The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, theminister said:

Ritchie's exemption wasn't because of his birthday. It's because he had played four full years of CHL. 

He looks like the typical Duck.  I'm shocked the Leafs didn't pick him, especially him being a big bodied guy, which they are really missing in their forward prospect group.  

59 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Clune just roughed up Jake. Pretty dirty play but what you expect out of a player like him.

Jake seems to be okay.

JV should go and annihilate their most skilled D man, and whisper in his ear that this keeps coming unless you call off the dog.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I tried.  Wrong thread though

I know it's the wrong thread, but if one Leaf deserves to have some success come his way it's Bernier.  A hat trick of shut outs is pretty cool.  I wonder if that's some kind of AHL record?  Now watch, Virtanen will score and ruin it. 

0's across the board tonight for Jake. No big hits or anything.

I know he's just coming back from injury, but if he can't make an impact at this level right now, he needs to go play in the world juniors. We have other players that can swap in and out of the lineup if that's the role they want for him.

After he comes back from the world juniors, they can slot him in again and see where he's at. If he hasn't got his mojo back, send him back to junior.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

0's across the board tonight for Jake. No big hits or anything.

I know he's just coming back from injury, but if he can't make an impact at this level right now, he needs to go play in the world juniors. We have other players that can swap in and out of the lineup if that's the role they want for him.

After he comes back from the wold juniors, they can slot him in again and see where he's at. If he hasn't got his mojo back, send him back to junior.

I'm not totally disregarding your plan, but think the Nucks will send him to the WJC, but will keep him up when he does come back.  Then next season, he will play in Utica, and continue to develop in the A.  I think.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

What mojo?  He hasn't had mojo since 2014.   This is just another big let down

I'm starting to follow your lead on this one 88 (Big Es #).  JV has got to show some offence to go along with his elite speed, strength, and compete.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This mojo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7hMWHUg4Rw 

They're rushing him right now. And he's not gonna get any momentum going if he's in and out of the lineup every other game.

He should have been with the hitmen.  I said it in the summer.  I said it during preseason. I'm saying it now. 

Nhl body. Chl smarts. Not ready yet. Keep him up and wreck him or send him down to bake more. 

Just now, Gooseberries said:

He should have been with the hitmen.  I said it in the summer.  I said it during preseason. I'm saying it now. 

Nhl body. Chl smarts. Not ready yet. Keep him up and wreck him or send him down to bake more. 

I can see the argument for McCann staying. He's producing and we lack center depth.

But we don't need Virtanen on the team right. Especially not as a pressbox guy. He needs to be playing every single game to improve.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I can see the argument for McCann staying. He's producing and we lack center depth.

But we don't need Virtanen on the team right. Especially not as a pressbox guy. He needs to be playing every single game to improve.

Definitely. Like horvat last year, mccann had earned him self a keep on this team. We are better with him than without him. Like you said when virtanen is in the press box no one wins.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It's hard to compete when you don't know what the hell you are doing out there.  He floats around, doesn't go to the net, he's afraid to get the puck because he doesn't want to screw up, sure he gets a big hit once in awhile but that's only because that's his special gift.  If he had elite speed, strength AND compete he wouldn't be struggling as much as he is.  5 points in 30 pro games thus far,  one third of those games being of the AHL variety as well.   He wants to compete, but he just isn't ready.

I suppose I need to lower my expectations, but man it's quite disappointing.  As of right now it looks like I will be watching Jake as a bottom 6 grinder for the next 10 years

Yup.  I used to fight with you on this, but - as Duran said to Leonard - "NO MAS".  Thank God McCann dropped to us at 24.  JV has to learn to play with his head, both without and with the puck.

36 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It's hard to compete when you don't know what the hell you are doing out there.  He floats around, doesn't go to the net, he's afraid to get the puck because he doesn't want to screw up, sure he gets a big hit once in awhile but that's only because that's his special gift.  If he had elite speed, strength AND compete he wouldn't be struggling as much as he is.  5 points in 30 pro games thus far,  one third of those games being of the AHL variety as well.   He wants to compete, but he just isn't ready.

I suppose I need to lower my expectations, but man it's quite disappointing.  As of right now it looks like I will be watching Jake as a bottom 6 grinder for the next 10 years

For Christ Sake have some patiences, If people gave up on prospects after 20 NHL games a lot of the leagues stars would be consider busts

Edited by Gstank29
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gstank29 said:

For Christ Sake have some patiences, If people gave up on prospects after 20 NHL games a lot of the leagues stars would be consider busts

I really don't think Christ cares much about hockey, being from the Middle East.  Plus, Elvis 15 has been harping on this point for a long time now.  Sure JV is only 19, and he has elite potential, but we are not seeing it - other than physical play earlier in his time here.  The kid needs time to mature, and Elvis is right about that.  

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

But you can guarantee Demkos elite NHL status after watching some College games? 

It's my opinion, bruh.   I see little potential, a severe lack of hockey IQ will hold him back.   I ain't giving up on him, I'm rooting for him all the way.

WJCs, U18, Collage games, and some of the U17s  I've watch a ton of Demko. And yes he is the real deal. I thought that before he was drafted and will continue to think that until proven otherwise

Edited by Gstank29

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

But you can guarantee Demkos elite NHL status after watching some College games? 

It's my opinion, bruh.   I see little potential, a severe lack of hockey IQ will hold him back.   I ain't giving up on him, I'm rooting for him all the way.

Havent hear you say that before:rolleyes: literally every second page is you saying the same thing