shot, speed, goes to the net but he needs to be more dynamic than that in the offensive zone, he's not very good in tight areas and doesn't have the hands I want him to have.

How many times have you seen him play and seen him play well behind the net and tight areas? I've watched him many times, he doesn't dig corners enough and go to the dirty areas.

Again, our division in the future will not be big. Look at other team's prospect pool.

Nash is 216 but does he play big? No. None of those players you mentioned play big, they aren't comparable to the big physical guys in the NHL today. Who knows a late bloomer might become a big physical mean hitting machine but all I know is that the players I know are not going to be the face of a big physical team. 1 big player averagely on 1 team in the western conference doesn't make the whole conference a big physical team.

How am I wrong? Weight = a big physical player? You named 3 players and told me sorry I'm wrong? The future isn't big in the west. Tuch, Ritchie, is all the good prospects I have found on the west teams that are big, physical players.

You're wrong. Look at every team's prospect pool and then tell me I'm wrong.

Ryan Hartman for Chicago is said to be a banger currently 190 not all huge but can hurt you

Alexis Pepin for Colorado is a 225 pound monster that will eat ehlers for breakfast.

Brett ritchie for the stars is nick Ritchie brother 6-3 209 pissed of kid.

Minnesota drafted tuch

Zach budish drafted by Nashville in 2009 is on how way up their depth charts. He's a 6-3 223 winger. Who knows he's big amd likes to impose himself on children like ehlers.

Dimitri jaskin 6-3 200 lbs forward for the blues said to have some nasty mean steak in him. 16pim in 5 playoff games in Moncton.

He jets have Patrice Cormier. Captained the 2010 (I think) world Jr team. Do you remember the things he did to the Russians did you watch? Here's a little story about him.

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

The ducks drafted ritchie this year. And Perry/getslaf aren't going anywhere for a while. Kesler isn't a fluffy bunny either.

Calgary flames. Patrick sieloff. Said to be the next kronwaller. Played for windsor a couple seasons. You don't want to be caught by this guy trust me.

Mitchell moroz for the oilers. Don't know much about him other than he's 208 pounds

Oh and this

Moroz is a quintessential power forward with a great deal of energy and can be a terror in the offensive zone in a physical manner. That effort does not always translate to offense, at least not at this time. Moroz needs to work on his skating a bit, although it is by no means a liability. At this stage, he projects to be an energy player with some potential to be more than just a banger, but he will need some time to develop.

Sounds like a friendly guy though...

Kings have Brayden mcnabb said to be quite the banger 6-4 204. Aaaaaand Pearson is no pushover at 205.

Arizona coyote drafted Henrik samuelson right after gaunce. I assume from your little prospect knowledge that you've watched him play at least once. It doesn't take long to notice him. He's a bully on skates with a stick that he likes to hit people with. A lot.

Sjs. You got me on one team. Congrats. They don't seem to have any mean strak forwards close to making the nhl.

Slow clap.

Canucks-kassquatch, kassassin, smashian kassian.

But yak your right. In tour little la-la land that you made up with unicorns pooping rainbows the west is getting smaller and friendlier. what shall you ask me to look up next? Sled with each of their girlfriends and see how hard they all punch individually?

Oh I almost forgot. YOUR WRONG. Now if you want to debate any further I suggest doing some research instead of pulling made up half assed "facts" from your poop shoot.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

Ryan Hartman for Chicago is said to be a banger currently 190 not all huge but can hurt you

Alexis Pepin for Colorado is a 225 pound monster that will eat ehlers for breakfast.

Brett ritchie for the stars is nick Ritchie brother 6-3 209 pissed of kid.

Minnesota drafted tuch

Zach budish drafted by Nashville in 2009 is on how way up their depth charts. He's a 6-3 223 winger. Who knows he's big amd likes to impose himself on children like ehlers.

Dimitri jaskin 6-3 200 lbs forward for the blues said to have some nasty mean steak in him. 16pim in 5 playoff games in Moncton.

He jets have Patrice Cormier. Captained the 2010 (I think) world Jr team. Do you remember the things he did to the Russians did you watch? Here's a little story about him.

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

The ducks drafted ritchie this year. And Perry/getslaf aren't going anywhere for a while. Kesler isn't a fluffy bunny either.

Calgary flames. Patrick sieloff. Said to be the next kronwaller. Played for windsor a couple seasons. You don't want to be caught by this guy trust me.

Mitchell moroz for the oilers. Don't know much about him other than he's 208 pounds

Oh and this

Moroz is a quintessential power forward with a great deal of energy and can be a terror in the offensive zone in a physical manner. That effort does not always translate to offense, at least not at this time. Moroz needs to work on his skating a bit, although it is by no means a liability. At this stage, he projects to be an energy player with some potential to be more than just a banger, but he will need some time to develop.

Sounds like a friendly guy though...

Kings have Brayden mcnabb said to be quite the banger 6-4 204. Aaaaaand Pearson is no pushover at 205.

Arizona coyote drafted Henrik samuelson right after gaunce. I assume from your little prospect knowledge that you've watched him play at least once. It doesn't take long to notice him. He's a bully on skates with a stick that he likes to hit people with. A lot.

Sjs. You got me on one team. Congrats. They don't seem to have any mean strak forwards close to making the nhl.

Slow clap.

Canucks-kassquatch, kassassin, smashian kassian.

But yak your right. In tour little la-la land that you made up with unicorns pooping rainbows the west is getting smaller and friendlier. what shall you ask me to look up next? Sled with each of their girlfriends and see how hard they all punch individually?

Oh I almost forgot. YOUR WRONG. Now if you want to debate any further I suggest doing some research instead of pulling made up half assed "facts" from your poop shoot.

Mitch Moroz projects to be a 4th liner.

Every team has hitters. If you want to talk about just plain 4th line hitters which every team has, I can name you many. But those don't matter because they're hardly NHL hockey players and won't be able to match up to Ehlers in terms of skill level.

LA is known for their physicality but it isn't one player doing all the hitting it's everyone of their players finishing their checks. No team has a team full of players in their system that hit, though they might be acquired through FA or trades. None of these prospects pools show any of sign of them being a physical powerhouse. No team what so ever, 1-2 players isn't a team full of them. 1-2 players won't be able to get it done. You could only name me one player that was physical, so what?

This division isn't even close to being physical if you look at the prospect pool, pick out 1 guy out of each team and that's your point? Pretty pathetic if you ask me. The top prospects are skill first players, the projected bottom 6 ones are physical.

Ehlers will skate around bottom 6 players all day and you probably think Ehlers is a small, soft European even though I highly doubt you've ever seen him.

You're basing your opinions off scouting reports, how can I take what you say about Ehlers seriously?

Edited by Plum

Mitch Moroz projects to be a 4th liner.

Every team has hitters. If you want to talk about just plain 4th line hitters which every team has, I can name you many. But those don't matter because they're hardly NHL hockey players and won't be able to match up to Ehlers in terms of skill level.

LA is known for their physicality but it isn't one player doing all the hitting it's everyone of their players finishing their checks. No team has a team full of players in their system that hit, though they might be acquired through FA or trades. None of these prospects pools show any of sign of them being a physical powerhouse. No team what so ever, 1-2 players isn't a team full of them. 1-2 players won't be able to get it done. You could only name me one player that was physical, so what?

This division isn't even close to being physical if you look at the prospect pool, pick out 1 guy out of each team and that's your point? Pretty pathetic if you ask me. The top prospects are skill first players, the projected bottom 6 ones are physical.

Ehlers will skate around bottom 6 players all day and you probably think Ehlers is a small, soft European even though I highly doubt you've ever seen him.

You're basing your opinions off scouting reports, how can I take what you say about Ehlers seriously?

oh any I bet your going to say that you personally know ehlers. Grew up with the guy watched all 63 games he's played in north America. Watched all 10 of his highlight videos. That makes you an expert does it?

If you want to continue this debate come back to me with some hard facts not just garbage that only you believe. I did a fair bit of research as you requested, I deserve the same. Otherwise ill just argue with my fish.