The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Obviously the Canucks watched their 6th overall draft pick very closely last year and Green got a very good look at him first hand as a professional, where he was the kid.

By all accounts he did very well in the limited role Green gave him, even if he wasn't a scoring machine in the intensity of a playoff run (neither was Bo in Utica). He made an impact with his physical play and Utica actually missed him the last two games.

Shoulder surgery didn't help this kid who's almost a year younger than his draft class, surely the Canucks have observed his ups and downs and all the warts everyone keeps whining about, but there's a lot to development yet to come.

Even with a unique package of size and skill there'll never be any guarantees with any player including McDavid, so why don't people just quit whining about this kid, in a couple more months we'll see if he can play with the big boys.

Benning has been throwing out hints about Virtanen making the team. He has said numerous times that he's going to give him every chance to make the team and has gushed about him on many interviews during the past season; especially during his time in Utica. He's a Benning pick and a Benning guy. Benning had said he wants more size, speed, and toughness this season. I'm not sure if he'll earn a spot or if he's ready or not, but he'll be given a spot regardless of what's said.

This is the impression that I get.

Obviously the Canucks watched their 6th overall draft pick very closely last year and Green got a very good look at him first hand as a professional, where he was the kid.

By all accounts he did very well in the limited role Green gave him, even if he wasn't a scoring machine in the intensity of a playoff run (neither was Bo in Utica). He made an impact with his physical play and Utica actually missed him the last two games.

Shoulder surgery didn't help this kid who's almost a year younger than his draft class, surely the Canucks have observed his ups and downs and all the warts everyone keeps whining about, but there's a lot to development yet to come.

Even with a unique package of size and skill there'll never be any guarantees with any player including McDavid, so why don't people just quit whining about this kid, in a couple more months we'll see if he can play with the big boys.

Ahhh, no. It's more like a few months younger than his draft class. Kid was born in August.

Benning has been throwing out hints about Virtanen making the team. He has said numerous times that he's going to give him every chance to make the team and has gushed about him on many interviews during the past season; especially during his time in Utica. He's a Benning pick and a Benning guy. Benning had said he wants more size, speed, and toughness this season. I'm not sure if he'll earn a spot or if he's ready or not, but he'll be given a spot regardless of what's said.

I don't think it's quite as set in stone as you claim. Benning isn't one for handing out spots. Not to mention without Virtanen we seemingly have a full team. I think depending on his preseason he may get 9 games, and depending on those 9 games he may play with the team all year.

His size, speed and strength are NHL quality in my opinion, and if Willie is as good as we like to think he should be fine next year playing bottom 6. Maybe some PP time with his right hand shot.

The impression I get is Jake will get a look but ultimately have to show he is ready to earn a roster spot or its back to junior. Cause that is, you know, exactly what Benning has said they'll do.

Yup. So much for "earning your spot".

Jake is likely to get more leeway than Horvat was afforded...Bo made one mistake the whole televised pre season and first 10 games or so of the regular season and still only saw 4-5 minutes a night if that.

I think Jake will be allowed to make quite few mistakes before they send him back and he will be given more minutes to make those mistakes.

Still, they will have to send him back down if he doesn't look like a threat to score most nights, hitting isn't enough.

Jake is likely to get more leeway than Horvat was afforded...Bo made one mistake the whole televised pre season and first 10 games or so of the regular season and still only saw 4-5 minutes a night if that.

I think Jake will be allowed to make quite few mistakes before they send him back and he will be given more minutes to make those mistakes.

Still, they will have to send him back down if he doesn't look like a threat to score most nights, hitting isn't enough.

Agreed, it is always the center's job to pick up the 3rd offensive player, so that alone will give virtsy more leeway than Bo was given.

Somewhere out there is Jake Virtanen's next victim, I think hockey players in the pacific division should stop and think about that for a second.

Do you think Perry, Getz, Kesler, Lucic, are worried about the great Virtanen and his reverse hit? Watch guys like Dustin Brown and his ilk go after him with knee or head shots.