The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Great game today. He played well while half of the team looked nervous. Great to see he's taking a leadership role at this camp.

I just don't think the way he's playing at the camp is the way the Canucks want him playing. It's hard to critique him considering he's damned if he does (play today) and damned if he doesn't (play the pro style game).

The Jake Virtanen that would make the Canucks would use his teammates better; he did a lot on his own today. But at this point it doesn't matter.

Edited by junglesniper

Great game today. He played well while half of the team looked nervous. Great to see he's taking a leadership role at this camp.

I just don't think the way he's playing at the camp is the way the Canucks want him playing. It's hard to critique him considering he's damned if he does (play today) and damned if he doesn't (play the pro style game).

The Jake Virtanen that would make the Canucks would use his teammates better; he did a lot on his own today. But at this point it doesn't matter.

I saw him dish a few sweet passes today. One ended up being an assist, a couple others his linemates just couldn't handle despite getting cherry passes in the slot. Jake played a solid cycle game too, opening up lanes, using his speed to drag defenders out of position then making the smart pass to the point.

• Upvote 2

I saw him dish a few sweet passes today. One ended up being an assist, a couple others his linemates just couldn't handle despite getting cherry passes in the slot. Jake played a solid cycle game too, opening up lanes, using his speed to drag defenders out of position then making the smart pass to the point.

You can't possibly mean he worked on his overall game; from what I read on CDC he only shoots and hits.

I had no problems with how he used his linemates today. Thought he moved the puck very well and only carried it when the opportunities were there. This was Jake at his best. The question now shouldn't be about how good he *can* be but rather how consistently he can be this good. His ceiling is absolutely a very good NHLer (IMO) but can he do it night in, night out or will games like tonight be the exception? Edited by uselessstats
  • Upvote 2

Zack Kassian was never as good a prospect as Jake. Even when the Canucks first traded for Kassian and we had the usual hype, he was always viewed as a project -- a high potential project, but a project.

Jake is a much more solid prospect, as he should be as the #6 overall pick. Zack was the #13 overall pick and was never really on track for you would hope for from a top 15 pick (although I admit there have been quite a few worse picks in the top 15.)

But I take the point that Jake does some of the things we thought Kassian might do.

1. Kassian is a good skater, but Jake is an excellent skater.

2. Kassian has a good shot, but Jake has a great shot.

3. Kassian is big and strong. But Jake will be heavier and stronger by the time he plays in the NHL. He is probably stronger right now.

4. Jake actually makes solid hits.

Jake is not a great defensive player but he is better than Kassian. And obviously he has much more intensity and consistency. Also, people have questioned Jake's hockey IQ, but at age 18 he is a long way ahead of Kassian at age 24.

In short, no comparison. None of this means that Jake is necessarily going to be first liner in the NHL. But he will at least be a good NHL player. His floor is above where Kassian is now and his ceiling is much higher.

Offensively I thought Kassian sees the ice a little better than Virtanen. Kassian has really good passing skills and can work the boards well. Virtanen's physical play is superior by far. He rarely goes down compared to Kass who often did whether he initiated the contact or not. Solid game last night from Jake.

• Upvote 1

I had no problems with how he used his linemates today. Thought he moved the puck very well and only carried it when the opportunities were there. This was Jake at his best. The question now shouldn't be about how good he *can* be but rather how consistently he can be this good. His ceiling is absolutely a very good NHLer (IMO) but can he do it night in, night out or will games like tonight be the exception?

Exactly...

One year removed from shoulder surgery...he may be more consistent than last year...let's hope this is the case.

A power forward that knows how to play the game and the role...Go Canucks!

Liked what I saw from Jake last night. Had a real good game and looked like he wasn't even breaking a sweat.

Seemed like a typical game for him. Skate, hit, beat guys one on one, and shoot the puck at the net no matter the angle. I love that about this kid. For those complaining about him not using his linemates more, well, I figure he can learn that part of the game over time. But as Button said, that big body who can punish people physically and beat them one on one all in the same shift is sooooo drool worthy.

I don't recall people complaining about Stamkos when he came into the league as simply a one dimensional "goal scorer" who simply scored goals with a one-timer from the same spot on the ice every game.

I have a real gut feeling that Jake will make this team out of camp and then get loaned to the juniors over Christmas.

• Upvote 1

A little sensitive?

I was simply posing a hypothetical situation in which we could see Virtanen play some NHL games and not be forced to trade/waive any current roster guys.

As for the RC comments...you seem to know what you're saying, but supraspinatus injuries are common in baseball where there isn't much "arm flapping" movement.

I like Higgy, I do, and actually there's tons. 9 times out of 10 when you reach your arm above your head, the movement will start latterly, then move in front of you to catch the ball.

Also good catch noticing baseball and ping pong are exactly the same sport.

I like Higgy, I do, and actually there's tons. 9 times out of 10 when you reach your arm above your head, the movement will start latterly, then move in front of you to catch the ball.

Also good catch noticing baseball and ping pong are exactly the same sport.

The throwing motion in baseball starts with the arm moving backwards, not up to the side.

This is terribly off topic. Feel free to PM me if you want