The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Man I kept seeing that Sanheim kid all over the ice; behind both nets, first guy out of the zone, last guy back and I'm thinking wtf is wrong with this kid?

Then I remembered there are two of them...2nd time that's happened. :blush:

It's almost like there are two of them :P

Edited by Gstank29

Man I kept seeing that Sanheim kid all over the ice; behind both nets, first guy out of the zone, last guy back and I'm thinking wtf is wrong with this kid?

Then I remembered there are two of them...2nd time that's happened. :blush:

Twins!

Though Travis is 6'3 and Taylor is 5'10/11...

I don't see how he isn't back in the WHL next year. Hopefully Calgary can give him a lot of ice time or they trade him FFS.

I don't see what more he can learn in the WHL next year, but if that's what the Canucks want him to do, so be it. There's more to being a pro prospect than just lighting up your undrafted junior peers while playing 30mins a game, but I can understand how some fans want to see that and build excitement. Just like Cody Hodgson. Future captain. All star. Bust. lul

One thing's for sure, Jake Virtanen's rise to NHL all star power forward will cause Rhys Jessop to cry.

Edited by BanTSN

I don't see what more he can learn in the WHL next year, but if that's what the Canucks want him to do, so be it. There's more to being a pro prospect than just lighting up your undrafted junior peers while playing 30mins a game, but I can understand how some fans want to see that and build excitement. Just like Cody Hodgson. Future captain. All star. Bust. lul

One thing's for sure, Jake Virtanen's rise to NHL all star power forward will cause Rhys Jessop to cry.

He can learn to be a more effective player on a consistent basis. He won't be able to learn that in the NHL where he needs to be consistent to even play under WD system.

• Upvote 3

Well at least McCann and Cassels are having a good playoffs so far.

Pointless for Virtanen in 2 games with a -3 isn't a good start obviously, but there's plenty more time to worry about Jake. If he can score some big goals in the more decisive, important games, all will be forgiven. Regardless, he's a project-type player like Kassian. Don't expect him to jump into the NHL any time soon, consistency is his biggest problem and it's going to take years for Virtanen to master that, but when he does (eventually, maybe when his mid to late 20s even) he'll be a weapon. Right now his inexperience and youth is showing, that's all.

I wonder if Virtanen is playing with an undisclosed injury. Because last season, he was very consistent with 45 goals in 71 games. Last year in the playoffs, he had 1g 3a in 6 games.

Let's hope the Hitmen get knocked out so Green can work with Virtanen in Utica and give us a better idea on what Virtanen really needs to work on. So far, we really don't know what is really going on in Calgary other than looking at the constant zeros in Virtanen's scoreline. There has to be more than what meets the eye.

Guest Dasein

No need for the injury excuse, players have good seasons and players have bad seasons, it happens. Hoping for the Hitmen to get knocked out is a ridiculous comment..Why would Green trust Virtanen in Utica when he isn't even fully trusted in Junior?

The thing is, we don't know what's going on with Jake. People are making excuses left, right and center - it could be an injury, it could be his teammate not passing to him (ex. Tambellini on the PP), it could be Calgary's coach who is not using him properly, it could be Jake bored of his competition, etc

Whatever the case is, we should find out when Green gets his hands on him. Maybe Calgary's coach really is a sieve and Jake plays and plays well in Utica, or maybe Green bag skates the crap out of Jake because he's the one who is not getting it - not his coach, not his teammates, not his potential injury, etc

Whatever it is, I can't wait until Calgary's season's over so we can get Green to take a look at him and make a proper prognosis on what's eating Jake Virtanen

• Upvote 2

But Green has way more important things to worry about right now, the playoffs are right around the corner he isn't going to only focus on Jake just to make CDC happy. I wouldn't put my money on him going too Utica at all

He's paid to develop young talent for the Canucks. That's his role first and foremost.

If Benning tells him to focus on grooming Jake, he'll do it.

But Green has way more important things to worry about right now, the playoffs are right around the corner he isn't going to only focus on Jake just to make CDC happy. I wouldn't put my money on him going too Utica at all

Green, JB and TL have all been in contact with Jake multiple times over this season. So your "he's too busy" claim doesn't really hold up based on past behaviour.

He's a #6 pick. It's common sense they're going to work with him as much as possible.

Green, JB and TL have all been in contact with Jake multiple times over this season. So your "he's too busy" claim doesn't really hold up based on past behaviour.

He's a #6 pick. It's common sense they're going to work with him as much as possible.

Would be surprised if he is signed to a PTO but sees limited action. Even practicing with pro players may help him learn to be more consistent.

Edited by Gstank29

Positives-

- had some chances in close

- made some passes, but players couldn't finish

Negatives

- missed the net

- missed receiving some easy passes

- didn't see him use his body much

- saw him lose the puck many times from poke checks

Overall.

-he was average, but he could be better. He is explosive but needs 2-3 years before the big leagues. No way I see him cracking the line up; unless he goes on a tear in the pre-season, which I don't see happening.