The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think this should sitch be treated like how Sean Monahan was. Big boy with lots of upside, can dominate junior when he wants. Throw him in the show, give him confidence with some good minutes and watch him figure it out. Jake has what it takes to just throw on some big boy pants and get out there, so let him. Let him find a way to have an impact on the NHL like Monahan.

ideally he should be in utica. That stupid rule is preventing him from doing so.

This is one of those times where that rule is hurting player development. It definitely needs to be modified.

Wow for once I agree with you in this thread. The rule needs to be changed its hurting some kids futures.

Or, OR, the CHL as a development league is more important than giving prospects a one year head start in the pros. Where would players like Virtanen be without it if it collapsed because it couldn't make any money if all the stars left early?

Or, OR, the CHL as a development league is more important than giving prospects a one year head start in the pros. Where would players like Virtanen be without it if it collapsed because it couldn't make any money if all the stars left early?

the CHL did fine before this rule was implemented. Every other development league seems to hold their own. I don't think it would collapse like our think.

Jake's advantage is he would be effective on the 4th line, and as we've seen players on the fourth line get about 12-14 minutes.

He can be on second unit power play as well and get more minutes. He has all the tools to be successful.

I realize going back to junior he'll get more playing time. But unless he's working on things like scoring, positioning, and defensive coverage, I really don't know what's better Quality minutes over inferior competition, or Less minutes over NHL competition?

Jake's advantage is he would be effective on the 4th line, and as we've seen players on the fourth line get about 12-14 minutes.

He can be on second unit power play as well and get more minutes. He has all the tools to be successful.

I realize going back to junior he'll get more playing time. But unless he's working on things like scoring, positioning, and defensive coverage, I really don't know what's better Quality minutes over inferior competition, or Less minutes over NHL competition?

Not particularly impessed with the way the Hitman played hockey last year. My sample size was only about 5 games on TV however. If he played another year in the WHL on a 1st line one would have to consider it. Might come down to how the Canucks

view the Hitman coaching regime. The game has a lot to do with confidence and coachability.

the CHL did fine before this rule was implemented. Every other development league seems to hold their own. I don't think it would collapse like our think.

There are degrees of success or failure. Any time the CHL becomes less successful (which it undoubtedly would without more returning drafted stars) it generates less revenue. If they generate less revenue they can't afford as many teams, roster spots, money spent on facilities, coaching and travelling, etc. As those drop in quality, so does the player's experience and ability to develop comparatively to other leagues.

And don't forget for many of these players there isn't as much of an NHL career ahead of them. Add to that their college sponsorships as a result and other benefits and it's not easy to see where that money comes without stars to drive ticket sales. But depth and role players are needed to have a successful team, so star players can also develop.

That drop is comparatively worse than any possible effect of Virtanen's choice between the NHL now or another year of junior. You're overstating the impact to his development for one year more than anything I'm saying about the CHL.

• Upvote 1

There are degrees of success or failure. Any time the CHL becomes less successful (which it undoubtedly would without more returning drafted stars) it generates less revenue. If they generate less revenue they can't afford as many teams, roster spots, money spent on facilities, coaching and travelling, etc. As those drop in quality, so does the player's experience and ability to develop comparatively to other leagues.

And don't forget for many of these players there isn't as much of an NHL career ahead of them. Add to that their college sponsorships as a result and other benefits and it's not easy to see where that money comes without stars to drive ticket sales. But depth and role players are needed to have a successful team, so star players can also develop.

That drop is comparatively worse than any possible effect of Virtanen's choice between the NHL now or another year of junior. You're overstating the impact to his development for one year more than anything I'm saying about the CHL.

I don't want to carry this on any longer in the virtanen thread. Long story short I disagree with your claims above. If you'd like to continue our conversation we can do so via pm. If not not hard feelings. Neither of us are going to alter the others opinion at this point.

We can bring it back to Virtanen, sure. I don't think he'll be that negatively impacted by another year in junior if he doesn't make the NHL. So long as the Hitmen use him appropriately, he'll be fine.

EDIT: apparently tired today.

Edited by elvis15

We can bring it back to Virtanen, sure. I don't think he'll be that negatively impacted by another year in junior if he doesn't make the NHL. So long as the Tigers use him appropriately, he'll be fine.

hitmen*?

Also aren't they terrible on paper this year? I'm in the east so this is just what I hear.

Edited by Gooseberries

hitmen*?

Also aren't they terrible on paper this year? I'm in the east so this is just what I hear.

Yeah, not feeling great today so kinda coasting through. Fixed.

Give him the 9 games. Then he goes to play at the wjc. Then decide.

Who do you waive to give him those 9 games?

There isn't 'always someone injured' - you can't rely on that to save you from making roster decisions. If we don't make other moves then maybe Kenins goes down, but if Kenins deserves the spot more than Virtanen, do you still keep Virts for 9 games? Why would you if he doesn't show he deserves it?

• Upvote 1

There isn't 'always someone injured' - you can't rely on that to save you from making roster decisions. If we don't make other moves then maybe Kenins goes down, but if Kenins deserves the spot more than Virtanen, do you still keep Virts for 9 games? Why would you if he doesn't show he deserves it?

I don't know how but Virtanen needs to get his 9 game stint imo. It's important for his development. Maybe a trade or like I said there's usually someone injured anyways.

This is the 6th overall pick from 2014. He needs to get a taste of the nhl.