The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I saw him dish a few sweet passes today. One ended up being an assist, a couple others his linemates just couldn't handle despite getting cherry passes in the slot. Jake played a solid cycle game too, opening up lanes, using his speed to drag defenders out of position then making the smart pass to the point.

That's my take as well.

Jake was always looking for the open guy to pass to and his assist was a perfect pass with just the right weight/speed on the pass.

Jake is going to look good with the Sedins....

...my prediction he gets some time on the first line by the end of the season after ripping up the preseason making it impossible to send him down.

• Upvote 2

Puck seemed to follow Jake around yesterday. He had some great scoring chances, some sweet hands and you can tell hes gonna be a good player for us in the future. Good hockey sense as he was in the right place always.

The one thing I find off about his game is the unpredictability of his shot. He needs to take control of it better as he fired numerous pucks over the net on good scoring chances. Maybe its just an equipment issue with his stick curve being too big that pucks are sailing off his stick. Don't know if anyone else noticed that.

Edited by sharnhayre

Puck seemed to follow Jake around yesterday. He had some great scoring chances, some sweet hands and you can tell hes gonna be a good player for us in the future. Good hockey sense as he was in the right place always.

The one thing I find off about his game is the unpredictability of his shot. He needs to take control of it better as he fired numerous pucks over the net on good scoring chances. Maybe its just an equipment issue with his stick curve being too big that pucks are sailing off his stick. Don't know if anyone else noticed that.

Noticed that as well. It actually nullified a few good chances because he didn't even hit the goalie or force a save. Funny cause his passing and hockey sense looked really good yesterday (his supposed weaknesses) but his shot - his supposed strength - was probably the worst part of his game. Definitely something he can work on though, just needs to commit the hours.

I have a real gut feeling that Jake will make this team out of camp and then get loaned to the juniors over Christmas.

Been feeling that way for a while now.

I think they're going to swap Virtanen and whichever of Grenier, Kenins or Gaunce they deem worthy in/out of the lineup to extend his 9 games until the WJC, lone Virtanen out and then make a call on him when he gets back. If he shows steady improvement, he stays up. If not he finishes the year in Jr.

Edited by J.R.

Been feeling that way for a while now.

I think they're going to swap Virtanen and whichever of Grenier, Kenins or Gaunce they deem worthy in/out of the lineup to extend his 9 games until the WJC, lone Virtanen out and then make a call on him when he gets back. If he shows steady improvement, he stays up. If not he finishes the year in Jr.

I think they are probably more concerned with game 40 as a deadline not game 10 for Virtanen.

I could see them keeping Virtanen for around 25 games, letting him go to the WJC and then sending him back to junior.

• Upvote 1

John Weisbrod was on TSN 1040 this afternoon just now, and was asked what would it take for Virtanen to make the team.

His response was that they all know Jake has the physical attributes to play in the NHL. His shot, physical game, and skating is all top notch and ready to go, but they are interested to see how he emotionally develops in the game. Can he handle playing in more intense environment, more pressure, and can he learn to keep his emotions in check.

• Upvote 2

That moment during the WJC when he went after some Finnish guy that had just decked Lazar.

Along with being productive on the board, and his leadership as a returning guy, the coaches will be looking for his toughness too after the first game against the Russians where there was little physical pushback

Edited by hd71
  • Upvote 1

Probably going to get the Draisatl treatment. With the Canucks til WJC, then back to the Hitmen in Jan.

It's also possible he joins after the WJC, when some players have been traded. We could use that hitting acumen in the playoffs, and it seems like that hockey IQ issue has been overblown.

John Weisbrod was on TSN 1040 this afternoon just now, and was asked what would it take for Virtanen to make the team.

His response was that they all know Jake has the physical attributes to play in the NHL. His shot, physical game, and skating is all top notch and ready to go, but they are interested to see how he emotionally develops in the game. Can he handle playing in more intense environment, more pressure, and can he learn to keep his emotions in check.

Interesting.

I thought Jake pretty much answered that question with the way he played when he was dropped into the heat of the Utica playoff run and performed pretty well in spite of not having much practice time with the team.